Swimming

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

Swimming

Post by verrinne »

I know you can kayak between saltwater and Redondo but can you swim between the two as I need to work on being fit because I have asthma and swimming is the only thing that for some reason doesn't affect it.
From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.-Jacques-Yves Cousteau
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Swimming

Post by Penopolypants »

While the distance isn't outrageous (1.5 miles or so), currents at Saltwater can be quite strong. This time of year there are a significant amount of boaters on the water too.

Just a few of the hazards to think about, YMMV, etc.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

Post by verrinne »

Thank you
From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.-Jacques-Yves Cousteau
apostle228
Just Settling In

Post by apostle228 »

I would find a pool to work up to that first (not sure how often/distances you swim), I can say first hand I have thought I could swim a distance that looked reasonable only to need to flag down a boater and ask them to take me ashore... Quite embarrasing. I've had to do that once and another time I made it to the opposite side of a lake only to realize there was no way I had the energy to swim back haha. Had to hitchhike back around the lake. Also embarrasing. Live and learn I guess!
Iver
Just Settling In

Post by Iver »

I have found that bringing a 2 person raft into the picture a very useful safety tool. I used to swim lakes in Washington and would tie the raft to my belt loop.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Amazing! And I thought I was a bad ass for swimming all over Sund Rock Friday and this dude goes 19 miles in a banana hammock. Way cool!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Whatever banana might have been in there is more like a raisin now :p
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.