Harry Potter Movie

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
GillyWeed
Submariner

Harry Potter Movie

Post by GillyWeed »

Ok.. So if any of you didn't know.. I am a complete Harry Potter freak.. And I was at the midnight showing for the new movie on Tuesday night. (I was completely off the planet yesterday, what with the heat and being sooo sleepy) so I thought I would post a quick review today..

I LOVED IT!! The action moved along at a quick pace, the young actors are still growing in their abilities and they showed a better range of emotions than in previous HP movies. The adult actors of course were amazing (I LOVE Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman) and the actress who played the evil Delores Umbridge was wickedly brilliant.. There was humor, romance, drama, and lots of action. My only complaint would have been the CGI for the giant and the centaurs was again disappointing. Some things shouldn't be CGI'd and centaurs are one of them.. Somehow the Thestrals were not as bad.

Anyway, I hope everyone gets a chance to see it.. BTW they have really good air conditioning in most theaters..
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Thanks for the review. My wife and I are going tomorrow!
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Harry Potter? :book: Transformers? :smt032 I don't know that I'll ever fully understand the craze, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the movies. :smt064

My wife re-reads the entire Harry Potter series before each new book comes out. ](*,) You'd think those first couple books would get old after the 5th or 6th time you read it, but she loves it so. #-o She also watches all the movies in the same successive manner before each new movie comes out. :smt119

I'll never fully understand. :dontknow:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I just finished re-reading all the books in anticipation of having the new one delivered to my house on the 21st. Woohoo! Can't wait.
Georgia

thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

yeah; i gotta read the book first before i go see it!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

WylerBear wrote:I just finished re-reading all the books in anticipation of having the new one delivered to my house on the 21st. Woohoo! Can't wait.
You'd get along great with Erica. ](*,)
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I saw an early showing on Tuesday evening. I loved the movie, and Alan Rickman is awesome.

However, it is getting harder and harder for the movies to stay true to the books because the books are getting longer. The movie was fun and definate relief from the heat!
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Sounder Wrote:
WylerBear wrote:
I just finished re-reading all the books in anticipation of having the new one delivered to my house on the 21st. Woohoo! Can't wait.
You'd get along great with Erica. ](*,)
I'd get along with both!! I have finished re-reading the books in antisipation.. I am on tenterhooks! =D>

Sounder Wrote:
You'd think those first couple books would get old after the 5th or 6th time you read it, but she loves it so.
Try the 1st book 17 times, the second book 15, third book 11 times, 4th book 6 times, 5th book 4 times and the 6th book 3 times. My typical dive buddies think I need an intervention.. #-o Just because I said that I couldn't go diving next weekend (the 21st) because that was Harry Potter day and I needed the whole day to read.. Jeesh..
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

GillyWeed wrote:Just because I said that I couldn't go diving next weekend (the 21st) because that was Harry Potter day and I needed the whole day to read.. Jeesh..
Wow. ](*,) #-o :dontknow:

Skipping diving to read Harry Potter? :toimonster: You DO need an intervention.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Harry Potter & Diving

Post by WylerBear »

GillyWeed wrote:Just because I said that I couldn't go diving next weekend (the 21st) because that was Harry Potter day and I needed the whole day to read.. Jeesh...
Well, I'm diving the 2ist at the Dive Around the Clock and have an AI session all day on the 22nd. But by not sleeping much I'm sure I'll be finished with the book by the 23rd. It typically takes me less than 2 days to read her longer books. Who needs sleep when there's Harry Potter to be read! \:D/

See, Sounder, you can read AND still go diving. :bounce:
Georgia

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Harry Potter & Diving

Post by Sounder »

WylerBear wrote:
GillyWeed wrote:Just because I said that I couldn't go diving next weekend (the 21st) because that was Harry Potter day and I needed the whole day to read.. Jeesh...
Well, I'm diving the 2ist at the Dive Around the Clock and have an AI session all day on the 22nd. But by not sleeping much I'm sure I'll be finished with the book by the 23rd. It typically takes me less than 2 days to read her longer books. Who needs sleep when there's Harry Potter to be read! \:D/

See, Sounder, you can read AND still go diving. :bounce:
I fear reading Harry Potter would put me to sleep and I'd miss the dive! #-o Zzzzzzzzzzzz ](*,)
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: Harry Potter & Diving

Post by WylerBear »

Sounder wrote:I fear reading Harry Potter would put me to sleep and I'd miss the dive! #-o Zzzzzzzzzzzz ](*,)
Hey now!
Georgia

cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I second (and third) that! Boring! :vom:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

(donning helmet and flack jacket, ducking for cover)

Watch out there - they'll turn you into a toad!!! :bootyshake:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

i'm waiting for Holly to chime in. #-o
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Saw the new movie this afternoon. Fantastic!!!!!!!
Georgia

Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Thanks for the review, Holly and following reviews (and sundry comments). I've just returned from NC and am looking forward to the movie.

