25 dollars for what????

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
scooby branch
Frequent Bubbler

25 dollars for what????

Post by scooby branch »

Recently there is a word out about a significant fee increase for a night dive at Keystone Jetty. They supposedly upped it to 25 bucks. It still remains unclear as to 25 dollars a person? A party? Or a car? The site is amazing and a great training and photography grounds. Well, there is a warm indoor shower that takes quarters , a few benches and a flush toilet. All in all not worth to pay 25 bucks for. Last time we payed $10 for a party of 2 and thought it was fair. Since neither the volunteer nor the people at the ranger station knew the exact fee nor could they justify charging 25 dollars for a night dive, the jury is out on this one.

Are they trying to discourage night diving altogether? Makes me wonder....

:boxer:
pardon my honesty
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: 25 dollars for what????

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
That does seem high. How does one reserve a night dive there, there are definitely some nice windows coming up there at night.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Where is this notice?
The Discover Pass is only for day use activities ($10 per day or $30 annual pass).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Post by Ryan Nelson »

We tried pulling the usual permit for a drift dive Sunday night and the ranger told us the fee to dive had been raised to 25. It's not posted because night diving, or being in that parking lot, isn't allowed at night unless by permit.

Fuck the park service. I'm having conversations with Jack the manager at Deception Pass state park about night diving North beach. He's not having it. Funny thing is he seem to think that by controlling the padlock to a gate that he will have some sort of power over us. I've got 4 fully committed divers. This isn't the first time they have tried to shut us down, but it will be the last...
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Re: RE: Re: 25 dollars for what????

Post by Ryan Nelson »

CaptnJack wrote:Where is this notice?
The Discover Pass is only for day use activities ($10 per day or $30 annual pass).
You need to get out more often Capitan...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Ryan Nelson wrote:We tried pulling the usual permit for a drift dive Sunday night and the ranger told us the fee to dive had been raised to 25. It's not posted because night diving, or being in that parking lot, isn't allowed at night unless by permit.

Fuck the park service. I'm having conversations with Jack the manager at Deception Pass state park about night diving North beach. He's not having it. Funny thing is he seem to think that by controlling the padlock to a gate that he will have some sort of power over us. I've got 4 fully committed divers. This isn't the first time they have tried to shut us down, but it will be the last...
Yeah funny thing is that ranger, he's a law enforcement officer commissioned by the state of Washington. Good luck with your confrontational approach in court.
Ryan Nelson wrote:
Out every weekend. I don't screw around at places like Keystone, haven't been there in years.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Post by Ryan Nelson »

I'm being very nice to him even layed out a dive plan. I'm taking the proper avenues to acquire a permit and pay the appropriate (but ridiculous) fees. I've done this at a half dozen state parks in Washington alone. He is the one making the problem, not us.

Trolls and gate keepers, nothing more. The parks at both the state and national level are constantly closing and loosing public support. John Muir had a great idea conserving land, but when you give some asshole a gun and badge to tell someone they cant be on a certain beach at a certian time, then what the hell is the point of conserving the land if we can't use it...?
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

CaptnJack wrote:
Ryan Nelson wrote:We tried pulling the usual permit for a drift dive Sunday night and the ranger told us the fee to dive had been raised to 25. It's not posted because night diving, or being in that parking lot, isn't allowed at night unless by permit.

Yeah funny thing is that ranger, he's a law enforcement officer commissioned by the state of Washington. Good luck with your confrontational approach in court.
Ryan Nelson wrote:
Out every weekend. I don't screw around at places like Keystone, haven't been there in years.

What happened to the "LIKE" function we used to have on the board?
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

They made Possession Point fingers a pay dive site as well, and thats for daytime use. You have to get a permit, etc.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

scooby branch wrote:Recently there is a word out about a significant fee increase for a night dive at Keystone Jetty. They supposedly upped it to 25 bucks. It still remains unclear as to 25 dollars a person? A party? Or a car? The site is amazing and a great training and photography grounds. Well, there is a warm indoor shower that takes quarters , a few benches and a flush toilet. All in all not worth to pay 25 bucks for. Last time we payed $10 for a party of 2 and thought it was fair. Since neither the volunteer nor the people at the ranger station knew the exact fee nor could they justify charging 25 dollars for a night dive, the jury is out on this one.

Are they trying to discourage night diving altogether? Makes me wonder....

:boxer:
Last time we did a night dive there the fee was to have the person available to let you in and out. They were very nice about it and we felt welcome. We divided it among ourselves. 4 people, $6 each. If I'm the guy who has to hang around to open and shut the gate $25 isn't enough. Sounds cheap to me. Of course I had to drive 250 miles to get there.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Ryan Nelson wrote:I'm being very nice to him even layed out a dive plan. I'm taking the proper avenues to acquire a permit and pay the appropriate (but ridiculous) fees. I've done this at a half dozen state parks in Washington alone. He is the one making the problem, not us.

Trolls and gate keepers, nothing more. The parks at both the state and national level are constantly closing and loosing public support. John Muir had a great idea conserving land, but when you give some asshole a gun and badge to tell someone they cant be on a certain beach at a certian time, then what the hell is the point of conserving the land if we can't use it...?
Ryan Nelson wrote:Fuck the park service. I'm having conversations with Jack the manager at Deception Pass state park about night diving North beach. He's not having it. Funny thing is he seem to think that by controlling the padlock to a gate that he will have some sort of power over us. I've got 4 fully committed divers. This isn't the first time they have tried to shut us down, but it will be the last...
Emphasis mine.

You might want to keep in mind that these forums are public and can be read by anyone. It won't help your cause in the least if the people you are dealing with are aware of these comments that have your name attached to them.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Since the parking lot is closed at night, I would assume the $25 goes to pay for the person's time to come and lock up after you. Seems totally fair to me. Why should they do it for free when they don't have to do it at all? Just my 2 cents.
Jenn
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Post by Ryan Nelson »

spatman wrote:
Ryan Nelson wrote:I'm being very nice to him even layed out a dive plan. I'm taking the proper avenues to acquire a permit and pay the appropriate (but ridiculous) fees. I've done this at a half dozen state parks in Washington alone. He is the one making the problem, not us.

Ryan Nelson wrote:Fuck the park service. I'm having conversations with Jack the manager at Deception Pass state park about night diving North beach. He's not having it. Funny thing is he seem to think that by controlling the padlock to a gate that he will have some sort of power over us. I've got 4 fully committed divers. This isn't the first time they have tried to shut us down, but it will be the last...
Emphasis mine.

You might want to keep in mind that these forums are public and can be read by anyone. It won't help your cause in the least if the people you are dealing with are aware of these comments that have your name attached to them.
If this person uses the way I treat him online as reason to not let us dive, then he's proven my point.
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Post by Ryan Nelson »

enchantmentdivi wrote:Since the parking lot is closed at night, I would assume the $25 goes to pay for the person's time to come and lock up after you. Seems totally fair to me. Why should they do it for free when they don't have to do it at all? Just my 2 cents.
There is no gate to open or close. They tell us that its partly for keeping the restrooms open. Though the half dozen times we have been there we stayed in the parking lot overnight in our sprinter and no one came to close the restrooms, they are open all the time.
AdrianSmith
Avid Diver

Post by AdrianSmith »

BillZ wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Ryan Nelson wrote:

What happened to the "LIKE" function we used to have on the board?
Agreed.

-Adrian
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Ryan Nelson wrote: There is no gate to open or close. They tell us that its partly for keeping the restrooms open. Though the half dozen times we have been there we stayed in the parking lot overnight in our sprinter and no one came to close the restrooms, they are open all the time.
Hmmmm, wonder what that was that was locked across the entrance the last time we arrived early one morning prior to it being unlocked if it wasn't a gate.
Jenn
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

You've acknowledged that you're going to enter the park and dive in direct defiance of the law enforcement of the park, but if they use the fact that you've said this online to keep you from doing what you want, they're proving your point? Yes, that's how it works - you need permission to do something, they say no, you do it anyway....yeah, you have do deal with the repercussions. :nutty:

But please, go on, adults throwing temper tantrums are so entertaining! I can practically hear you stomping your feet, crossing your arms, and squishing up your face through my computer. :steamingears:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

While the park ranger won't give permission, is there any real legal authority to not using the park after dark to dive?

No offense to all law enforcement folks, but some do tend to make their own rules.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Let's find if the fee can be shared. If so people can post in the dive planning section the time and I'm sure there'd be plenty interested in amortizing the cost!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Post by Ryan Nelson »

Jeff Pack wrote:While the park ranger won't give permission, is there any real legal authority to not using the park after dark to dive?

No offense to all law enforcement folks, but some do tend to make their own rules.
My point exactly, I don't need to park my van in their parking lot it would just make it easier. And the pass certainty cannot be closed for any reason...