Three Tree NO NO's

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Three Tree NO NO's

Post by pogiguy05 »

Yesterday we setup my canopy as we have done many times before. After our first dive I noticed a 8 x 11 paper laying on the ground. Picked it up and read it, seems my canopy was posted to be removed immediately as it was obstructing the emergency right of way. We had it where we usually set it up next to the chained up entry, but not blocking the walk thru on left and right. So this was obviously for vehicle traffic blockage. There was a service vehicle there which left and then showed back up later after dive 2 as we were done diving. We were not approached by anyone and he just sat in his vehicle.

Now one thing I noted was that my truck when parked as close to the hedges as possible next to the wood gate to the house, my truck blocks pretty much the same access to any type of larger vehicle other then a motor cycle maybe.

Both Tom and I think next time we will place it between the fire hydrant and mail boxes on the other side of parking area. Not sure if they would have an issue with that there. TBD
Jeff Castor
bradmond
Submariner

Re: Three Tree NO NO's

Post by bradmond »

Hate stuff like this...if there was some sort of emergency, they could move a pop-up canopy.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Setting up tents and canopies in a tiny residential street that has not been particularly friendly to divers for years sounds like a way to piss off the already less than welcoming neighbors. Can't say I blame them for calling public works or the police. There are ugly homeless tents and canopies all over Seattle nowadays. Yes I know it was pouring rain yesterday, but think about it from their perspective.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

CaptnJack wrote:Setting up tents and canopies in a tiny residential street that has not been particularly friendly to divers for years sounds like a way to piss off the already less than welcoming neighbors. Can't say I blame them for calling public works or the police. There are ugly homeless tents and canopies all over Seattle nowadays. Yes I know it was pouring rain yesterday, but think about it from their perspective.
I doubt anyone "called the police", or that we bothered anyone or appeared homeless (although my dry glove liners have seen better days).

A city employee pulled up on his lunch break and was courteous enough to leave us a warning that we appreciated. No harm, no foul. No license numbers were written on the warning, or threats. It was a courtesy and we are grateful for it.

I can see residents being unhappy with loud music, blocked driveways, Summer inebriation on the beach, etc - none of which we did, do, or see done by other divers, particularly now that the parking at Three Tree is down to about 5 spaces.

We have and will continue to be as respectful, law abiding, and accommodating as we can be - recognizing of course that this is public access and rightfully heavily used by hikers, dog walkers, beach combers, and on occasion, divers.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Seems like someone either complained or public works just happened to be there - so it sure seems to have bothered someone. Playing nice and not taking up more room than you genuinely require really does help avoid conflicts. Canopies sure seem like "nice to haves" vs "requirements" since plenty of people gear up without them. Leaving them at home for sites closely bordered by residences, like Three Tree North, Day Island, the SL Dowell, and Fox Island, is the polite thing to do.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

The area near the hedge is off limits because the people living there persistently called in with their grievance. There definitely is at least one person, maybe more, that is willing to do whatever necessary to minimize public access and impact.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.