Cloud Sponge info

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Winter
Dive-aholic

Cloud Sponge info

Post by Winter »

Im a student at The Evergreen State College in Olympia currently compiling data on cloud sponges for a report. I have done plenty of research and what I would like from the dive community would be a list of areas you have dove with cloud sponges with a description of abundance, aprox. Depth, size, condition of the sponges current and in past, residents living in vacinity. .....anything that might help me get a bigger picture where these exotic creatures live and related history.

Also I will be looking to take some additional footage of them in the next week or two, if there is a experienced diver to go with me. Let me know! Waynne is out of the water for 6 weeks because of next surgery.

THANKS soo much in advance for your participation.if :notworthy:

Jacqueline Winter
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Cloud Sponge info

Post by CaptnJack »

Is there are Geographic scope to this report? They are way more common up north.

There are a few here and there in Hood Canal. Flag pole being the most noteworthy. Some in the Gedney bar area. Most are small maybe 20cm x 20cm growths. And in "so so" condition with lots of broken peices. Patch size in WA is <1m2 which is "small" compared to up north.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

Flagpole is my favorite and I have alsio seen some at sund rock although I havent spent much time at either.
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Hi Jackie,

Don't forget Sponge Hill in Hood Canal. I think that site has the highest concentration of Cloud Sponges for the Hood Canal dive sites. Most of the South and East sides of the hill are covered with Cloud Sponges of all shapes and sizes.
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

Oh ive nevee dove sponge hill but ive seen your it on your page.
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

There's a couple small patches of cloud sponge on the West Wall of Pulali Point at about 120'. Nothing like the abundance at Flagpole or Sponge Hill, but interesting to note that it's there.
don
www.pacadventure.com
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I've never dove them but I recall reading about sponges on a slope just south of Dewatto Bay which interested me since my family has property a little further up Hood Canal.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

renoun wrote:I've never dove them but I recall reading about sponges on a slope just south of Dewatto Bay.
I forgot all about the Clould Sponge at DeWatto! Thanks for reminding me! If I remember correctly, we saw a single cloud sponge on a rocky ledge at about 110' (see the crappy photo below).

I think we found a similar Single Cloud sponge on the rock ledges off of Gold Beach (Maury Island) as well.
Attachments
Lonely Cloud Sponge at Dewatto
Lonely Cloud Sponge at Dewatto
Last edited by boydski on Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

boydski wrote:Hi Jackie,

Don't forget Sponge Hill in Hood Canal. I think that site has the highest concentration of Cloud Sponges for the Hood Canal dive sites. Most of the South and East sides of the hill are covered with Cloud Sponges of all shapes and sizes.
Thanks for posting that, Scott. Sponge Hill is going up to the top of the list.
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

Ah yes, Sponge Hill. Lots of Cloud Sponge....
[youtube]http://youtu.be/sI2gN57RPRM[/youtube]

...with an occasional Six Gill amongst them....
[youtube]http://youtu.be/xKzmxutryAg[/youtube]

Rumor has it Don Coleman runs trips there from time to time.

-Mark
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

PeninsulaDiver wrote:Rumor has it Don Coleman runs trips there from time to time.

-Mark
Gotta stow away on one of those soon! If you're making a list, add me to it!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman