Eelgrass in Tacoma

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Okumurman
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Eelgrass in Tacoma

Post by Okumurman »

I am looking to do a photography project with eelgrass, but I am unfamiliar with the shallow waters of Tacoma. I am a Stay at home dad (SAHD) and I don’t have tons of free time to go searching around. I am looking for shallow eelgrass that I can wade to at low tide. Any help would be much appreciated.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Eelgrass in Tacoma

Post by CaptnJack »

The beach south of redondo boat ramp and salt water state park are your best bets at 0.5/zero or lower tides. There is some eel grass in from of the access points west of the crab shack along the Tacoma waterfront (Ruston Way) but you will need an extreme low tide to see it, like -2.

Its going to take some planning to find a tide that low in the daytime when you're free and its not windy/stormy etc.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

The eel grass south of the boat ramp at redondo is about non existent, unfortunately. I havent been to the north of Saltys, used to be a good bed of eel grass on that side.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

In Tacoma you can find plenty of eelgrass in the shallows at Les Davis.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

The last time I took my kayak out from Chambers Creek there was a very healthy and extensive ell grass bed in from of the creek mouth, both to the north and south. Shore access would probably be from the Steilacoom city park, but I'd verify first...
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."