IST Ear cover mask- Water in ear help.

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

IST Ear cover mask- Water in ear help.

Post by SCUBARM79 »

Hello all-

I am wedded to a non-diver who is averse to having water in her ears. She has indicated interest in diving IF there were a way to minimize/ eliminate water in the ear. She enjoys snorkeling but mostly stays at the surface because of the 'water in ear' feeling. I'm a fish.

She's tried various kinds of ear plugs with no success. At depth this seems like a bad plan- create a pinch? I've seen the IST Mask that covers the ear- anyone with experience using it?? I've not paid much attention to water in my ear, and recalled it not being an issue with a hood on.

Anyone got solutions? Suggestions? I presume a dryhood would be a solid choice, but this doesn't eliminate the 'water in ear' during pool training, ya?

Thank you for the assist
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: IST Ear cover mask- Water in ear help.

Post by ScubaJess »

Hello Scubarm79,

Not sure about that IST Mask? But I do use a ear oil called Ear Shield, you just put in a few drops before you get in the water and it helps to repel the water out of your ear. I haven't had many ear problems since I started using it, before that I used to get ear infections if I dived 3 days in a row.

I love this stuff. But not sure if it works as good for others. It's $22 on amazon but a pretty small bottle. :luv:

EarShield
Use before water based activities
• Conditions and cleans ear canal
• Helps prevent water intrusion
• Avoid earaches and bacteria

=======================================
Product description

EarShield is a personal skin care cosmetic spray for conditioning and cleansing of the ears PRIOR to water based activities. Delivering a fine metered spray of a unique blend of water repellent Olive, Mineral & Tea Tree Oil into the outer ear, finely coating the auditory canal, giving a conditioning water repellent and cleansing action. Each spray contains approximately 0.05ml of oil solution and should be sprayed into the ears prior to entering the water.

The product is packaged into a unique injection molded carrying case with a re-sealable lid. This allows the product to be carried in dive bags, swim bags, pool or beach bags without a chance of the product being accidentally dispensed. The case is also water resistant and designed to float if dropped into the water.

======================================
Attachments
ear.jpg
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Either Docs Proplugs (proper fitting is important), or JBL Hydroseal earplugs.
This thread in Scubaboard is a short synopsis. https://www.scubaboard.com/community/th ... st-8717460
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Post by SCUBARM79 »

Thanks ScubaJess and fmerkel! I think a combination method may be the trick. Gunna have to drop some $$ and give things a try I guess. I'll update once she's trialed.

ScubaJess- bummer on the ear infections. Glad you found a solution that helps you keep in the water ad libitum.
(FYI- I'm a scientist. Sorry for the pun. :partydance: )
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I use a combination of the Docs PP, and ear beer = 50:50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and white vinegar. The alcohol cuts the surface tension to allow the water in the ear to run out easier and dry more readily. The vinegar residual creates a hostile pH environment for the organisms most likely to start and infection. I've seen $$$ dive vacations ruined by external ear infection. Not fun and it hurts!!!, having had one once. Takes you out of the water for days.

A cautionary note here - I get water in my ears snorkeling. I see no way she could not, but she claims to be OK snorkeling.
Water in the ears....maybe a red herring? With a hood on and underwater, it's not something one much notices. Once out of the water a dose of ear beer and the water is gone. Go gently into this situation.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

My friend Keith has a dryhood and swears by it for warmth and comfort.

Good luck!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Post by SCUBARM79 »

Thanks YellowEye and Fmerkel.

Thanks for the recipe for "Ear beer". I've seen it on the board a few times and hadn't encountered the ingredients. I'll have to give it a try. (Wife may not be a fan unless it is a spray, not fill ear canal)

When I was a comp. swimmer we did something similar for swimmer's ear- fill ear with 50:50 isopropyl and Hydrogen Peroxide (wait until the fizzing stops). Follow with a warmed rinse similar to ScubaJess' suggestion/product (warm water with a few drops of olive oil with some tea tree or winter green oil.) Still use it to this day for me and my kids. No outer ear infections! (Wife not a fan my method- fills ear canal). Tried it once many moons ago. BUT! the spritz technique may work to be a hydrophobic repellant...hmmm... all good ideas! Gears are turning...

WARNING-The fizzy/ popping in the ear TICKLES! (from the hydrogen peroxide).

As an aside, garlic infused alcohol/ vinegar has been used historically/naturopathically to treat ear infections. Also might work to keep the vampire squid away while diving?

Dry Hood- solid option. Odds are if she does get into diving, I'm going to steer her toward a drysuit anyway because she doesn't do cold well. I'm still wet... for now...I use a wet suit more for other things too and am more cold tolerant. I'm looking for options that we can vacation with and use in the pool to train with. dryhood = drysuit, ya? (ignorance question, sorry)

Thanks again all!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
Dry hoods are not standard fare for drysuits. Most drysuit divers dive with semi dry hoods. You have to seek out a dry hood.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!