Hogwarts Rules!

Sea ya!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Its always the people who haven't really read Harry Potter who pretend like it isn't very good, or that it would be boring or something. And then when and/or if they ever do read the 1st book, they are 98% of the time hooked. And I am not talking about the movies (although they are great, they are really no comparasion). I even got my 78 year old grandpa hooked on the Harry Potter books. All he did was pick up one of the many copies of book one I have lying around, he was bored one day and was going to see what I was on about.. Then it was "Hey send me book 2 (3, 4, 5, 6).."

And its not that I am giving up diving to read Harry Potter. Its just that for one day out of the year I am going to stop everything and read a book I have been waiting for 10 years to come out. When the book is read (I read until I pass out, then wake up a few hours later and read some more so I anticipate it will be the wee hours of the 22nd when I will be done) then I can get back to diving. I really don't see why this warrants and intervention. I can dive the day before and the day after...

And I agree with Quatch.... Hogwarts does rule!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I do the same thing with Steohen King books, Holly. And the movies are ALWAYS horrible when compared to the book! I guess there's no substitute for our imaginations....
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I just may never understand staying home all day and reading :book: when I could be diving!!! \:D/
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

cardiver wrote:
I do the same thing with Steohen King books, Holly. And the movies are ALWAYS horrible when compared to the book! I guess there's no substitute for our imaginations....
I kind of understand.. Because no one but a complete Harry Potterfile or Stephen King Head (gabba gabba hey) would want to sit through a movie that hit everything on the head.. Let's face it the movies would be like 10 hours long. Now I would go to a 10 hour long Harry Potter film.. But not to many others would.. Plus how expensive would it be to make? Way to much.. Movies are about the almighty dollar.. Books refreshingly aren't. Yes, I know JK Rowling is the richest woman in the world so don't flame me... But I think, books come from a place where they just want to tell the pure story, if they make money great but I think to the authors it is more important to tell the story right.

Sounder wrote:
I just may never understand staying home all day and reading :book: when I could be diving!!! \:D/
Sounder.. It's just ONE day!!! Ok well maybe a day and a half.. But still, I'll be diving the next day for sure.. And you can't tell me you get to dive every day.. Think of it as a really long surface interval where I just so happen to read my favorite book ever...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

If I COULD spend the day diving, I would. I dive a fair amount (as often as possible) now, but there's always room for more. Mmmm... more tanks... \:D/ Mmmmm... CCR... :supz:
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

I love stephen KING-- The problem with his stuff is that now they are taking stories that are like 10 pages long (short stories) and making movies out of them.... BOO!! I haven't even considered watching that new SK based movie Room 419.
But I did see the HP movie, and I really felt like I missed alot of stuff (the books are getting longer but the movies aren't). I decided I would read the books finally. It will be nice I can read them all in a row without having to wait for the next one to 'come out'. I am waiting for books 3&4 (I am a borrower) to keep reading, however.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

But I did see the HP movie, and I really felt like I missed alot of stuff (the books are getting longer but the movies aren't).
I agree with you that they did leave out some stuff. I understand why they have to do it though. But I was talking with some friends who haven't read the books and they were a little lost in parts. It makes sence to me because I read the books and know what should happen and who the characters are.. But they didn't really explain a lot of that for the people who haven't read the books. They just don't have time in a movie format to fit in all of the story, much less the explination.. I did miss Ron playing Quidditch though..

I have an abused paperback copy of Goblet of Fire (bk 4) that I can send you if you like Cera.. As long as you get it back to me sometime.. I only have my pristine copy of book 3 though and I can't lend that out or my heart might stop.. Let me know.. I don't want you to be in the dark..
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

Its ok, I am borrowing my sister-in-laws copies of 3&4 and my brother-in-laws copies of 5&6 and prolly 7 later. Thanks for the offer!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17