Scattering remains?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Scattering remains?

Post by Penopolypants »

My dad passed away at the end of last week and was cremated. As he was an avid scuba diver and the inspiration for myself and my sister to get certified, we would like to scatter his ashes in the ocean that he loved so much.

We're from Georgia, so most of his diving was done in Florida, with a stint as a construction diver in Boston. He really did not like cold water! So, we are thinking we will do it in Florida, perhaps the Keys? The intarwebs tells me this is allowed, with the caveat that you must be 3 nautical miles offshore.

He was an amazing storyteller, so means and methods that we could turn into a glorious tale - complete with generous embellishment (sharks! a hurricane! a boat captain with an eye patch covering a diamond eye!) and a few dirty jokes a la Dad - would be appreciated.

If any of you have any experience with this, I would love to hear about it. Did you scatter the ashes from a boat? Dive and scatter? Dive and place a biodegradable urn? I don't mean to be morbid, or dredge up sad memories, but I am a bit lost, and would appreciate any info from my beloved dive community.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Scattering remains?

Post by Tom Nic »

Just one story...

My brother was an avid fisherman. He loved Alaska.

His two sons and I were in Alaska and we were out trolling for salmon in our small boat. A few words of memory, then each of us took a handful of his ashes and scattered them behind the boat as we were trolling.

The only thing that could have made it any better would have been getting a fish as we did so...

Condolences and love as you remember and honor your Dad.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Wow. You have my sympathy. I still miss my dad decades after he passed. I have scattered remains several times, mostly off Navy ships but most recently off a Washington State ferry. I don't think the three mile rule applies to cremains. We were required to use a special biodegradable container when we used the ferry. I have friends locally who provide that service off charter boats. I am sure that if you google for such services in Florida, you will find you have several options. God bless you.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Thank you both so much. Loss is a part of being human, but it's still very hard. I'm sorry that you've had to go through this too, but I'm grateful for your knowledge.
Sharkb8
Dive-aholic

Post by Sharkb8 »

Sorry to hear about your dad. My mother-in-law passed away a few years ago (also around the holidays) so I know how tough it is. We have been scattering her ashes all over the last few years. Several times we've just waded into the water off a nice beach (Belize, Catalina Island, Cannon Beach and South Beach in Miami) and let the waves do the rest. In Tucson she is hanging out under an amazing Saguaro cactus in the foothills. In Florida, as long as you were to do it discretely I don't think anyone will mind if you were on a dive boat, even if you are within the 3 mile requirement. Just watch out for the wind! We usually take small amounts of her in a simple ziplock bag and just dump it out. The bag method might work if you wanted to go under water (since you would just be rinsing it out), or even better you could use one of the small watertight storage containers for keys so that you don't have a premature intrusion of water. I remember seeing a lot of big animals (and sharks) on most of my dives in Key Largo a few years ago, so I bet you would easily be able to have a pretty special underwater moment with him. Good luck and best wishes :)
Party underwater
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I'm so sorry for your loss, but how amazing is it that you're taking her on all these adventures! I love the image of her under the Saguaro in the sun, and floating in the waves on all the beaches. What a glorious way to honor her!

He was passionate about the Keys, and I've never dove there, so we were thinking we'd go there. But he also never made it to many of the places that I've been, or plan to be, and was always delighted to hear our stories about them. The adventurous approach sounds pretty neat.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

My gosh P, I just now came across this thread. I’m so sorry to hear that and you have my condolences.

About returning your father’s remains to the sea, here’s something you might consider as well:

https://www.eternalreefs.com/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Thanks, Calvin, that means a lot. :)
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

So sorry for your loss Penn, sending hugs. Hope to dive with you soon :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

P, sorry for your loss as well. I know that's late, just didn't know what to say. Got a hug for you.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Thanks guys and gal. I like hugs!