Dive Insurance ....

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Dive Insurance ....

Post by PapaZ »

D.A.N. has been excellent for giving me peace of mind knowing I have coverage for dive travels we do within the United States and worldwide.

My policy expires as of January 31st each year, so I went to D.A.N.s website and started the renewal process online, but keep getting a 'need to choose plan" pop up on the web site.
The site would only show the Guardian Plan, which I have, but would not let me select it. (appears the Guardian Plan is the only one available in Washington State now?)

Numerous attempt with the same dead-end results

So, I made a phone call to DAN.

In the phone call this morning....I was informed that I cannot renew my 'Guardian' plan as I'm over 70 years of age. I indicated to them that I am 72 and have a current policy.
A change was made by the underwriters of the plan this last year.

DAN states they "hope" to have a replacement plan in place by the first of the year. Note the word "hope" was used several times in our conversation.

Wondering if there are any other options for dive insurance that covers diving within the U.S. and in foreign countries without the age restrictions?

Papa Z
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive Insurance ....

Post by Scubak »

I would be interested to hear from others what they do for dive insurance.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Same thing happened to me last year.
After all these years buying DAN, basically all I get now, is the Alert Diver magazine :( :( :(
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Maybe try Dive Assure? I've enrolled with them before. It is primary insurance, not secondary like DAN, so more expensive but arguably better.

https://diveassure.com/en/home/
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Post by PapaZ »

Just checked them out.
They "temporarily" do not have coverage for within the United States.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

PapaZ wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:15 pm Just checked them out.
They "temporarily" do not have coverage for within the United States.
Dive Assure has never been authorized in Washington State. I look into them every year when my DAN insurance renews and it's never been available in Washington.
Cetacea
Avid Diver

Post by Cetacea »

I used the travel insurance offered through DAN and when our dive trip was cut short because of weather, I was refunded for half the dive trip including my trimix fills, hotel and other related expenses. I’m sold on trip insurance as well as DAN Dive insurance...hope none of us ever need it..
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

This is pretty disheartening for sure. Especially for divers that have relied on DAN for so many years and then... “Sorry you’re too old.” DAN seemed to rise above some of the issues that plague the industry. Before someone blasts me, I do understand risk, costs, etc... However, there are ways to protect and one should be grandfathered in if using the insurance for years. Rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Scubie Doo wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:50 am This is pretty disheartening for sure. Especially for divers that have relied on DAN for so many years and then... “Sorry you’re too old.” DAN seemed to rise above some of the issues that plague the industry. Before someone blasts me, I do understand risk, costs, etc... However, there are ways to protect and one should be grandfathered in if using the insurance for years. Rant over.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, growing old gets less and less fun.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Regardless of what happens with DAN insurance, I would suggest that you keep your DAN membership. The membership provides for $100k of evacuation (not repatriation) insurance as well the DAN hotline. So basically the evacuation insurance will get you from the divesite to the nearest hospital or chamber that can provide the assistance that you need. You'll also get access to the DAN doctors to help assist local medical personnel in diagnosis and treatment.

As for the other supplemental insurance that is provided through DAN insurance, you'll need to find a supplemental medical plan that doesn't exclude diving. Also, if you're traveling, I'd suggest finding an evacuation and repatriation policy.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

I believe this is a Washington State insurance regulation problem, not a DAN problem.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Wow this isn't good news. I commiserate with you on this. That means I only have 10 years before I have the same dilemma and I plan on diving for many more years.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Desert Diver wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:56 pm I believe this is a Washington State insurance regulation problem, not a DAN problem.
DAN uses another insurance carrier for the actual insurance. That carrier changed the rule to exclude age 71 and older. If you already had coverage and crossed 71 years, DAN has been grandfathering those divers in until the next renewal. Then they cannot get that level of insurance anymore.

Long thread about this in ScubaBoard. They have been 'hoping' to have this taken care of for months now. I'm getting close to the line....

I'm 71 and DAN won't insure me -- now what?
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/th ... at.580792/
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.