Not A Never Ending Saga I Hope

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Not A Never Ending Saga I Hope

Post by ArcticDiver »

Seems like this has been going on forever. In one perspective it nearly has. Trauma in May 2011. Little surgery that helped some in July 2011. Definitive major surgery in April 2012. Released from initial post-op restrictions in July 2012. Repeatedly given counseling that I had major surgery to address a major problem and that it really is an experiment with uncertain outome.

Because I know others have a variety of back and spine problems I've tried to keep folks up to speed on how things are going. I'll not repeat them here. If you are interested they are still on this site.

Today was another milestone. I have been riding bicycles but have had such weak forefeet and ankles that I have been using flat pedals. To mount the bike I lay it over almost all the way and then pull the bike up between my legs. Depending on how tired my feet are after the ride I either get off with some drama or just find a soft spot and fall off.

Today I wore my bike shoes and clipped in to the SPD pedals on a Spin Bike. I was able to pedal sitting and for up to a minute at a time standing. By the time I get to the States later this month I should be able to do the same with a real bike. Wonderful.

No pain other than from over exertion. Able to walk a mile with some effort. Feet getting better. Able to get in and out of the water with minimal assisstance. Can scuba be far behind?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: Not A Never Ending Saga I Hope

Post by oldsalt »

Hang in there. I feel some parallel experiences in the rehabbing of my new hip. My surgeon said it should have been done 10-20 years ago. Today is 2 weeks after surgery. I'm walking with much less pain, but still not ready to ascend the seven summits or compete in the ironman. Your road has been much longer, and the consequences much greater. Your accomplishments inspire us. I'm pulling for you.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Sounds like scuba could be on the near horizon; I was able to get back to it after my surgery by having my buddies carry my gear to the water and putting it on there, where there was basically no weight on my spine. You might think about trying that...
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

dwashbur wrote:Sounds like scuba could be on the near horizon; I was able to get back to it after my surgery by having my buddies carry my gear to the water and putting it on there, where there was basically no weight on my spine. You might think about trying that...
Right now my problem isn't with the spine. It is with weak feet and ankles, and to a lesser extent, with one leg. Nerves are not adequately innervating the muscles in those areas. I'm only using light weights, 2x30# dumbells, for my standing and moving work and need to bace my legs against the weight bench to keep from falling. But, it is getting better. Today I was able to do leg presses with over 200#. Very light compared to pre-trauma. But, much better than a month ago. One toe that was completely numb and rigid a month ago now has some feeling and I can slightly move it. Think walking on your heels with very limited foot support.

When the feet and ankles come on board with the rest of my body I'm going to do exactly what you did. How soon depends on how fast the nerves and muscles come back. I wish there were a way to speed up that process. So, far I haven't found one. But I'm still looking.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Have you looked into pilates in addition to your weight training? (It was developed for rehab)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

OK, I misunderstood. As they might say in German, mein Gupf!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Impressed by your determination. God speed, sir.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

ljjames wrote:Have you looked into pilates in addition to your weight training? (It was developed for rehab)
No I haven't. But I will. Thanks.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

I say it over and over becauuse it is so important. Your support is really appreciated. As pointed out by spatman and my exchanges we have different symptoms and will probably have different things we have to live with when healing has gone as far as it can. But, we all have similar emotional challenges that y'all are key is coping with.

In different vein it is interesting how people's reaction to me now is different than when I was struggling on crutches, a walker and spent time in a wheel chair. Back then people couldn't be more helpful and courteous. Many went out of their way to ask if they could help. I think it was because I looked wounded.

Now it seems I've joined the ranks of the disabled. Traveling with my cane I've had people look me in the eye and walk into me. One, when I was disembarking at the airport, while we were in the jet way told me to get out of the way and then, that I should wait until last so I wouldn't hold him up. The other day I had a woman push me down in her race to get by me. I've heard tales before that disabled people have to put up with a lot of casual abuse. Now that I've experienced it I understand why some of them get pretty grumpy dispositions.

If we were wolves I could understand. Wolves drive crippled and weak out of the pack. But, we flatter ourselves that as humans we are civilized. If and when I get back to "normal", whatever that will be, I think I'm going to be a bit loud about how we treat folks who can't move as fast as others.