Solar eclipse

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Solar eclipse

Post by Gdog »

So me and Mrs Gdog enjoyed the solar eclipse from West Beach Resort camp ground on Orcas Island in the San Juan's. I managed to grab some shots of the eclipse by holding one lens of a pair of eclipse glasses over the end of my 150mm lens. The results were not too bad...
Partial Solar Eclipse at Orcas Island.jpg
I have several more, and maybe can post them later to show the sequence. What I was hoping was that if anyone else managed to capture some shots, it would be fun to post them here to share with everyone. So... Anybody get any shots?!
GearHead
Submariner

Re: Solar eclipse

Post by GearHead »

I didn't have enough of my old Solar Screen from '79 to properly cover one of my big camera lenses, but I found some wonderful things happening with some shadows cast by the trees on my street.
Attachments
IMG_0728.JPG.jpeg
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Super cool Gdog & Gearhead. I got to watch from the parking garage at work but didn't take any snaps, was too scared to injure my already bad eyes. I'd love to see everyone else's shots, good idea GDog :)

How's camping? Are you gonna fish for the Atlantic Salmon that escaped in the San Juans?
Last edited by ScubaJess on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Mr. Pants and I trekked to the wilds of Idaho and were fortunate enough to see totality. I have to say, it was probably the coolest thing I've ever seen, and I've seen some shit. :) If you have a chance to see the next one in seven years, go! It's a glorious thing to experience.

Our photos weren't good, unfortunately, but one of my sisters was also in a different part of Idaho, visiting friends on the way to Seattle. She too saw the totality, and took this photo:
eclipse_totality.jpg
eclipse_totality.jpg (8.36 KiB) Viewed 5088 times
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Awesome shot Pen!
StrangeDoc
Avid Diver

Post by StrangeDoc »

Nice, we just watched it, I didn't get any pictures of it unfortunately
tykeal
Avid Diver

Post by tykeal »

I went down to Oregon to visit some friends and to see the totality. Absolutely the most awe inspiring thing I have ever had a chance to see. Unfortunately, the few photos I tried to take all turned out bad :( All the kids there seem to have been converted into eclipse chasers as they all want to go see the next totality :D
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

we road-tripped down to Salem for the occasion. I got a pretty decent set of pictures I'm quite happy with! Public viewable FB album at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 55db6502e4

and yes, the drive home was a pain. :/

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Woahhhh awesome photos Gdog and Penopolypants!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

What a great photo of the diamond ring, Jim!!
StrangeDoc
Avid Diver

Post by StrangeDoc »

Those are some fantastic pictures
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Since I'm a diver, I really wanted to experience at least part of the eclipse underwater. As it turns out, Clear Lake was in the path of totality. My underwater time lapse didn't turn out so well, but I did get a halfway decent underwater shot of the post-totality phase. It was an amazing experience, and I'm glad I went through the effort. Here's my facebook album, which includes underwater shots taken the day before. Clear Lake is pretty incredible, with or without the eclipse...
https://www.facebook.com/dr.furnari/med ... nref=story
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

GearHead wrote:I didn't have enough of my old Solar Screen from '79 to properly cover one of my big camera lenses, but I found some wonderful things happening with some shadows cast by the trees on my street.
I've seen a few shots like this, with the shadows doing crazy things. Very cool!
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I drove down to the temporary center of the known universe, Madras, Oregon, and pitched my tent in an entrepreneurial farmer's barnyard. My previous experience, the 1979 eclipse, was completely different. Back then it involved no hype and no cost except for breakfast in a restaurant after the event. Yet, this time it was still totally worth it. As in my diving trips and sailing adventures, I met some fascinating people.
Here is one of my shots of the corona.
DSC_0812.JPG
This is one with the diamond ring effect. If you look carefully, you can see some solar prominences.
DSC_0821.JPG
I shouldn't have mentioned corona, it's after 5 o'clock, I've got to go.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Another great diamond ring shot, Curt!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator