Update, Hudson Point

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Update, Hudson Point

Post by Dusty2 »

A couple of months ago a guy in a large yacht ran into the jetty At Hudson point and did some pretty bad damage. (to the jetty, we don't care about his junior ocean liner!) The crux of which is they are going to have to place the which amounts to pretty much tearing out the old jetty and building a retaining way per the new DNR regs which don't don't give a cr@$p about the marine life. I got wind of a commissioners meeting last Monday where they were supposed to get info from the engineering firm that they hired as to what the new design will look like so I high tailed up to attend the meeting. As it works out the engineers report was not complete so it was rescheduled for the 22nd. However I did get up before the commissioners and told them how valuable and diverse that Ecosystem is at Hudson and what they will destroy if they rip everything out and put in some concrete and steel wall that will never generate any life to replace the damages they will do. They were quite impressed with my point and want me to come back on the 22nd and give a presentation to the engineers and the DNR reps. They said that I had some very powerful points that they had heard nothing of before now. So guess where we are going to be on the 22nd.?? Emoji

Karen Mills came up from Port orchard and was helpful in presenting or case. She was the one who alerted me to this and I thank her dearly for catching this before it's past history.

It would be really nice to see some more interested parties show up to let them know the ecological damage they will be doing if they just throw some money at this without considering the thousands of critters who live in that jetty. Greg? Janna? some of the clubs that dive there regularly? Hudson needs our help! :smt064
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: Update, Hudson Point

Post by renoun »

Might be a good time to go dig up some before and after shots of the Edmonds oil pier too.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Showing pictures of the life that is currently there would be huge, IMO.

This site still has my personal record for most species identified on a single cold water dive.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Dusty2 wrote:A couple of months ago a guy in a large yacht ran into the jetty At Hudson point and did some pretty bad damage. (to the jetty, we don't care about his junior ocean liner!) The crux of which is they are going to have to place the which amounts to pretty much tearing out the old jetty and building a retaining way per the new DNR regs which don't don't give a cr@$p about the marine life. I got wind of a commissioners meeting last Monday where they were supposed to get info from the engineering firm that they hired as to what the new design will look like so I high tailed up to attend the meeting. As it works out the engineers report was not complete so it was rescheduled for the 22nd. However I did get up before the commissioners and told them how valuable and diverse that Ecosystem is at Hudson and what they will destroy if they rip everything out and put in some concrete and steel wall that will never generate any life to replace the damages they will do. They were quite impressed with my point and want me to come back on the 22nd and give a presentation to the engineers and the DNR reps. They said that I had some very powerful points that they had heard nothing of before now. So guess where we are going to be on the 22nd.?? Emoji

Karen Mills came up from Port orchard and was helpful in presenting or case. She was the one who alerted me to this and I thank her dearly for catching this before it's past history.

It would be really nice to see some more interested parties show up to let them know the ecological damage they will be doing if they just throw some money at this without considering the thousands of critters who live in that jetty. Greg? Janna? some of the clubs that dive there regularly? Hudson needs our help! :smt064
Glad you got your word in Rich and get to have more to say!

That 22nd date might be more doable for more people to join in as a lot of people have off near the end of the year. I might join you. Let us know when and where? Let us know how we can help with your presentation?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Tom Nic wrote:Showing pictures of the life that is currently there would be huge, IMO.
"This site still has my personal record for most species identified on a single cold water dive"

Mine too! many times over. Over 20 species of Nudibranchs in one dive! PS king carbs, heart crabs, golfball crabs, scally lithoid crabs, Cancer oregonis, hairy lithoid crabs and many many others and the fish side contains all the fish you see in puget sound and many others that are seldom seen in Puget sound like yellow eyes, silver spotted sculpins, vermillion rock fish, and even a moa moa! Not to mention a species that was just named for me! and that is literally just scratching the surface!
I would love to make up a comprehensive list of all the species that call that place home. It pretty much covers every critter that is listed for Puget Sound either in the adult phase or juvenile or both.

