where to for orca encounters?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
scooby branch
Frequent Bubbler

where to for orca encounters?

Post by scooby branch »

It's our dream to see orcas close up and personal. We got to see grey whales from a distance in Neah Bay, which was brief but pretty amazing. Any ideas? We have an inflatable kayak.
pardon my honesty
scooby branch
Frequent Bubbler

Re: where to go for orca encounters?

Post by scooby branch »

:boucegreen: :boucegreen:
pardon my honesty
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: where to for orca encounters?

Post by CaptnJack »

Norway.

You'll be in violation of Canadian and US law by intentionally kayaking anywhere within 200yards of Orcas or any other marine mammals.
www.bewhalewise.org

And yes you will get reported to NOAA, happens all the time and they do investigate.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

You can see them from a distance in the San Juans. The west side of SJI is usually the best.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

We have seen orca "up close and personal" at Turn Point on Stuart Island. Since we were standing on land, it was quite legal. Limestone Light on San Juan Island is also a good spot and more accessible. I saw them from both locations last summer.
Orca10.JPG
Orca7.JPG
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Cool pics!

You can often see them from San Juan County Park too!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Excellent pictures!!! Id love to see them up close like that!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
scooby branch
Frequent Bubbler

Post by scooby branch »

Awesome pics! We are heading to look for them off land in the next few days! :supz:
pardon my honesty
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Post by Ryan Nelson »

Is it possible to kayak to Stuart Island from San Juan?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Ryan Nelson wrote:Is it possible to kayak to Stuart Island from San Juan?
Why wouldn't it be? Although this is probably a question for a kayak forum
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Ryan Nelson
Avid Diver

Post by Ryan Nelson »

Looks do-able from google earth. I was hoping to get Oldsalts opinion.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Ryan Nelson wrote:Looks do-able from google earth. I was hoping to get Oldsalts opinion.
Not sure where you are starting from but have you checked the exchange? Are you going with the flow towards Stuart and with it again on the return? You don't want to be swept into Haro Strait, land of big ships with no brakes.

Fog and wind are additional concerns. There's also a ton of summertime traffic around Roche Harbor.

While I think this is do-able for experienced sea kayaks, I don't think it's prudent for loaded sit-on-top dive kayaks. Not if you are expecting to go back and forth plus dive at slack all on the same day. But I'm a pretty conservative boater.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Those photos are fantastic oldsalt!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Tangfish wrote:Those photos are fantastic oldsalt!
Agreed, nice work Curt.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Kayakers go from San Juan to Stuart all the time. Captain Jack is right. You need to know what you are doing or have a knowledgeable guide. Last summer, REI was leading kayaking tours from Roche Harbor to the state park on a daily basis. The currents in Speiden Channel are vicious, much stronger than the tables indicate. Even with my sailboat, I plan my departure around the currents. From Roche Harbor (Or San Juan County Park), you could paddle to the head of Reid Harbor where there is a marine trails campsite which is available to paddlers only. From there it is a pleasant hike to Turn Point, about 5 miles round trip. My wife and I make this hike every year from Prevost Harbor, a bit longer that way. We take our packs with lunch, books, binoculars, and camera. The idea is to spend some time at Turn Point Light Station. We have had good luck at seeing whales, about half the time, but always enjoy our time there.

Thanks for the complements on the pics. I took them with a little P&S that I carry in my pocket - no telephoto.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
scooby branch
Frequent Bubbler

Post by scooby branch »

Thanx, Oldsalt! So you would recommend paddling from San Juan County park to the head of Reid Harbor? How many miles is it approximately? Heading out there in the next few days.
pardon my honesty
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Actually, Roche Harbor is about half the distance, a little over 5 miles from the launch to the head of Reid Harbor. San Juan County park is about twice as far but the launch fee is cheaper. Double check the currents and talk to a knowledgeable local before you take off. If conditions are risky you can always go to the County Park and paddle around in the shallows and wait for whales there. While I have made these transits in the San Juan Islands in the past, I am in my 70's and have been more modest in my ventures. Whale-watching boats will probably be your first sign that whales are coming. Be careful, have a good time, and let me know how it went.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.