Cell Phone Service at Dive Spots

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Cell Phone Service at Dive Spots

Post by ScubaJess »

Hello Everyone!

I noticed that my phone never/rarely works at any dive location :computersmash: , which I find kind of unsafe in case of emergency. :eek: I have T-Mobile. Anyone else have these kind of issues? :rawlings: I'm thinking about changing over to another carrier.

Alki Coves & Junk Yard - very limited service
3 Tree - No Service
Hoodsport - No Service
Redondo - very limited service to no service
Salt Water State Park - very limited service
Edmonds Underwater Park - very limited service

Also I use a IPhone 5 so maybe it's just my phone?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :partydance:
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Re: Cell Phone Service at Dive Spots

Post by johndo88 »

I think it's your provider. Verizon has very good coverage at all of these places.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

johndo88 wrote:I think it's your provider. Verizon has very good coverage at all of these places.
+1
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Jess, I also have t mobile. And while their customer service is awesome, their coverage is not. I stay with them because they are so good to deal with, but I also have little signal at most dive sites. Verizon on the other hand, while being buttheads to deal with, have the very best coverage albiet for the most money.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I also have t-mobile and have the same issues. I just talked to them recently and they told me two things about this problem. 1) The coverage in the spots I told them about is limited but they are constantly working on improving their coverage. There is a mobile app that allows you to send them feedback about places where coverage is bad. 2) My phone is a couple of years old. She said that if and when I upgrade I should get better coverage.
Also, the good thing about cell phones is that even if you don't have coverage you can still make emergency calls. So if you have an issue at a dive site you will be able to call 911. I've been with t-mobile for 18 years so don't plan on switching any time soon. They've always been awesome.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I use T-Mobile and have great service at Redondo & 3Tree.

Alas, I haven't been diving enough lately to give you a report of the other sites!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

We live in an area with poor coverage and most people end up with At&T. When we go to dive spots we almost always have coverage. All across the US we almost always have coverage. In Mexico we have coverage. Not talking about cost. Not talking about service. Just the ability to make and receive a call.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

If you can't connect with a cell tower you can't call Dominos pizza, your mom or 911. As someone who has worked in the communications field for close to 40 years I know a bit how cell service works. If a cell phone is inactive, as in no contract with a carrier, as long as you can connect with a site you can call 911. A lot of old cell phones get donated to victims of domestic violence because they can reach 911 without having a contract.
Last edited by Linedog on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I have T-Mobile for my personal phone and AT&T for my work phone. I have no issues with my T-Mobile or AT&T service at the Coves, Saltwater or Edmonds. All along the west side of Hood Canal I get spotty service on T-Mobile and a couple of bars of service on AT&T. In general I find that I get slightly better coverage with my AT&T phone but get less drops with my T-Mobile phone.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I have Sprint, and get coverage of some sort all around the Sound. It's not always a fast connection, but enough to make a call if necessary. I lose connection in the middle of the sound, away from shore, and up in the San Juans.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Verizon has far superior coverage. I have been able to send and receive calls at ALL of the sites you mentioned, plus Verizon even works out at Lake Crescent, (which was the original reason I switched to them years ago).
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I have Verizon in all those places
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Thanks for the feedback everyone! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

No issues with AT&T service at any dive site.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

I have zero service at mukilteo. My cars fm radio doesn't even work
-Erika
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

I have T-Mobile for almost three years now, switching from Verizon, and I have no issues at all with coverage in all the dive sites mentioned.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?