whales and isolation

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

whales and isolation

Post by oldsalt »

We are taking the virus threat seriously. Older people with "underlying conditions" are particularly at risk. That's us. We are both 76. My wife is undergoing cancer treatment and I am under care for a heart condition. Fortunately, we live on the Sound and it provides stimulation. In the time we have been in self isolation we have seen orca twice and gray whales on a daily basis. I believe the grays we see to be some of "the sounders", the small population which return to Puget Sound on a regular basis. Thee pictures I am posting are unremarkable, but they are shot from home while we are in isolation. There have been three animals. Two stick so close together that they are difficult to distinguish. The first picture shows what I mean.
whale pair
whale pair
All baleen whales have double blowholes. This picture I shot earlier shows this.
blowholes
blowholes
This means that sometimes you get a heart shaped spout.
Double spout
Double spout
Like seeing organisms underwater, in order to see them, you have to bee looking. Many people are oblivious.
Whale with passing boat
Whale with passing boat
Still alive, and enjoying it.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Re: whales and isolation

Post by RoxnDox »

awesome that you can see these!
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Fantastic report. I'm glad you can see such amazing critters from your window!!!
stay safe! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Fantastic report. I'm glad you can see such amazing critters from your window!!!
stay safe! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very nice! What are those birds out there? Are they feeding off the same stuff?

Stay safe!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

The birds are a mix of diving ducks: surf scoters, mergansers, bufflehead, and goldeneyes. They often signal the location of the whales. My guess is that as the whales feed by scooping up the bottom they also stir up organisms the ducks feed upon. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, until somebody tells me I'm wrong.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Not many people can say that they can watch whales while following the "Stay Home" rule :)
Stay safe and show us what else you see from your home ...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Milwaukie-diver
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Milwaukie-diver »

Ty ty ty, glad you're staying healthy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Post by SCUBARM79 »

Great shots. As a citizen-scientist monitoring station, I imagine with all the reduced water traffic the large aquatic mammal wildlife are wondering why things have gone so quiet, and you may see more sightings with reduced boat traffic. I wonder if they get tinnitus too? Your observation that the divers feed on the stirred up sediment is an idea. Also consider the smaller fish that are similarly feeding on the smaller organisms that are in the area of the whales feeding. Opportunism abounds in nature.

found this website:https://thewhaletrail.org/wt-species/gray-whale/
I honestly didn't know we had grey whales in Puget Sound. Thanks for the heads up!