Need New Gear

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ValleyVagabond
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Need New Gear

Post by ValleyVagabond »

trying to buy new free diving gear, No one local seems to carry free diving spearfishing gear. Looking for suggestions
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Need New Gear

Post by YellowEye »

Hi.

I'm not too sure of this but try calling Tacoma underwater sports, I think they go spearfishing, or at least lobstering in cali.

There's also a facebook group called mouthbreathers you may want to check out.

I'm no expert, but it seems a lot of the local sites are over fished so people tend to travel for spearfishing. Or just take up free diving photography or video (often to great result)

Do you have freediving buddies? I've seen some non spearing ones around, and hear they're more frequent up in bc.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Post by SCUBARM79 »

I've seen some gear hanging on the wall at Lighthouse dive-(Lynnwood/Seattle). I recall Underwater Sports having small selection as well. I can ping my cuz to see where he gets his stuff. Not to many options for spear fishing around here, unless you go to the coast or up to BC.

Otherwise, the interweb is your option.

What are you looking for specifically? wetsuit? spear gun stuff?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Free ? ... I think your best bet is to look for garage sales
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
ValleyVagabond
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by ValleyVagabond »

I was mostly looking for a place with a camo wetsuit, XL open cell 5mm, that I could try on before I buy. Around the sound I just want to free dive for crabs and other shellfish and also go spearing a couple times a month out on the ocean shore. Just getting back into it since I moved to Seattle 2 years ago and need cold water gear. Most my experience is from the Big Island in Hawaii. I have a friend from Alaska who moved down here and also wants to get into it but he already has his cold water gear. Don't really know any good diving spots around here, thus why i joined this community.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

ValleyVagabond wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:17 pm I was mostly looking for a place with a camo wetsuit, XL open cell 5mm, that I could try on before I buy. Around the sound I just want to free dive for crabs and other shellfish and also go spearing a couple times a month out on the ocean shore. Just getting back into it since I moved to Seattle 2 years ago and need cold water gear. Most my experience is from the Big Island in Hawaii. I have a friend from Alaska who moved down here and also wants to get into it but he already has his cold water gear. Don't really know any good diving spots around here, thus why i joined this community.
I don't think there's a big free-diving/spearfishing/crabbing community in Washington. In the sound the Spearfishing season is super short - I think it's down to two weeks a year for ling cod and they are getting super hard to find even on SCUBA. They're just fished out - If you want to check them out on breath hold Edmonds Underwater Park is a good spot - it's a marine sanctuary so no fishing.

In Neah Bay the season is longer and there are more fish but you'll need a boat to get to the sites. Same with the Washington coast.

I've never seen free divers but there's a bunch of folks that crab on Scuba. Mukilteo is the shore diving place to go.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Spearfishing is open all year for flounder !! Perch too , kelp greenling .. Dems good eatin
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Post by SCUBARM79 »

Honestly, I don't think I have ever seen a camo wetsuit on the rack anywhere in Puget Sound area. That's not to say they don't exist, but you may have to do some work with your phone to find one. Try the coastal shops (Westport, Ocean Shores, Sequim, Port Angeles, Anacortes, Sekiu, Bellingham, etc.).

Other idea- find a style suit you know you fit (and brand) at a local shop and shop online. Hazard with that is most 2 piece camo variety I've seen are lobster tail (thru crotch) so, there is that fit difference (vs 1 piece or step thru)... I've been doing some online surfing for a camo one myself and saw a 1 piece the other day (no hood). Of course now I don't recall where! But it was a 5mm. Saw another that was reversible from blue to green too. I'll PM you if I stumble back into it.

I too have a hard time buying online without trying stuff on. I hate shipping things back for a different size, often with additional shipping costs incurred... :angry:

As another idea, one that I have thought about and I know isn't optimal,- If you truely want camo- Get oversized camo lycra rash guards and wear them over a suit you find here. It's a work around but could solve your problem. May not look as cool, but you're camo!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Somebody in this video had a camo suit, see the end of the video. Maybe strangedoc knows who it is

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26933&p=287280
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!