Dive Insurance ....

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Dive Insurance ....

Post by PapaZ »

So, here we are into January 2021 ...

In Washington State, we have a unique situation with DAN dive insurance if you are over 70 years of age.

Here is the latest from DAN:

No Coverage Available For Divers Age 70+

Currently, DAN is unable to offer a dive accident insurance plan to divers age 70 and older in the state of Washington. However, residents of Washington age 70 older can still become DAN members. We are optimistic that we will be able to offer dive accident insurance in Washington to divers age 70 and older in the near future.

(this has been going on for 2 years now. Our Washington State Insuarance Commissioner has told me that it is the underwriter that is the problem, not our state.)

I wonder what the number is of Washington State divers that still dive are?

Several months ago I asked DAN to become our advocate to get the underwriter to insure us. DAN did not help.

As for dive insurance for those of us 70+, none is available in the U.S.A.. Only Dive Assure has coverage but only if diving outside of the U.S.A..

If anyone has new updated info, would appreciate seeing it.
60south
Pelagic

Re: Dive Insurance ....

Post by 60south »

Thanks for pursing this. I wonder what is different about WA that the underwriters won't insure 70+ here?

FWIW, DAN insurance is secondary insurance. Your primary insurance is the first line of defense; making sure that's as good as possible is probably the best (only?) action available.