Whales: Orcas and more

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Whales: Orcas and more

Post by oldsalt »

I keep whale journal, kind of like a dive log. Virtually every day this year, I have an entry of seeing gray whales from my home at Tulalip. I have ventured out from my Covid hideaway a couple of times. Once was to watch orca in Saratoga Passage near Camano Island. By now, most of you know we encounter two populations of orca in the Salish sea. One population, commonly called "residents" eat salmon. ^The other, labeled "transients", eat mammals. They were named that by Dr. Michael Biggs who identified individuals and recognized that there were distinct populations. The ones I saw were "transients" which are now the more commonly seen animals locally because we have more seals and fewer fish. They shared a kill while I was watching them. Here are some photos.
Mother and daughter
Mother and daughter
spyhopping
spyhopping
pair
pair
trio
trio
My other outing was with Westport Seabirds. We saw humpbacks, orca, Dalls porpoise and the ubiquitous harbor porpoise. Dall's porpoise are so fast, that getting a picture is difficult. This shot gives an idea of their speed.
Dalls porpoise
Dalls porpoise
We also saw mola mola or ocean sunfish. One individual topped five hundred pounds. Also lots of blue sharks and fur seals.
Still watching the sea, Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
coldfinger
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Whales: Orcas and more

Post by coldfinger »

Very cool, thanks! Any recommendations for locations having a decent probability of seeing orcas from shore? We've lived here 22+ years and I've seen 1 doral fin (male) once, from the Tsawassen ferry. Skunked at Lime Kiln Park. If COVID ends and we're still here, we should definitely go out with Westport Seabirds, based on your postings.
Thanks!
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

coldfinger; Watching from shore is a challenge. Living on the water gives me a huge advantage. My best luck has come at Turn Point Light on Stuart Island. We were supposed to be docents at the light, but BLM (the federal agency, not the social movement) closed the Light station for the season. The whale watching services Puget Sound Express (out of Edmonds) and Island Adventures (Anacortes) will give you good looks each time. Westport Seabirds is more of an adventure, leaving from Westport early (5;30 0R 6 AM), and going 40 miles offshore, returning at 3:30. I'm a huge fan, but it isn't for everybody, especially those prone to seasickness.
=Curt
Happy to be alive.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Amazing!!!!!!!! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Looks like you have front seat for some amazing action. Thanks for sharing. I can see water from my porch, but no whales ...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Very neat, thanks for sharing!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

That is really very cool. Thank you very much for sharing!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Nice!!

In what form do you see the blue sharks? From the surface, or perhaps by fishing line?

How many mola molas did you see?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

YE: No fishing lines, blue sharks were seen from the surface, like this one.
Blue Shark3.JPG
I saw two mola molas.
molamola1
molamola1
This one was really big.
DSC_4981.JPG
It doesn't take much to entertain me.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
coldfinger
Frequent Bubbler

Post by coldfinger »

Yeah, hard to imagine anyone being entertained just by watching amazing creatures swimming in the water. :clap:

Thank you again for sharing!