The Bottle Thread

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
thebottlevault
Frequent Bubbler

Re: The Bottle Thread

Post by thebottlevault »

Hi Citycatred! You have a Washington State wine bottle, from 1957. These screw top bottles decorated with grapes and grape leaves were popular in the 1950's. No real value here but something fun to find diving!

David
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

My latest find. listerine bottle with whats left of a cork and old listerine! I am now having an internal struggle as to leaving the cork in or pulling it to clean the inside of the bottle
Attachments
20121026_005333.jpg
20121026_005325.jpg
thebottlevault
Frequent Bubbler

Post by thebottlevault »

Hi Dive Monkey, a cool find with original contents! The bottle itself is super common, again, a very successful company that produced millions of these bottles over the years. From the photos, yours looks like either a machine made cork top or a machine made transitional tab top bottle, dating from the 1910-1920's time period. I've found these listerine bottles in 1 oz, 2 oz, 4 oz. In my own collection, I have a 20 INCH tall Listerine Drug Store display bottle! Same shape as the cork top examples, but huge!
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

The latest find. looks to be a medicine bottle.
Attachments
20121125_164832.jpg
20121125_164724.jpg
20121125_163042.jpg
20121125_163014.jpg
thebottlevault
Frequent Bubbler

Post by thebottlevault »

Hi Dive Monkey, thanks for keeping this thread alive! :)

You are correct, this is a medicine / pharmacy bottle. Because the top of the bottle shows a "reinforced" double lip style, it would date after 1910. If there is an "Owens Ring" on the underside of the base, it is a machine made bottle, otherwise from the pics it could be handblown. Sorry to say, no value here, IF it had the name of the drug store embossed in the glass it could be a really good bottle.

David
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

I tend to find a lot of ink and medicine bottles in our channel. One of my favorite things to find are the Medical Department, USN bottles. I have a couple in various sizes that I have sent to my mom to display in her house.....

We've also found lots of dishes, most of which have been given away or donated to the Larkspur Cafe.

Thanks for signing on Dave. With your knowledge, we'll be sure to keep you busy with questions.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
thebottlevault
Frequent Bubbler

Post by thebottlevault »

Nice pics of the bottles and china, sitkadiver!

I knew of some old timers that dove off Port Townsend WA and they found many of the USN Medical Department and U.S. Marine Hospital bottles. They are pretty old, dating from the 1880-1910 time period.

Have you found any Alaska embossed medicine or pharmacy bottles, they are quite valuable!
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Dave,

I haven't found anything with embossing from Alaska. I imagine there were would be very few in Southeast as most of our commodities were brought up from Seattle. And still are in fact... A few divers in the area have found Russian bottles. Those I'm told are very rare and almost impossible to find information about since the Russian government has changed so dramatically in the last two centuries.

I have a Fox snappy drink bottle I'll get a photo of and an unknown product from SBA, Seattle Bottlers Association.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Ceramic Bottle

Post by Chris Borgen »

Hey David,

Maybe you can help me identify this one. Ceramic, a lion stamped in the top, and there is some fancy writing on the lead piece at the top but I cannot make it out. Thanks

-Chris
Attachments
CIMG4603.jpg
CIMG4602.jpg
Maritime Documentation Society
http://www.maritimedocumentation.org
thebottlevault
Frequent Bubbler

Post by thebottlevault »

Hi Sitkadiver, those Russian bottles sound good, especially since they would be quite old and from the early days of Alaska being settled by the Russians.

And actually there are a fair amount of SE Alaska embossed drug store bottles, I've seen them embossed from Douglas, Wrangell, Ketchikan, Juneau, Valdez, and perhaps a few other towns that don't come to mind right now. There are several varieties from Fairbanks, and I've seen an embossed druggist dose medicine glass from Iditarod. And you may come across the blob top Hutchinson soda bottles, there are some from Nome, and one that seemed to show up in SE Alaska, the Distilled Soda Water Company of Alaska. Also there is a Zarembo Mineral Springs bottle (SE Alaska), both in torpedo shape, and regular shape, the regular crown top style is embossed "Alaska." Good luck and hope you find some!

