Hypothetical Question (sorta): What do you do if you find a firearm while diving?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
60south
Pelagic

Hypothetical Question (sorta): What do you do if you find a firearm while diving?

Post by 60south »

Kinda slow on the board lately. Thought I'd stir up the silt a bit...

The question isn't really hypothetical because, inevitably, someone here will find a weapon while diving. This year alone we've found quite a lot of unspent 30-06 ammunition from the WWI era, and a CO2 air pistol (badly corroded).

Let's assume that you find a handgun while diving.

Common sense says you shouldn't play with the thing and probably leave it alone. At the same time, however, it might have been used in a crime and should be returned to the police. If you leave it, it may be difficult to find again. If you take it, you should at least make sure it's unloaded before toting it anywhere. I suppose the answer may depend on its condition and your own comfort level with firearms.

:popcorn:
RoxnDox
Submariner

Re: Hypothetical Question (sorta): What do you do if you find a firearm while diving?

Post by RoxnDox »

Well, your last couple of sentences are certainly valid... If it was me (which it wouldn't be since I don't dive now <sad face>), I would make note of the location as closely as possible, take some photos if you have a camera, and then try to safe it. If it's old and corroded and things aren't moving, take it up - carefully, not just tossing it into a junk bag. ;) If it's new enough to move the action, pull the clip and eject any chambered round, or empty the cylinder. Keep the rounds removed. Then surface and turn it over to the local PD.

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Hypothetical Question (sorta): What do you do if you find a firearm while diving?

Post by H20doctor »

I watch a guy on YouTube all the time he's a diver finds all kinds of stuff in the rivers and waterways.. every time he finds a gun he immediately brings it to the surface calls the police because of the weapon was used in a crime or a murder they can run the serial number... I think if you found something that was old civil war era something like that I probably wouldn't bother but if you found a current handgun say like in the last 20 years then you're supposed to call the police and then they pick it up... if the gun is clean and no issues you can usually get it back from the police department
Last edited by H20doctor on Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

Cool topic.
A year ago while diving Point Hudson, I came across a hinge action shortened barrel 20 gauge shotgun with a modified stock. I made a short video to document the location (guessing it was thrown off the NW Maritime Center dock), made sure it was safe and headed to the beach with it. Before bringing it up the beach, I made sure no one was around in case they got excited and called 911 “Scuba Diver with gun!” Anyway, I contacted the PD to come get it. They ran the numbers and found no registered owner. I forget the model but it was manufactured ~1950. Although it looks a bit rusty, with a little cleanup, I suspect it would fire fine. As far as I know, it remains in their evidence room today.
Attachments
7DDA5F54-6A93-48B4-848B-82D494480CD2.jpeg
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Found a cheap semi-auto pistol in a case off Duwamish Head about 10 years ago. Called 911, told them it was a non-emergency. Patrol officer came by about 25mins later and took it. Guns in the water were part of a crime, you don't want to be holding onto evidence which may be a key element to solving a crime. There is no reason to leave it unless you're that uncomfortable bringing it up.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

And there it is.

Good posts.
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Post by E_Mo »

If you can mark the location (say with a SMB or other buoy) that would be best to help the police identify the location. The best thing is to keep it submerged in water. When you expose it to air, oxidization/rust really takes hold. You could bring it up to the shore area, keeping it submerged as long as possible. If they send out CSI, they would most likely collect it a bucket/vessel that can keep it submerged as well.

If they can get it functioning again, they will test fire it to get a casing and fired bullet for NIBIN purposes to compare against other evidence from crimes.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Today it happened.

Found a semi-auto handgun off of one of the docks in Port Townsend. It's been down there a while, no magazine, trigger and hammer rusted away.

It's basically a block of rust so we didn't report it.

gun.jpg
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Wow! That's crazy!!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

ScubaJess wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:45 amWow! That's crazy!!!
Crazier still... I think we've identified it as an FN Browning M1903, from circa 1905-1920. It's probably been down there a loooong time.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Sixty, Upon reading the wikipedia link, it may be the gun that started WWI.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

The grip plate logo certainly IDs it as an FN Browning... Great find!
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Following up on the pistol... It cleaned up surprisingly well. Some of the numbers are still readable.
gun1.jpg
gun2.jpg
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

I bet it has a very fascinating story... crazy find
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: