Ocean Plastic Waste: A Problem Globally & Locally - What Can We Do?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
cedwardbaird
Just Settling In

Re: Ocean Plastic Waste: A Problem Globally & Locally - What Can We Do?

Post by cedwardbaird »

FYI: There are two "free" Styrofoam recycle events in Snohomish County (Jan. 8 & 18) where clean Styrofoam is collected and then hauled down to Styro Recycle in Kent, WA. This is an opportunity to recycle your inventory of clean Styrofoam that you have accumulated over the holidays.

A. Jan. 8, Styrofoam collection event:

The first collection event is sponsored by the Creation Caretakers group of the Marysville United Methodist Church. This will be a drive-through event in the parking lot behind the church. Here are the main details:

Date: Jan. 8, 2022
Time: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM

Here is a link to Marysville United Methodist Church website that describes the collection event that includes a link to a flyer that describes what is and is not accepted:

http://www.marysvilleumc.org/events--calendar.html

B. Jan. 18, Styrofoam collection event:

The second collection event is sponsored by the Students for Environmental Action of Everett Community College. Here are the main details:

Date: Jan. 18, 2022
Time: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM

This will be a drive-through event at Staff Parking Lot F. To help you find Staff Parking Lot F, here is a link to a map of the Everett Community College campus.

https://www.everettcc.edu/files/adminis ... -print.pdf

From Broadway, drive west on Tower Street. Keep driving west until Tower Steet terminates at Staff Parking Lot F which is adjacent to Glacier Hall.

Here is a link to a flyer that describes what is and is not accepted:

https://www.everettcc.edu/calendar/2022 ... ling-event
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

It’s so strange that styrofoam recycling isn’t more widely available (for example, accepted in our recycling bins).

I remember in college chemistry class we made, then reversed styrofoam and it was a fairly simple chemical process (easy enough for us idiots to carry out). When converted back a huge piece of styrofoam became a tiny amount of liquid, if memory serves.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Tangfish wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:27 pm “2022: Require restaurants and food service businesses to only give customers disposable serviceware upon request, including plastic utensils, straws, condiment packages, and cup lids for cold beverages.”
Is this in effect now? I'll be curious to know if restaraunts are going to keep giving us straws when we order drinks and soda for sit down service!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Restaurants so far do not seem to be aware of this new law about not allowing straws unless it was requested.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I was just given straws at two different places yesterday, before I could decline them.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Happy Friday!!! Check out this cool art piece my friend Laura Erekson made out of trash we found in the ocean at Redondo Beach WA🖖🌊🤿🐙🐟💖🧜‍♀️🚫🚮🗑️🍴🥄📟👠👟⚽👞🥿💾💿⚾🥤🍬🎨🖼️
Attachments
FB_IMG_1643991312406.jpg
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Omg, that is amazingly cool!