The Mola Mola Mission

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
60south
Pelagic

The Mola Mola Mission

Post by 60south »

Hi All,

I just got back from at 10-day trip to Socorro Islands, and now I'm jazzed to check off more bucket-list items.

Near the top of the list is to see an Ocean Sunfish, a.k.a. the Mola Mola. But... where? How? I need ideas.

Anybody know where I could reliably go see one?

glenn
dlh
Submariner

Re: The Mola Mola Mission

Post by dlh »

Galapagos. I am 2 for 2 on Mola Mola there. Second trip we saw ten or so.
Dave
coldfinger
Frequent Bubbler

Post by coldfinger »

We saw several (from above the water) on a whale-watching boat in Monterey Bay a couple of years ago. Don't know how common they are there, but there were a few. But if you want to see them from underwater, probably not helpful - not close to shore. But quicker/cheaper to get to than the Galapagos.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

dlh wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:02 pm Galapagos. I am 2 for 2 on Mola Mola there. Second trip we saw ten or so.
What time of the year were you there? I was there in March and we didn't see any.
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

60south wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:47 am
dlh wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:02 pm Galapagos. I am 2 for 2 on Mola Mola there. Second trip we saw ten or so.
What time of the year were you there? I was there in March and we didn't see any.
Mid February 2020
Dave
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

This is not diving, but I have had dozens of sightings while out with Westport Seabirds. I seek not only birds but whales. They go out of the way when they see a Mola Mola. Their website reports their sightings. Check their trip reports to see when they are most likely.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.