Any campers out there?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Any campers out there?

Post by Linedog »

One of the many things that I do in my limited spare time is to go "camping" in our travel trailer. My wife and I drove around hood canal last weekend, Gig Harbor to Coupeville then back to the Harbor via Olympia. We stopped in a few campgrounds along the way and she remarked that when we're close to a dive site I should bring my gear and grab a dive or two. Anyone combined camping and diving?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Any campers out there?

Post by Joshua Smith »

Linedog wrote:One of the many things that I do in my limited spare time is to go "camping" in our travel trailer. My wife and I drove around hood canal last weekend, Gig Harbor to Coupeville then back to the Harbor via Olympia. We stopped in a few campgrounds along the way and she remarked that when we're close to a dive site I should bring my gear and grab a dive or two. Anyone combined camping and diving?
That's illegal.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I do all the time! I stay at Fort Warden a lot(Port Townsend) You can dive right across from the lower campground as well as at Hudson point which is just a couple of miles away.

There are a couple of state campgrounds along the hood that are nice and there are a couple of nice private ones as well.

Salt creek campground is county owned with some nice sites as well.

During the summer months it can be tough to get into the state camps. You need to make reservations in a lot of them and they book up on the weekends quickly. It gets way easier after September. In the winter months many parks are near empty
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

No, but I want to. Thinking Hood Canal.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Yes, Salt Creek. There's a site south of Sund Rock near the power station that I've used (forget the name, it's been awhile). I think there may be some out at Neah Bay also (Snow Creek?). Getting air can be a challenge at some sites and deserves some thought.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Glen Ayr is one(Hoodsport), and you can dive off their dock if you stay there. Glen Ayr Wall is pretty awesome and is used for tec dive training.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jeff Pack wrote:Glen Ayr is one(Hoodsport), and you can dive off their dock if you stay there. Glen Ayr Wall is pretty awesome and is used for tec dive training.
Where / how deep does the wall start? Is it a recreational dive as well or does it start at technical depths?
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Good question, I don't recall. Jeff Gerritsen would be the guy to ask.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jeff Pack wrote:Good question, I don't recall. Jeff Gerritsen would be the guy to ask.
Ah... deep air days, huh? :calvin:
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I do remember the bottom though, definitely non recreational :)

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

If you can remember the bottom that's a good sign. :rofl:
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

If I can remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, that's good sign...

Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

Glenn Ayr dock is a steep slope with not much life or things to poke around in. But, great for practicing skills and deep diving. Easy access in and out with stairs, just a short walk across the road, just like Yellow house access. If you stay there, they have lockable Dive lockers and a cleaning station for post dives with heaters. ( 10.00 per locker per stay ). No tent camping I don't think, RV and Room rentals. Great game room and huge hot tub included BBQ's and Dog walks. Only a few miles down the road to Sund Rock and Octopus Hole. Hoodsport dive shop is a few miles other direction.

I would highly recommend. Have personally stayed there over a dozen times in last few yrs. I only use the RV spots, never used the Rooms ( no dive gear allowed in rooms FYI )
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

We have done a good amount of camping and diving. We have done Waldo lake, Crescent City/Smith river, the Illinois river, Hood Canal, Lake Billie Chinook, Whiskey Town and a few others. I have often thought that an RV with and outside shower would be excellent for such a proposal... but we have been tent campers for our excursions. I forgot the question you were asking. :rawlings:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

On hood canal we stayed at potlatch, before they "rennovated" it.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

I've combined the two activities in the past, but I've only succeeded in getting a dive in when I was staying at a cabin. Tent camping just incorporated too much gear to add dive gear to the load. Not sure how much room you have in your travel trailer, but I'm guessing you have more space than we have on our boat.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh