Non Scuba subject.

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Non Scuba subject.

Post by Linedog »

Things are a bit slow today so I thought I would put this out for discussion. I have used a disposable razor for as long as I can remember, (not the same one) yet never really satisfied with the quality of the shave. My son recently tried the whole straight razor thing, almost killed himself, that got me to reevaluate my shaving system. I now shave with a very nice double edged safety razor, and am quite happy with the results. I realize I'm not going to be saving any money shaving this way, cost will be close to the same. But I get a much closer shave, smell like my Dad, and I'm not tossing plastic razors in the landfill (I despise plastic water bottles). What's your whisker removal of choice?
image.jpg
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
camerone
Submariner

Re: Non Scuba subject.

Post by camerone »

I'm with you... tried them all. Started out with an electric, went to the Gillete Mach-4-billion-super-buzzy-trimix-bladed razors, and about five years ago switched to an old fashioned safety razor, good cream, and a badger hair brush. Never been happier. I got a nice, heavy, stainless Merkur Futura handle, and it works great... An alum block is something you probably should add to your collection. Really helps!

Irritation, ingrown hairs, razor burn are all gone for the most part. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper, and there are a great variety of blades out there... I bought a blade sampler years ago, and still am working through them.

Sure, it takes just a little more skill to use than those cartridge systems, but it's not that hard, and the results are worth it.

It's funny...never thought I would be that excited about something I end up having to do every day, but after years of issues, I am kicking myself for not trying out the good old-fashioned safety razor years ago.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Norelco. Finally replaced the batteries in my current one after 12 or so years. Every couple years I replace the cutters.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

I am using the dollar shave club. Yes I know your thinking "That is nuts and they are crappy razors". Well I have to say that they are great! I love them...the cost is awesome and it comes with a nice metal handle and all.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I use a tweezer. Takes a long time, but nothing leaves my face smoother.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

spatman wrote:I use a tweezer. Takes a long time, but nothing leaves my face smoother.
How long can 7 hairs take? :smt064
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Dollar shave club here. "Are their razors any good?...Nah...they are @#$! Great!!

http://youtu.be/ZUG9qYTJMsI
Last edited by Gdog on Sat May 17, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

This topic was already covered a few years ago.......
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... ls#p125358
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Linedog wrote:
spatman wrote:I use a tweezer. Takes a long time, but nothing leaves my face smoother.
How long can 7 hairs take? :smt064
There's a lot of follicle involved.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

BillZ wrote:This topic was already covered a few years ago.......
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... ls#p125358
That's why we keep good old fashioned flip-open straight razors around. :)
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I love dollar shave club. Great deal.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Gdog wrote:Dollar shave club here. "Are their razors any good?...Nah...they are @#$! Great!!

just joined the "Dollar Shave Club". I'd never heard of such a thing.... We'll see how they work... Thanks! :pirate:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Waynne Fowler wrote:
Gdog wrote:Dollar shave club here. "Are their razors any good?...Nah...they are @#$! Great!!

just joined the "Dollar Shave Club". I'd never heard of such a thing.... We'll see how they work... Thanks! :pirate:
Cool. Which razor did you go with? I alternate between the 4 and 6 blade. It's a great deal. And if you aren't using the blades as fast as they send them, you can join their not so hairy club and get razors sent every other month.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Gdog wrote:
Waynne Fowler wrote:

Cool. Which razor did you go with? I alternate between the 4 and 6 blade. It's a great deal. And if you aren't using the blades as fast as they send them, you can join their not so hairy club and get razors sent every other month.
I'm doing the 2 blade.
My face is to small for the larger blades... I may give them a go to see if they differ from other 3+ blade units. But I'm historically happy with the 2's.
The "not so hairy" club is good to know about. I don't go through a blade a week. Though as cheep as they are I may change more frequently...

It's weird talking about shaving on a scuba forum and not having it involve private parts! :eek:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I think that was a different thread, Wayne....lol
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

Except for a couple of months after SWMBO volunteered me for a makeover show on Channel 4, I haven't been clean shaven since the first Reagan administration. At most, a little trim around the edges for a neat line for job interviews, weddings; that sort of thing. Currently, a razor hasn't touched my face in ~6 years.