Dolphins Swimming in Bioluminesce

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
60south
Pelagic

Dolphins Swimming in Bioluminesce

Post by 60south »

oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: Dolphins Swimming in Bioluminesce

Post by oldsalt »

Sixty: You are right. Absolutely gorgeous. I had a similar experience a few years ago. I was alone on watch after midnight. We were south of Cape Flattery doing a yacht delivery to California. When I heard a splash, I stepped out of the pilot house onto the deck . A pod of Dall's Porpoise was riding the wake. The bioluminesence highlighted their black and white pattern. When they leaped out of the water, they disappeared into the darkness only to reappear when re-submerged. They left a zig zag trail of bubbles in their wake. It was all over too quickly. Thanks for posting.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
blt2go
Avid Diver

Post by blt2go »

I know Escher is known mainly for his woodcuts of mind bending scenes but this one of dolphins swimming in front of a ship is one of my favorites... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphins_(M._C._Escher)
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

60south wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:09 pm I think this is the most beautiful thing I've seen all year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BeAmazed/comments/k4xw8t/glowing_dolphins_playing_in_the_bioluminescent/
Wow, that is incredible!! Thanks for sharing that, fantastic.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

In 10 years of diving I've experienced this in Puget Sound once.

Come on!!! I want it again! Has anyone seen a pattern to the appearance of this bioluminescence in Puget Sound?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman