Mamma whale, baby whale

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Mamma whale, baby whale

Post by oldsalt »

I think it curious that the 49th and 50th states, Alaska and Hawaii, serve as the endpoints of the humpback whale migration. They make the open ocean transit from their feeding waters in Alaska to their breeding waters in Hawaii. This differs from the gray whales which are feeding now in Puget Sound which hug the coast in their migration. I am in Hawaii now and have seen a lot of mother whales with newborn calves. In this first photo you can see the characteristic humpback with the baby humpback alongside.
DSC_0324.JPG
In this second shot you see the mother sounding while the calf remains on the surface. Newborns are not able to stay under water for very long.
DSC_0379.JPG
Aloha, Curt
Happy to be alive.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Mamma whale, baby whale

Post by Grateful Diver »

I had hoped to see whales on my upcoming Baja trip ... but I would need to be there now, instead of in two months from now, which is when I'm going. By the time I get there the whales will be up here ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Awesome sightings Curt!

It's amazing how they travel all that distance, and no one is sure how that journey is navigated...

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

So cool!!! It's always a great day when whales are about! :-)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: