Samsung Note 4 destroyed by salt water

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Samsung Note 4 destroyed by salt water

Post by pogiguy05 »

My wifes phone got wet with salt water on our vacation. It was submerged for at least 15-20 minutes and one of the battery contacts inside the phone is missing. Probably fried off. It will not power up or show up on any computer. I am wondering if anyone has the expertise to take this thing apart to recover photo's and contacts from the internal memory of the phone? It has alot of business contacts which are important so price is not an issue for the person who can help recover it and we would be greatly appreciative.

NOTE: in hindsight yes now we know to sync contacts with an email account and we WILL be using a memory card on the next one to save it there and not to the phone itself. live and learn even the hard way. :boxer:
Jeff Castor
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Samsung Note 4 destroyed by salt water

Post by ArcticDiver »

Don't count on any electronics exposed to sea water, or even some, but not all, fresh water to be usable. That includes solid state memory devices.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

SD cards are usually salvageable. Internal memory, I have no idea. Have you tried someplace like Seagate?
http://www.seagate.com/services-softwar ... -recovery/
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I took it to a place in Bellevue and they are going to try to give it a chemical bath and power it on. The positive prong is missing for the phone so they will have to probably take it apart somewhat. I had look into data recovery labs, but have not found one yet. Most seem to have testimonials from people had had issues with larger hard drives. We will see but I am not holding out to much hope for it.
Jeff Castor
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Glad to here you are being proactive about future phones and data. I have mine set up so that my phone can blow up and I will still have all my photos, videos, contacts, and what nots. Saving to the removable card is a solid idea but I also utilize the whole upload pics and vids to Google Drive every time I am on wireless
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**