Shooters

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Shooters

Post by Nwcid »

Well my other post has taken an interesting turn. I did not realize that we had so many shooters on this board. That is one of my other main hobbies. Luckily I live on the east side so lots of places to shoot here.

Here is my backyard, 300 yard range,

John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Shooters

Post by Jeff Pack »

I was debating building an underground shooting range on my property, but the water table is too high. :( (Just for small caliber stuff at 25-50yd)

I've got spots out in the mountains where I fire the big sticks at 800-1000M without being bothered. One spot at 2500M for the 50, but its across a valley and you cant get windage, so I usually go to a friends place in Eastern Washington, although that 50 ammo gets pretty spendy and my shoulder hurts. Even the .300WM gets tiring after awhile. Been debating a .338 Lapua, a few friends of mine have them,they sure shoot sweet.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Post by Don-B »

Guns and Shooting are my other main hobby also.
I'm mostly a rifle guy but still handy with a pistol.
Right now i'm a member of Tacoma Rifle and Revolver club where i do most of my shooting.
I wish there were some good places to shoot 1000+yds over here on the west side but theres not.

.338 Lapuas rocks! :supz:
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

I used to shoot at the back of my car lot. My mechanic said it brought in business. But then I moved the lot to town. Even in Oroville they won't humor me so I don't get as much ammo burned now. Sad state of affairs.

Brian
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

You can tell the kind of people I've been around recently. I thought you were talking about those jello thingies that are filled with cheap booze. :)

On a more serious note I'm in the process of getting rid of a few 1960's era rifles and pistols. A hobby that grew from work but not any more. I'll keep a few around though for peace of mind.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

This guy might benefit from some range time: http://mercerisland.komonews.com/news/8 ... f-buttocks
Think he might be the butt of a few jokes?
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

That is one of those funny but not things.

Glad to see there are a few others that like to shoot on here.
John

coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

How about let's have a 300 yard shootout one of these days at your backyard. That would be a blast. We could setup balloons at 300 yards and shoot it all day (I mean, lots of balloons). That way, we don't have to walk and check every now and then if we hit paper. My .300 Win Mag's barrel needs to be warm again. I'll bring the brats to be grilled.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

coulterboy wrote:How about let's have a 300 yard shootout one of these days at your backyard. That would be a blast. We could setup balloons at 300 yards and shoot it all day (I mean, lots of balloons). That way, we don't have to walk and check every now and then if we hit paper. My .300 Win Mag's barrel needs to be warm again. I'll bring the brats to be grilled.

I have offered that before many time and no one has taken me up on it. Spring is best. There is no walking out to set stuff up, I have ATV's.

Balloons are fun but I have steel targets. Another one that is super cool is save up your used bottles and fill them with water. It is super cool to shoot them with silenced rifles, watch the target explode then hear the impact about 1 second later.

I only have one spare couch but I have lots of "camping" room.

I even live 15 min away from a diveable body of water, Lake Roosevelt. There is not much to see and in the spring the water will be WAY down.
John

RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Nwcid wrote:
coulterboy wrote:How about let's have a 300 yard shootout one of these days at your backyard. That would be a blast. We could setup balloons at 300 yards and shoot it all day (I mean, lots of balloons). That way, we don't have to walk and check every now and then if we hit paper. My .300 Win Mag's barrel needs to be warm again. I'll bring the brats to be grilled.

I have offered that before many time and no one has taken me up on it. Spring is best. There is no walking out to set stuff up, I have ATV's.

Balloons are fun but I have steel targets. Another one that is super cool is save up your used bottles and fill them with water. It is super cool to shoot them with silenced rifles, watch the target explode then hear the impact about 1 second later.

And here I was thinking you meant those old AL80s when you said bottles... :pirate: But little bottles would be fun too...

Jim

I even live 15 min away from a diveable body of water, Lake Roosevelt. There is not much to see and in the spring the water will be WAY down.
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Well depending on the cost to make them functional it very well could be the 8 old AL80's and an old O2 tank I have here. That is how this thread got started.
John

RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Nwcid wrote:Well depending on the cost to make them functional it very well could be the 8 old AL80's and an old O2 tank I have here. That is how this thread got started.
Yeah, I saw that after reading the other threads... <oops> Sure would be fun...

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Nwcid wrote: It is super cool to shoot them with silenced rifles, watch the target explode then hear the impact about 1 second later.
one of my pet peeves, there's no such thing as a silencer, its a suppressor... :)

My old Master Chief used to chide the team newbies if they ever called one a silencer.

Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Jeff Pack wrote:
Nwcid wrote: It is super cool to shoot them with silenced rifles, watch the target explode then hear the impact about 1 second later.
one of my pet peeves, there's no such thing as a silencer, its a suppressor... :)

My old Master Chief used to chide the team newbies if they ever called one a silencer.

