A whale of a day

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

A whale of a day

Post by oldsalt »

I sailed out with Westport Seabirds again last weekend. While we saw about 40 species of seabirds, including some real rarities, but we also identified six species of cetaceans. For this old whale enthusiast, that was a banner day. The first whale encounter came inside the jetty, before we crossed the bar. First light was just emerging when a humpback blew next to the boat. Captain Phil Anderson, anxious to get to sea, continued on. A line from Masefield's poem came to mind, "A gray mist on the sea's face, while a gray dawn is breaking." The ubiquitous harbor porpoise then showed up.
DSC_0216.JPG
In the distance we saw the northern right whale dolphin, a slender finless animal leaping nearly vertically. Too far to get a photo. Then came Dall's porpoise breaching. My pictures only showed splashes. I have had many great experiences with these animals. I finally got some recognizable photos of the Pacific white sided dolphin.
Whiteside12.JPG
We had a second breach, this time a couple of humpbacks. I failed to get a shot of the breach, but I did get a pic when one swam alongside.
DSC_1010.JPG
Risso's dolphins, animals I had to have identified for me, swam by. My picture only shows their dorsal fin. Tall aren't they?
Rissos2.JPG
Several pinnepeds made their appearance, including a curious pair of Northern fur seals. This is only my second sighting of them.
Furseal1.JPG
I can no longer dive, but I can still enjoy the sea.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: A whale of a day

Post by Gdog »

Very cool! I love that you enjoy this. I appreciate your sharing with us. I find dolphins and whales fascinating.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Wow that's so cool! It's always the best day when Whales are around! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

What a grand experience! They are such fascinating creatures!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!