Dive site Cameras?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
TCWestby
Submariner

Dive site Cameras?

Post by TCWestby »

I've been wondering, would there be any interest in cameras at various dive sites so we could check real-time conditions before driving out only to find it is too rough or crowded?

The technology is there and pretty in-expensive.

The thought would be to go to a website with links to the cameras for various sites. there would be sponsors for the cameras, possibly dive shops and gear manufacturers and such.

The cameras could stream live video or even post stills at say 1 minute intervals.

This could also have links for tides & currents, site reviews, calendars of trips etc.

What do you folks think?
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, in two years of diving here, I've been unable to dive due to water conditions a grand total of three times. We just don't have rough water here, like they do on true ocean shore sites.

Now, crowded -- that's different. If I knew everybody and his brother was ALREADY at Three Tree, I might go elsewhere. But, of course, they're all going to get there during the hour and a half it takes me to drive there, anyway :-)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Not only that LCF, they'll pull over on the side of the road, just before Cove 1, then when they see you coming, they'll pull into all the parking spots at the crab shack! #-o

TCW, I do have a buddy whose house looks directly out at the Pipeline, so you can add him to the list of potential camera sites.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:32 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not only that LCF, they'll pull over on the side of the road, just before Cove 1, then when they see you coming, they'll pull into all the parking spots at the crab shack!
Is THAT what happened last Tuesday? NOW I understand . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah- Cove 2 is damn near un divable from mid-June through December just because there's no parking, unless you get there real early or real late. I like driving down there in November at night when there's a storm on- LOTS of free parking- the only people there are us divers!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

LCF wrote:Well, in two years of diving here, I've been unable to dive due to water conditions a grand total of three times. We just don't have rough water here, like they do on true ocean shore sites.

Now, crowded -- that's different. If I knew everybody and his brother was ALREADY at Three Tree, I might go elsewhere. But, of course, they're all going to get there during the hour and a half it takes me to drive there, anyway :-)
Yeah, what he said, only I've been diving around here for 13 years with about the same amount of aborts due to rough conditions. Once at 3-Tree that I remember because there were too many boats. But that was only at the chosen dive site. Usually just headed to a different spot that we knew was more sheltered. I think I only vaguely remember one time we didn't get in the water. We aborted to the nearest pub.