Vintage Dive Gear-Help (opinions)

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Vintage Dive Gear-Help (opinions)

Post by SCUBARM79 »

I've had a few vintage dive masks fall into my possession:

1. Sears Compensazione (Made in Italy)
2. Swimmaster Wide view (has a neoprene face seal)
3. Nemrod Denia

I don't need the clutter. While they certainly are cool, they aren't in the best condition (some holes in the nose pocket of the Nemrod, straps deteriorating, aka- usual age related issues on all). Rubber is still pliable (but I wouldn't trust it)

Any suggestions on a home, aside from the land fill?

Also, what to do with "old neoprene"? Came with two hoods and a pair of gloves that have thumb, index and "mitt" configuration. All have the "waffle" exterior texture.

I got all of this as a lot with a pair of 1st stages connected to some 2nds (Aqualung stuff), an AL80 with original 70's J-valve with Aqualung backplate (the rod is even still attached to the valve!), and a set of original Jet fins (one size fits all... except mine with my booties on! :rofl: ). They'll fit my hopeful dive buddy on the couch- if she ever gets certified... :joshsmith:

Looking at getting the regs operational (a Calypso 4 and a Conshelf 12) They are attached to their original 1st stages (one is open/wet system?) and can't seem to figure out what the 1st stages are. Resource for figuring that out? (Curiosity sake)

Had some other various reg combos dropped on my porch- literally (Scubapro 109 on a Mk9 or 10, Posiedin- Jetstream on a ??? 1st).

Of course there were some vintage gauges in the lot as well. Including a Scubapro SOS depth gauge with blackface. (cool!) Not sure of usability, so not going to add info. on the rest of the lot.

My plan was to use all this to build two set ups using that which has come to me.

I recently acquired an Apex xtx50 as my primary rig, and would use the Aqualung/Scubapro as octo. Would set up the Poseidon as a backup rig/ friend rig/ current rig?

Thoughts? Yes, I know they are heavy. (not an issue). Yes, I know they are all older than me. (Oh crap I aged myself!! LOL!)

I'm after opinions from experienced folks here that have, maybe, used this gear in setups and could maybe provide insights?
(still use this gear? :rawlings: )

I don't (right now) have any plans to service any of the spare 1st stages (including the Mk9/10) or the Aqualung units, unless information arises that would sway that notion? The major limitation of one of the aqualung 1st is that it literally has 2 ports- 1 LP and 1HP. May rig that one with an inflation hose? (don't have pony's at this time)

Set up 1: Apex 1st w/ xtx50 + ???
Set Up 2: Poseidon 1st w/ Jet Stream + ???

Ready... set...Go!

PS- I want to use the gear as a thanks to the folks that sent it my way. I gather that cost of services may reach the level of just getting a "new" octo reg.. I also know that this gear is still serviceable and is in great current condition (otherwise I wouldn't bring it up)
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Vintage Dive Gear-Help (opinions)

Post by H20doctor »

eBay... Lots of people collect vintage dive gear so I would just throw it up on eBay and make some money off of it
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Re: Vintage Dive Gear-Help (opinions)

Post by SCUBARM79 »

Ya. that thought has occurred to me- off load the lot. Condition is good to excellent on all of it and the techs have parts to get regs working.

The open system would make a good paper weight on desk!

Gathering there are no vintage mask collectors here, so I'll give them to my 'connection' to put on Ebay.

Looks like beer coozies and coasters are in my crafting future from the gloves and hoods. I dug around the interweb and found that they are "not recycled". There are a number of places that take your wetsuit/ neoprene off your hands to "up cycle/recycle". That's a plus.