Where to go on my next dive trip???

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
60south
Pelagic

Where to go on my next dive trip???

Post by 60south »

NWDC hive mind! I need your ideas.

I'm starting to think about my next big international dive trip.

Here's the thing... I recently got back from Thailand, which was nice enough, but all the diving was follow-the-divemaster style, and crowded. I cannot take any more of that!

I'd like to find someplace where the few, the happy, the independent divers go. Someplace that will drop-off me and a buddy and let us spend as much time as we want, by ourselves, exploring a reef/wreck/etc. Land-based resorts and liveaboards both qualify!

For a bit of background, I've been all over. Some places that were agreeable were Bonaire (3x), Roatan (2x), Cayman Aggressor, and Fiji (6 weeks). I'm shying away from the Caribbean these days because, well, it's mostly dead.

Ideas? Where have you been that offered lots of independent, uncrowded diving?
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Where to go on my next dive trip???

Post by YellowEye »

I recommend Canada. No cattle boats there and fantastic diving. :)
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

:luv: I 2nd YE! Campbell River is fantastic right now :luv:
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Our trip to Anilao Philippines was not crowded at all and the diving was great. there was a divemaster but he pretty much let us just dive our dive however we wanted to. Might be a place worth looking into.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Red Sea Explorers is the ultimate in dive your own profile luxury. If you're up for an adventure, during the Winter-Spring they take one of their boats to Sudan and dive some amazing sites that are rarely seen.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

This past March we did a week in Lembeh at Lembeh Resort followed by a week in Bunaken at the Siladen Resort & Spa. Both were excellent resorts. Our dives were guided, but each dive was at least an hour. The resorts and dive operations were very accommodating, so I am sure you could work out a more personalized dive itinerary. However, we had a guide who found a frogfish that was about 3/8" long on a day dive who found the same critter on a night dive (it was the same day, same site). 1 guide to 4 divers. Diving was never crowded.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

BillZ wrote:Red Sea Explorers is the ultimate in dive your own profile luxury. If you're up for an adventure, during the Winter-Spring they take one of their boats to Sudan and dive some amazing sites that are rarely seen.
Red Sea liveaboard trips are surprisingly affordable...
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

60south wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:18 am
BillZ wrote:Red Sea Explorers is the ultimate in dive your own profile luxury. If you're up for an adventure, during the Winter-Spring they take one of their boats to Sudan and dive some amazing sites that are rarely seen.
Red Sea liveaboard trips are surprisingly affordable...
Yep - I believe the Egyptian government subsidizes fuel and with the strong dollar Egypt is a bargain. I think my last 10 day trip was around 1500 euro. Faisal, the owner of Red Sea Explorers, is a friend of mine and runs a great operation. I personally wouldn't risk diving with anyone else.
www.redseaexplorers.com
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Tahiti, Moorea. Awesome diving off the reefs.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.