SCUBA Progress

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

SCUBA Progress

Post by ArcticDiver »

A great day of physical progress by riding a bike is one thing. But this is primarily a scuba site and is the other of my two main hobies. Because I can pedal with the main body of the foot but have to use the forefoot for finning cycling ability is a bit further along than scuba.

Nerve damage had weakened my feet to the point they both sort of flopped when I walked. On the ankle exercise machine I couldn't move the machine with no weights. That meant neither cycling nor scuba were possible.

Since July I've improved to the point I can move the ankle machine with 65# and, as I posted, ride a few miles. I still don't have enough strenth to fin or climb a ladder on a dive boat. I think when I get to the point of being able to do a body weight calf raise I will be ready to dive again. My goal is to be ready for my scheduled January trip to Hawaii. We'll see how well that goes.
Last edited by ArcticDiver on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: SCUBA Progress

Post by nwbobber »

How is your upper body strength? Maybe diving from a RIB would be a possibility? I find them easier to get into than (most) ladders anyway.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Re: SCUBA Progress

Post by ArcticDiver »

nwbobber wrote:How is your upper body strength? Maybe diving from a RIB would be a possibility? I find them easier to get into than (most) ladders anyway.
Upper body strength as well as body fat percentage have both taken a real hit over this time. But, I think once I get a wee bit further along so the legs can handle the shore part of the evolution that would be a possiblity.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.