NWDC & Ads

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Okay, on top it is.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Seems like the general consensus is that you guys are okay with the ads. I messaged with kgdiver a bit and he doesn't like them. I asked him to post here giving the reasons why, in case others feel the same way.

All that I ask is that anyone who thinks we shouldn't have the ads (and there are many good reasons why), please offer another, hopefully better solution to the problem of finding a way to make this little club sustainable.

For me, I think we do it while keeping it free at all costs (or voluntary at the very least, like buying a t-shirt). But, for others the invasion of visual space may be more offensive than paying club dues.

I'm totally open to suggestions and feedback, this site and club is all of ours and each person has a say.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Hardly noticable, Looks okay to me!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

So.... :smt024

Now that the adds are up and crankin'.... :book:

Does anybody know anything about the reliability of the "Free Dive Regulator" add? Is it legit? Do you have to buy a Delta 4's worth of stuff to get the reg? ](*,) Or endure endless spam for the rest of your life? :axe: Or get endless dinner time phone calls from solicitors? :violent3: Or sit through endless presentations then an hour of arm wrestling a salesman at some high pressure time share place? :angryfire: :boxing:

I suppose I should just click on it and go for it, but I'm being chicken! :pale: Or maybe just smart and protecting myself, depending on your perspective! :smt027

Must admit the add caught my greedy little eye... would love to have an additional reg for the pony bottle that I'll be picking up at the UWS Dive Fair! :supz:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Don't do it Tom!

It is a trick that will get you put on a Mailing list, that will send you Junk e-mail. They ask you to sign up for two offers ie. Netflix or Columbia House. coffee clubs ect... it takes alot of time to answer no to all of the offers and then they insist you sign up for two of the items.
Lots of red Tape with this free regulator.

Keith
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah, it's a bad deal.....but I have a map to some buried underwater treasure I could be persuaded to sell you for a nice price!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Me too - except my map is a sure bet! I promise you'll find treasure... I also have some ocean front property in Issaquah for sale!

What the hey! I'll do it! I'll keep you posted!!!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Yeah, unfortunately I clicked that ad and was promptly whisked away to spam land before closing the window. It reminds me of that mountain dew commercial. "wowwwww, free regulator" *in a trance* :angryfire:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I love it! I created a new hotmail address to use - nwsc69@hotmail.com and am using it. I have to complete 10 merchant offers (i.e. you have to buy something, but some of them are only $9 or so) and then they send it to you. Hey, so I get some new neck ties and some "premium cigars" - I didn't fall into spam land though. Tonight I'm going to see if I can finish it - you know, apply for a few credit cards, enlarge my member, make her go wild TONIGHT!, AOL's got a new something-er-other, what great deals!

I've always wanted to do one of these - why the hell not! I'll keep you posted! If nothing else, we're getting paid by the click right?!

God, I love internet marketing! If you want to see "my baby," go to http://www.HomePages.com - that's my team's site (my company has several) and see an aerial picture of your house, homes for sale around you, etc. You DON'T have to register an email and we won't spam you... it's actually a pretty sweet site! Let me know what you think - the new and improved site will be out in the fall!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Go for it, Sounder!!

Although I will be jealous if you end up with the free reg!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

They sure make you earn it - I'm interested to see if they actually follow up on it. If it costs me $50 bucks to find out, I'm cool with that. It's kind of fun! \:D/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I suppose if you're going to step into the lion's den of mass marketing you need a good attitude and a throw away email address! Good luck!

I already own the reg. It's a great one... I really love it. Would love to have another for my pony!
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

OK Clavin Ill bite:
:smt064
What happend to the adds? :dontknow: I was just going to explore the sites a little bit of the Adds I thought waht the heck cant hurt to check some of them out , :smt024 And when I looked the adds are gone . did you decide they were not for us or what? ](*,)

any reason they no longer apear or is there maybe a problm that needs to be adressed? :dontknow:

just wondering

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

A couple of people contacted me privately and made a case for not having ads. I personally think it was a nice way to support the club but it runs contrary to what some people believe the site should be about. In the beginning I asked first if everyone was okay with it and only intended on running ads if it didn't upset anyone. So, I'll wrack my brain some more on how to make the dive club sustainable, yet free. :book:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

OH I see

well I was just wondering what had happend to them

did not bother me none I thought it was a good idea
But hey what do I know right

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

I realize you haven't sold all of the shirts, but if your not making a little bit of profit from the sales, you should be. No one expects a totally free ride in most anything. I think it is just an issue of how the funding is come by. I am not opposed to supporting the sustainment of the club. Let us know how we can help. I've already met a few nice dive buddies up hear, and that is worth something!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'm philosophically opposed to personally making any profit from this dive club. Trust me, I have plenty of other ventures in play that can meet that need.

I just want folks here to enjoy diving, and if having some dive apparel and stickers or whatnot help in identifying each other and bringing in new cool people then I think it's worth the challenge of finding a way to get it done. My payment is both meeting great dive buddies and seeing others do the same.

Before we had a dive club, I was relegated to wishing I knew people to dive with and meeting the odd visitor to the dive shop who actually didn't mind diving with a tropical diver who didn't know his way around.

Now, when I see divers learning about the sport and meeting people and getting good advice, sometimes before they even hit the water for the first time, it makes me happy that there's a place for this to happen. Also, I've made some great friends from this site, and that is something you can't put a price tag on. :supz:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Right on Calvin well said! I have memberships at other boards and I think they are all great but this one I like the most. Ive allready met more people on this board than any other. So far its been great no B.S so far just folks that like to dive.. =D>
Who run barter town?