Ms James is famous once again

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
blt2go
Avid Diver

Ms James is famous once again

Post by blt2go »

http://www.wired.com/2014/05/the-weird- ... eady-here/

The article starts off with a mention of her "discovery" of starfish wasting disease...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Ms James is famous once again

Post by ljjames »

I keep trying to correct that... But sadly the editors never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

To be honest, its actually really very frustrating from my point of view, because it was not something I ever said. In fact in the PBS and the Seattle Magazine story I talk about how we heard the reports from up in canada and I didn't think much of it, figured it was just a localized die off due to overpopulation. I mention the Seattle Aquarium King 5 story, the friend who texted me pictures of the wash-up, etc... The only thing I did was have a reasonable camera in the right place at the right time, and then go back out and re-survey weekly and track the die off with video.

It does have the bit about working together with the scientists though, which is pretty cool, and something I am proud of AND have to give a HUGE shout out and lions share of credit to my dive buddy Lamont for helping with the #sickstarfish map.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Never let facts get in the way of a good story ... that said, I can't think of a better advocate for the starfish than Laura ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Thank you Bob!

That seriously means a lot to me :)

Speaking of starfish, as the water warms up, the die-off is starting up again with a vengeance over on Bainbridge Island and San Juans and ??? So if folks could keep and eye out and keep up with the great photos and reporting (here, on the MARINe network site, #sickstarfish or even just email or text me) it would be hugely appreciated!
Grateful Diver wrote:Never let facts get in the way of a good story ... that said, I can't think of a better advocate for the starfish than Laura ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
----
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

It's hitting the ochre stars hard at Redondo right now ... especially right under the MAST ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

This doesn't look like any of the photos I've seen online, but I cannot fathom what would cause this type of injury to a madreporite:

Is Seastar wasting disease this far north?
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Not a clue... I have forwarded the image along to the scientists, will let you know their response.
----
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Thank You Ms. James. Is there a there thread on NWDC for this issue?
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

The scientist asked if you have any other images...

There is a wasting disease thread, i'll go bump it :)
----
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Sorry, it's the only photo I have. I'll see if I can spot the critter again this weekend since I'll be down there changing some bow thruster blades.

Also, I found the wasting disease thread:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... se#p251860
-Charles Lindbergh