The GoPro Killer Has Arrived

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

The GoPro Killer Has Arrived

Post by H20doctor »

well it only took a couple of years but china has done it, yes you can now own a Gopro knock off for cheap cheap cheap.... I just bought one today and it will arrive next week... they have made many versions of this... first it was the SJ1000, and now they are up to the SJ4000.. At 89.00 on Ebay Im not complaining , thats a steal from the Gopro black 3+ selling at 399.00 ...

SPECS :

High-definition digital motion video recording device tailored to market demand.
It has a variety of industry-leading features including digital video recording, photo shooting, audio recording, video display and detachable battery, which makes it perfect for vehicle data recording, photo-shooting, outdoor sports, home security, deep-water probing, etc., allowing you to film at anytime, anywhere.
Water-resistant casing that allows you to film fascinating water sports; water-resistant up to 30 meters under water
High definition screen that displays and replays fascinating videos recorded.
Detachable battery that is easy to replace and prolongs your camera’s service life.
Video recording while charging.
Video recording with battery.
12-megapixel HD wide-angle lens.
HDMI HD output.
Web camera.
Support storage cards up to 32GB maximum.
Multiple video recording formats: 1080P 720P WVGA
Recorded in MOV format
Multiple photo shooting modes: Single shot, Snapper
Video encryption enabled
Mini appearance, diversified colors available
Specifications:

Display (LCD) 1.5 Inch
Lens 170°A+ HD wide-angle lens
Color White
Language English / German / French / Spanish / Italian / Portuguese / Chinese Traditional / Chinese Simplified / Japanese / Russian
Resolution 1080P (1920*1080 ) 30FPS
720P (1280*720) 60FPS
VGA ( 848*480) 60FPS
QVGA (640*480) 60FPS
Video Format MOV
Format of Videos H.264
Resolution of Photos 12M / 8M / 5M
Storage Micro SD(Not Included)
Shooting Mode Single Shot
Self-timer (2s / 5s / 10s / Continuous Shooting)
Frequency of Optical Source 50Hz / 60Hz
USB Interface USB2.0
Power Source Interface 5V1A
Battery Capacity 900MAH
Power Dissipation 400mA 4.2V
Recording Time 1080P/ About 70 minutes
Charging Time About 3hours
Operating System (OS) Windows XP/VistaorAbove/Win7/Mac os
Dimension 59.27*41.13*29.28
41eTJHHIs-L._SY300_.jpg
41eTJHHIs-L._SY300_.jpg (9.85 KiB) Viewed 7460 times
download.jpg
download.jpg (7.76 KiB) Viewed 7460 times
images 1.jpg
images 1.jpg (6.46 KiB) Viewed 7460 times
phpBB [video]
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: The GoPro Killer Has Arrived

Post by Dusty2 »

It will be interesting to see how it performs in real life. At least this one seems fully functional in the case which most of these are not and they are using a flat lens in the case which should do away with the distortion problems a lot of them have underwater.

Hope to hear glowing reports soon.
Fordman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Fordman »

Wow.. complete knockoff. I'm sure lawsuits will be filed.
AdrianSmith
Avid Diver

Post by AdrianSmith »

"Water-resistant up to 30m underwater" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for taking
it diving.

-Adrian
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

AdrianSmith wrote:"Water-resistant up to 30m underwater" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for taking
it diving.
A lot of these housings just have issues with the springs on the button assemblies preventing their operation below a certain depth. It's less about leaking than it is operation of the camera.

At that price, though, I wouldn't really care too much about flooding it. It's disposable for a vacation use, and less expensive than just about anything else on my dive kit other than a knife...

Looks interesting; somewhere between a GoPro2 and a GoPro3 in the feature set, but at a great price. It's tempting to play with one. Or two (3D video post processing anyone?)

-c
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I'm afraid with the flood of action cams out there today that GoPro is in deep dodo. They had the market all to themselves at first but it's not so any more and with heavy hitters like sony, JVC and others venturing in not to mention the Chinese knock offs the field is getting pretty muddy. The problem so far has been that most of them are more focused on the action cam side and don't do all the well underwater. The other part is the ones from china are of questionable quality. I will wait awhile and see what shakes out of the bunch. This one at least has readable stats so at least they seem to have someone who actually speaks English on staff.