Well according to the ATF there is only "Silencers" and that is what all of my paperwork says. I am going with the ATF on this one since it is what keeps me legal. http://www.atf.gov/publications/downloa ... pter-2.pdf I can easily agree that the function of a silencer is to suppress the muzzle blast of a firearm.

The name silencer is just that, a name not a description of its exact function. I can think of thousands of items who's names are not exact description of there function.......
John

camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

<grumbles> I am waiting for the ATF to wade through the insane backlog of applications for a permit to own one right now. Everything is threaded and ready to go with the new AR I custom built for one of them, but all that's on there is a flash hider at the moment. I just need the government folks to pull their heads out and actually do the job of cranking though paperwork... :(
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

If I am lucky I fire 5-6 shots a year.... This year I only pulled the trigger once.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nwcid wrote:

I don't know jack about rifles or shooting in general, really, but that sounds like a lot of fun.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

camerone wrote:<grumbles> I am waiting for the ATF to wade through the insane backlog of applications for a permit to own one right now. Everything is threaded and ready to go with the new AR I custom built for one of them, but all that's on there is a flash hider at the moment. I just need the government folks to pull their heads out and actually do the job of cranking though paperwork... :(
I have heard it is getting long. I have had all mine quit some time. Shortest paperwork time for me was 5 weeks. Longest was on a "pre-order" unit took about 4 mo from the time I ordered it and had it in my hand.
John

Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

spatman wrote:
Nwcid wrote:

I don't know jack about rifles or shooting in general, really, but that sounds like a lot of fun.
Well if enough people want to and don't mind "camping" out (closest town is 20 miles away) I would be happy to host a shooting/ATV/BBQ weekend. If someone wants to work on setting it all up that would be even better. April-May is usually best. Warm enough to be nice, not to wet, not so dry.
John

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I would totally be down for a 300 yard shootout. I just sighted in a trijicon optic I had to put on a riser on my AR (which is set up for distance) and am curious about the added parallax. Did fine at 100 yards but 300 would be a good test.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
Nwcid wrote:

Pitch in for some ammo and we can shoot my Remington PSS .308. It's a tack driver. Not much fun at 100 yards, because all the bullets keep going through the same hole. At 300, it's a lot more about skill.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Nwcid wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:

Well according to the ATF there is only "Silencers" and that is what all of my paperwork says. I am going with the ATF on this one since it is what keeps me legal. http://www.atf.gov/publications/downloa ... pter-2.pdf I can easily agree that the function of a silencer is to suppress the muzzle blast of a firearm.

The name silencer is just that, a name not a description of its exact function. I can think of thousands of items who's names are not exact description of there function.......
Except technically, they dont silence, they suppress sound, as you still get the ballistic crack of the round, unless you fire subsonic ammo.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Nwcid wrote:That is one of those funny but not things.

Glad to see there are a few others that like to shoot on here.
I've seen similar threads a bunch of times- especially on Tech diving sites. For some reason, lots of divers are also shooters. And pilots- pilots and motorcycle racers *really* like rebreather diving for some reason.

There used to be a great essay about this on a website that finally disappeared- a guy was talking about how he trained Navy pilots- and how almost every one of them had a hobby like: Shooting, diving, woodworking, and a whole bunch of other stuff. His main point was that some of us enjoy using machinery of one kind or another to accomplish things that we couldn't do without the machinery- I'm kind of botching it up here, the way he phrased it was most excellent. I'll shoot him an email and ask if he still has that page archived somewhere.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Tangfish wrote:I would totally be down for a 300 yard shootout. I just sighted in a trijicon optic I had to put on a riser on my AR (which is set up for distance) and am curious about the added parallax. Did fine at 100 yards but 300 would be a good test.
Riser? Do tell. I put a Trijicon ACOG on my AR, too, but it's not set in for 300 yards. I'd _like_ to have a range to sight it in at that distance... the rest of the components support it being accurate out there (Novesky barrel, Geissele SSA-E two stage trigger, and a billet aluminum matched upper and lower from Mega Arms in nickel boron, plus the usual Magpul Farkles we all love!)
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Nwcid wrote:I have heard it is getting long. I have had all mine quit some time. Shortest paperwork time for me was 5 weeks. Longest was on a "pre-order" unit took about 4 mo from the time I ordered it and had it in my hand.
I sat next to an ATF agent on a plane about a month ago, on my way back home from work down in California. He was telling me it's running almost 10 months right now for the Class III permits. That's just crazy.

Ammo prices have shot up, too. The same 1000 rounds of plinking .223 I usually buy went from $300 up to $360 when I restocked. At least 9mm has remained fairly constant and cheap...

It's getting hard to find certain guns these days, too. Been wanting a Ruger Mini-30 for a while, just to have something 7.62 with some accuracy (unlike an AK), but they're apparently manufactured out of un-obtanium or other such alloy...