Whales and such

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Whales and such

Post by oldsalt »

For years, watching whales was a side benefit of my diving and sailing. On dive charters, I was the guy standing out on deck scanning the horizon when everyone else was down below. Since I had to give up diving and sold my boat, seeking whales had become much more intentional. So far this year, I have recorded about 140 whale encounters. Earlier this week, I saw this humpback off Smith Island.
Humpback BCY1218
Humpback BCY1218
When it fluked, the view of the ventral surface permitted i.d. The cataloging agency, in this case BC Department of Fisheries and Oceans, assigned it the number BCY1218 and the name "Kata."
Fluke
Fluke
They generally give gender neutral names, not because whales are gender fluid, but because we humans find it difficult to determine sex. I assume the whales don't have that problem. I saw other neat things on this trip, such as Puffins and a genuine sea otter near Bird Rocks.
Puffin1.JPG
Sea Otter
Sea Otter
Even an old man can still have fun,
Curt :rawlings:
Last edited by oldsalt on Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Happy to be alive.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Whales and such

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool! 140 is an impressive number! Sounds like you're living it up!

Greetings from Canada. McNiel and Hardy and beyond! We've been seeing lots of cool critters up here too. Minke, white sided, dall's porpoise, otters, humpbacks, seals, sea lions, so many sea birds, and don't get me started on the marine life!

Pics soon. Hope you're well!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Yelloweye: What an impressive list of mammals. Seabirds, and diving too! You are so lucky. It's been 18 years since I've been to Port McNiel and the rest. Your pictures will be treasured by me. I haven't posted earlier this year because i haven't had anything new. While individual i.d. of orca and gray whales has been accessible to me for some time, I just learned to i.d humpbacks. Still learning.
Thanks, Curt
Happy to be alive.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Love the pics, Curt!
Jenn
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Such a fantastic report 😻🌊🐳🐳🐳🐬🐟🖖🥳💖
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: