Titlow piling removal? Giant barnacles removed...

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Winter
Dive-aholic

Titlow piling removal? Giant barnacles removed...

Post by Winter »

Few weeks ago I dove Titlow and I saw the giant barnacles laying all over the place. Then someone mentioned the giant barnacles and mussels were scraped off the pilings recently to test for creosote in the pilings..(?). And that these pilings were gonna be removed soon. Looking through past threads I could not find an update on Titlow. Who here knows what's goin on? I hadn't dove in a while, let alone gone to Titlow, so I am kinda out of the scuba-gossip loop. I'm on a collection permit for the Nisqually reach nature center in Olympia and I was thinking a conglomeration of giant barnacles would be amazing for one of the interpretive tanks. Good idea, yes ..no?
Thanks in advance.
I could also use a few buddies to help if anyone is interested in helping haul a heavy cooler.

Winter
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Titlow piling removal? Giant barnacles removed...

Post by CaptnJack »

When are you going? I could help with collection depending on your timing. - although I should technically be on your permit to do that, so perhaps you do the collecting and I could be your buddy :)

Titlow is a WDFW marine preserve does your collection permit allow removal from there? I think it might also be subject to city ordinance but I don't have time to look that up.

I think they are scheduled to be removed in a few months and replaced with an artificial reef, at least that was the last info I heard. Metro Parks would know.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

I need to look at the permit again but all it remember right now is that it has to be south of the bridge. I'm gathering some info now and still need to have this brought to others attention.
The idea just kinda erupted last night. Thanks for the info you gave that's a perfect start and I will keep y'all informed.
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

CaptnJack wrote: replaced with an artificial reef, at least that was the last info I heard. Metro Parks would know.
Nice I didn't know that -- Hopefully that's still on track -- Given how the state is with disturbing the critters they shouldn't be allowed remove habitat and not replace it! We don't need to lose any more dive sites.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
ratfishlvr
Avid Diver

Post by ratfishlvr »

I could give you a hand too.. Once you get the details worked out let me know.
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

It's dive able on Wednesday dec 17th, but would have to be there maybe 40 minutes before sunrise and in the water at sunrise which is also slack. I still am waiting to hear back from contacts to make sure I've got my ducks in line and that the collection is legit. Anyone even have an idea of how heavy one of those clusters of giant barnacles down below weighs? (The ones already scraped off) I've never tried picking one up, I'm guessing 25 lbs maybe? Obviously I have more research to do.