Hi Chris, nice pics and cool pottery bottle. This one is European, most likely from The Netherlands. They put out a wide variety of these bottles, most have the incuse or "stamped in" markings in the pottery, some have symbols or animal markings, others just text. They usually come handled, though a few do not have applied handles. These liquor bottles date from the 1870's to the 1910's. I have found a few while bottle digging, and they are not rare, but not too common either. Value probably around $20 or so at the most. A neat historic item you have!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Dive Monkey wrote:The latest find. looks to be a medicine bottle.
Hey Dive Monkey,
Tom nic found a bottle just like yours, @ Three Tree N.
the wierd symbol at the top that looks like a funky 3, is actually a symbol for "4 Ounces"
Tom's wife confirmed that, by putting an exact measured amount of 4 ounces of water and it filled the bottle right to the top.
But now...
Here's one for this page, What do you think about these bottles that my Daughter recently aquired. :neener:
Front view
Front view
Side view
Side view
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

http://edmonds.patch.com/articles/the-e ... to-7613412

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/ ... ISOPTR=445
This is my most recent found treasure... 100 fsw @ TTN!
This is my most recent found treasure... 100 fsw @ TTN!
It's neat to see how the slope of the road, stayed the same
Or maybe it was in Renton (1927)
Or maybe it was in Renton (1927)
This is exactly why I enjoy Bottle Hunting!
Maybe I'll get aorund ti visiting these museums and see if there might be a place, for my little creamer bottle there! :notworthy:
Last edited by BASSMAN on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

BASSMAN wrote:
Dive Monkey wrote:The latest find. looks to be a medicine bottle.
Hey Dive Monkey,
Tom nic found a bottle just like yours, @ Three Tree N.
the wierd symbol at the top that looks like a funky 3, is actually a symbol for "4 Ounces"
Tom's wife confirmed that, by putting an exact measured amount of 4 ounces of water and it filled the bottle right to the top.
But now...
Here's one for this page, What do you think about these bottles that my Daughter recently aquired. :neener:
EMBALMING FLUID BOTTLES 003.jpg
EMBALMING FLUID BOTTLES 004.jpg

Nice! Bucknaked also found one of those at three tree. I need to get out there since all of the storm action.Nice undertaker fluid!
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

Nice eagle cafe as well!
Jackie Timothy
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Jackie Timothy »

I found a coca cola bottle that matches everything posted about this one except the stamp is Portland Ore. Do you have info about that one?

Thanks. . .Jackie
thebottlevault
Frequent Bubbler

Post by thebottlevault »

Hi Jackie, sorry to say I don't have any info on that bottle. Assuming it is that same "deco" style bottle as the Seattle example, it dates from the 1920's, and probably was a flavor bottle (Orange, Lemon, Grape soda) from the Coca Cola bottler. Not much value, but a neat item nonetheless.

David
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

I have 1 bottle up here I found....Bottles r so cool......
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Diver_Dave wrote:I have 1 bottle up here I found....Bottles r so cool......
Okay Dave, Post a picture of the, one bottle, you found. :partyman:
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

It broke...
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Found this stuff last weekend here in Sitka.

I thought the Orange Crush bottle was cool. I'm sure it's common, but I still like that it had Centralia Wash. on the bottom.

I'm going to put the Orange Crush bottom next to my Fox Snappy drink bottle.

And here's the medicine bottle that's label Davis on the front, Vegetable on one side and painkiller on the other

The unnamed medicine bottle has lots of bubbles in the glass: Hope the macro worked....

-Charles Lindbergh
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Was a good dive for me last night jim jim.....
Attachments
IMG_7391.JPG
IMG_7392.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
thebottlevault
Frequent Bubbler

Post by thebottlevault »

Hi Sitka Diver, yes, all commons but that Orange Crush from Centralia is a better example. I've not seen that one before, have had plenty from other towns. The Fox Snappy Drinks is the typical odd style deco bottle from the 1920's-30's. The Davis Vegetable Pain Killer is a cool bottle, yours look screw top, can't quite tell. This medicine goes way back to the 1850's and the early examples come with pontil scarred base. This medicine was featured in the Tom Sawyer Huck Finn book.

Hi Diver Dave, some cool items, love the steamship china and that cool larger plate with the child. The pumpkinseed whiskey flask dates from the 1890's is common but still a cool shape. Ditto with the amber blob top beer. Any embossing on either of those? The stoneware ale two tone bottle dates from the 1880's, was typical ballast (filled with ale) when the ships from England would come over to the USA for natural resources to bring back to Europe. The bottles would be offloaded and sold and the hold filled with stuff to bring back. Neat items!
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Bottles from the night dives....
Attachments
IMG_9067.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Anyone have a background source location for a Seattle bottlers association What i found looks like a 6 oz soda pop bottle only labeling is SBA on the neck at two locations and Seattle Bottlers association. I have not really cleaned it up yet so I haven't posted pics. The seam runs all the way through the lip which leads me to that it is a ABM bottle after 1903 but I don't have anything else. Thanks for the help.

This bottle ID stuff can be a lot of fun.
Last dive brought up a
1929 Clorox bottle
3 Heinz bottles 1 pickled item from 29 to 37 ,one ketchup from 1918 to 19 43 and a brown mustard bottle from 1918 to 1925
And an old paste jar with the center tube for the brush to sit

Again thanks for the help and any leads
Herb