I have not been actively diving for several months and I have almost no video from there so any help would be much appreciated.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Can you post the date, time and location for us to show up to help?
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I hadn't heard anything about this damage ... is the site currently diveable? I have plans to be up there to meet an out of town guest on the 26th ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The site is fine as long as the whether co-operates! The jetty walkway is blocked off and they say it is unsafe structurally but they haven't done anything that would make it unsafe for diving. What damage there is is on the marina entrance side If I hear anything to the contrary I'll let you know.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Thanks Dusty ... I'll be diving it on the 26th in early afternoon, weather permitting ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I will say that it doesn't look like a great current window though. I am sure it is do-able for someone of your experiance level but you won't have a very long slack. I would recommend 12 o'clock splash for mid dive slack.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Thanks Dusty ... you know that site way better than I do. Perhaps I'll call Don over at Octopus Gardens and get his input. I'll be hosting an out of town guest ... also an experienced diver.

... Bob (Grateful DIver)

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Grateful Diver wrote:Thanks Dusty ... you know that site way better than I do. Perhaps I'll call Don over at Octopus Gardens and get his input. I'll be hosting an out of town guest ... also an experienced diver.

... Bob (Grateful DIver)
You should be OK as long as the south wind isn't blowing and you play it safe. My advice is to keep an eye on the current at the end of the jetty and when you see the current begin to pickup head back toward the entry once you get past the dogleg in the jetty things will drop off a lot. The further you go west the less intense the current will be. From the dolphin west It is very much like Redondo you'll feel right at home . Eel grass in the shallows then a steep drop off at about 15 to 20' down to about 80 to 90 feet with a lot of bottom litter to explore. Lots of little reds and sculpins and such out in that flat with the occasional GPO tucked into the logs down there. Totally different from the jetty but a less current intensive experience. If you can find them there are a couple of large salmon anemones out in those flats between the dolphin and the new pier and they sometimes have candy stripe shrimp on them.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The workshop on the jetty repair is Monday morning at 09:30. I will be there. It would be nice to have some bodies there to show interest on the part of the diving community.

At the Port Office 333 Benedict Street, Port Townsend, WA It is on the east side if the port public launch ramp across from the Harborside Inn and behind the Safeway Gas station.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm sorry; I would have come to attend this if it had been possible (got in from MX last night, and work in Ellensburg tonight). I think what got us the clay walls was the impression made by so MANY divers showing up.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi Rich
How did it go? I was meaning to make it but got sick...
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

No real loss. It is pretty much in the initial stages anyway.

A workshop with the engineers that are doing the proposal for the state and the port. Karen mills and I impressed the port officials on the 11th with our knowledge of what lies beneath the water up there and how important it is to the surrounding area so the 22nd Karen and I returned with Greg Jensen also coming along. Most of the meeting involved the engineer telling the port what they had considered and giving a general idea of the costs of the various types of repairs that could be used. I brought up the possibility of releasing the jetty rocks and allowing them to roll down the hill where they would create an artificial reef instead of paying to remove them and destroying an established habitat in the process. They all seemed to agree that it was a win win situation and ask the engineers to include that in their future proposals. Other than that not much was accomplished because they are still in the "what can we do and what will it cost us faze." At any rate it will probably be spring 2016 before they could even think of starting work. The minimum cost looks to be around 4 mil for the most cost effective plan no general info on what might be likely to fly with the state. There are several agencies that are involved in the permitting processes and they are NOT all on the same page as to what the rules that apply to the port actually are since the agreement with the state is not the same type lease that private Marinas and such have to get and there have been several recent (still in works)rules changes that aren't even clearly understood yet by the issuing authorities.

Translation.... What ever is going to happen ain't happening soon! :rawlings:

This finale bit is for the amusement of those of us with average intelligence.
The Port hired engineer said that even if the final plan involved using rocks for reinforcement that they would have to be new rocks because the ones in the jetty where very old and were nearing the end of there usable life span! :rofl:
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Hi Dusty, Thanks for stepping up and getting involved.

Only had the chance to dive once this year and it was up in PT, Glenn and I did the waterfront, thanks Glenn!

Tim