Luck guys, I'll be listening for feedback.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Wouldn't be surprised if GoPro are manufactured outside the u.s. So the Chinese quality shouldn't be a huge issue. Gopro is valued at $2billion. I don't think they are terribly concerned about competition and knock offs. I am sure they saw it coming.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Scubie Doo wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if GoPro are manufactured outside the u.s. So the Chinese quality shouldn't be a huge issue. Gopro is valued at $2billion. I don't think they are terribly concerned about competition and knock offs. I am sure they saw it coming.
if you read the story of Gopro , The camera is made over in china ... Not the US ..

But i will have a full video report here soon
ratfishlvr
Avid Diver

Post by ratfishlvr »

Well I'm still learning to really use the go pro. But after getting some good advice with regard to the camera settings from people here, I have taken it to 80 ft locally with no lighting and got really good video. I'm adding extra light soon, but I think Ill stick with the original. To me... if others are copying it it must be the best..
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Interesting... may have to pick up a couple, at that price, one for back up.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

:popcorn:
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Any updates? Yay or nay?
H20doctor wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if GoPro are manufactured outside the u.s. So the Chinese quality shouldn't be a huge issue. Gopro is valued at $2billion. I don't think they are terribly concerned about competition and knock offs. I am sure they saw it coming.
if you read the story of Gopro , The camera is made over in china ... Not the US ..

But i will have a full video report here soon
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Yes I will post some video here in a week
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

get any time to upload these yet?

So what is your personal take on these?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i have put the gopro killer through the test... i used in Oahu and ive filmed with it here.. i would say at 85.00 you cant go wrong.. I have pushed the housing to 160 feet in my pressure pot and it didnt leak at all.. i have also taking it down to 138 feet my self with no issues... as far as picture quality ? in tropical water it looks great , in puget sound water .. Ok .. the only issue i see with the Sj4000 action cam is it tends to be digital grainy , like over sharpened ... i think this is due to the chip processor? it does have a white balance adjuster and you can see it adjusting here in the PNW when i shoot with it ... i will have a video comparison up shortly ... But for 85 bucks !! who cares ..its a pretty dam good camera
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

phpBB [video]
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Very interesting and thanks for the follow up. To be honest, I personally can't tell any big difference. I don't think I would be able to tell (from the YT vid) the difference unless you would of said.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

H20doctor wrote:i have put the gopro killer through the test... i used in Oahu and ive filmed with it here.. i would say at 85.00 you cant go wrong.. I have pushed the housing to 160 feet in my pressure pot and it didnt leak at all.. i have also taking it down to 138 feet my self with no issues... as far as picture quality ? in tropical water it looks great , in puget sound water .. Ok .. the only issue i see with the Sj4000 action cam is it tends to be digital grainy , like over sharpened ... i think this is due to the chip processor? it does have a white balance adjuster and you can see it adjusting here in the PNW when i shoot with it ... i will have a video comparison up shortly ... But for 85 bucks !! who cares ..its a pretty dam good camera

Yeah, at 85 USD, you cannot go wrong. I could see a little more color definition in the SJ4000, but you're right about the grainy texture. I paused to video in a few spots where I could see a straight line/letter or what not and the Gopro was a little better, but on a moving subject, it was not noticable.

Thanks for taking the time Chris, I appreciate it.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I will have a cold water video up in a day
monk
Avid Diver

Post by monk »

Did the coldwater lower light vid ever get created?

http://www.woot.com/ has the
"Fuhu nabi Square HD Rugged Childproof, Waterproof, Shockproof, 8MP, 1080p Action Camcorder" for $49.99 today.

"waterproof to 30m"

I'm wondering how it does in low light coldwater compared to the SJ4000.
johnclark
Aquaphile

Post by johnclark »

H20doctor quit diving. I doubt he'll be back to post that helpful video. =D
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

Still diving, dove with him at Redondo last night.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I did buy one of these and shot video but have not completed editing yet. I can say that the camera can handle 150fsw and the video that I have taken is certainly comparable. Hopefully I will get some time this weekend.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Well....he would reply but he can't because he's been banned... ha ha ha ha
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Norris wrote:I did buy one of these and shot video but have not completed editing yet. I can say that the camera can handle 150fsw and the video that I have taken is certainly comparable. Hopefully I will get some time this weekend.
Looking forward to seeing the vid Norris.