Dive Store Owner is a #$#***##$!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
H20doctor

Dive Store Owner is a #$#***##$!

Post by H20doctor »

I am so Sick of this Owner...! I rented a tank from his store on Monday.. I brought it back Today, Thursday.. It was a one tank day rental.. When I brought it in and he looked me up in the computer He asked me.." was this a one day rental..? " I said to him YES.. He then said to me " why didnt you have it back by Tues..? " I said cause I live in lake stevens and I am very Busy... He then said to me.." Do you know how much its going to cosy you.., about 30.00 or so..?" I said to him yes I dont have a problem with paying the amount.. He then read me the riot act about his tanks not being in on time and how he was very upset about me not getting the one day tank back on tuesday.. I then told him just charge me..! I dont care..! .. He then went off on another tangent and acted like I had committed a crime against his dive shop..
After he had said his words..He then said never mind I am not going to charge you..BUT next time you cant get my tank back to the shop or you need more time Call me....
I have had several problems with this owner and I hate going into his dive shop.. A year ago He would not fill my alum 90 catalina tank because he said it was a danger to fill and there have been many recalls.. Weel if my tank was such a danger then it never would have passed the Hydro or the VIP.... What a Puts, as far as I am concerned I hope he goes out of business soon... :angryfire:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

H2O,

There are plenty of dive shops in the Seattle area. Instead of complaining, why don't you chose another one?

I'm not sure what the point of your post was other than to say you feel like the diveshop owner insulted you. I've been there, I understand, but as I said, there are plenty of other shops.

Jake
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Nwbrewer wrote:H2O,
I'm not sure what the point of your post is
Jake
Sometimes people just need to vent. :salute:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

It's never a good idea ... from a business perspective ... to "preach" to customers. All that accomplishes is to drive them to your competitor. It's often the case that one dive shop owner will be another's best salesman.

Unfortunately, an awful lot of dive shop owners haven't figured that out yet. There's a couple of shops I avoid for just that reason.

One of my "Laws of LDS Patronage" ... if you are walking out of an LDS is a worse mood than when you walked in, it's the wrong shop for you. Find another ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I wish I had the money to open a shop. A big shop. With a Pool. And Internet sales. Rec-to Tech. and a Boat, for charters. And cute girls working the counter \:D/ , that were KNOWLEDGABLE bout diving :book: . Great instructors who had the desire to go above and beyond the Agency course requirements. And the attitude that CUSTOMER SERVICE IS EVERYTHING. If you want it, I have it, or will get it for you. If you WALK into the shop, you'll probably pay less than if you bought it from me online. Airfills at the shop, and on the boat. Not sure how to do it over the "NET" yet. You leave them overnight, great fills. Need em that day, great fills. You want Mixed Gas, you get what you order. If you're not satisfied with a piece of equipment I sold you, no problem, I'll make it right. I can sell this crap on the net. Cheap. Now how did you want it done? Oh and the cute girls are always smiling. You say you want a snorkel? I wont tell you why you shouldnt. Want a backplate, 7 foot hose, Can light no problem. Heck, why not. Let's sell some gear for the DIT students too. You keep a rental one day too long, no problem. Thank you for renting from me in the first place. Its 10-15 dollars more than my competitor got! And if you return, its 20-30 more than they made. It's up to me to keep enough rental gear so that I can make everyone happy, and its not a federal case if something comes in late.

Sorry about your experience Chris :angryfire: . I dont even have to ask who it was. I know who, just by your post. Im sure others do too.

What I like about this idea is the thought of all you Dive shop owners shaking your heads saying....."Yeah right Pez. Sounds good until you actually try to do it" I agree. I'd never get a bunch of cute girls to work for me. #-o
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Dude Pez, you need to take out a loan and open a freaking shop! With you business philosophy, it would take off like a rocket!
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

your business plan is sound, Pez. In any sales job the number one thing to remember is this..... "Sure. No problem. I'll get it done, whatever it takes" If you say this to ALL of your clients (with conviction) you WILL have a successful business. You need to go above and beyond what everyone else is doing to set yourself apart.
I sell Ford trucks for a living. I take care of my clients and I pay attention to the little things. One of my Ford guys brings in his buddy who only buys Dodge.....No problem. I get on the phone and I get him a new Dodge. I dont push what I have if he really wants something else. The Dodge instead of a Ford is an EXTREME example and doesn't happen too often. \:D/ But you understand the philosophy...Just take care of your customers!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

There are always two sides to a story. Sounds like he was more wrong than you, but here are some thoughts on why he might have been in a sour mood about the whole thing.

He might have limited rental tank inventory and someone else needed that tank on day-2. He might have had to turn away a very frustrated customer who's arranged-for tank wasn't there when they came in to pick it up.

My LDS is small with limited inventory. Any time I rent extra bottles we both make it a point to check schedules to make sure there aren't conflicts with other renters. It's in my best interest to be helpful because if they go downhill I lose too.

-Ben[/list]
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

airsix wrote:He might have limited rental tank inventory and someone else needed that tank on day-2. He might have had to turn away a very frustrated customer who's arranged-for tank wasn't there when they came in to pick it up.
I agree:
pez7378 wrote:You keep a rental one day too long, no problem........It's up to me to keep enough rental gear so that I can make everyone happy, and its not a federal case if something comes in late.
I've tried to rent specific sized cylinders in the past only to get very frustrated. I called EVERY shop in Washington from Vancouver to Blaine. They were all rented already. It's the LDS's evil plot to force us into buying their goods! And it works too.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Pez7378 wrote:I wish I had the money to open a shop. A big shop. With a Pool. And Internet sales. Rec-to Tech. and a Boat, for charters. And cute girls working the counter \:D/ , that were KNOWLEDGABLE bout diving :book: . Great instructors who had the desire to go above and beyond the Agency course requirements. And the attitude that CUSTOMER SERVICE IS EVERYTHING. If you want it, I have it, or will get it for you. If you WALK into the shop, you'll probably pay less than if you bought it from me online. Airfills at the shop, and on the boat. Not sure how to do it over the "NET" yet. You leave them overnight, great fills. Need em that day, great fills. You want Mixed Gas, you get what you order. If you're not satisfied with a piece of equipment I sold you, no problem, I'll make it right. I can sell this crap on the net. Cheap. Now how did you want it done? Oh and the cute girls are always smiling. You say you want a snorkel? I wont tell you why you shouldnt. Want a backplate, 7 foot hose, Can light no problem. Heck, why not. Let's sell some gear for the DIT students too. You keep a rental one day too long, no problem. Thank you for renting from me in the first place. Its 10-15 dollars more than my competitor got! And if you return, its 20-30 more than they made. It's up to me to keep enough rental gear so that I can make everyone happy, and its not a federal case if something comes in late.
Actually, we had a shop in our area like that ... cute girls and all (well, OK ... they didn't have a boat). They went out of business a couple years ago ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Ahhh, SCUBASET. I loved going in that shop. I wish they could have made a go of it. :-({|=
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

NWbrewer... I offered to Pay him the rental money... The problem is everytime I go to this shop I have a problem with him.. He thinks He knows everything and his way is " THE WAY.." I own my own company and have done so for 12 years.. My clients are all in the 6 fig income and above.. I work for multi millionairs... I would never treat my clients , the way he runs this dive shop.... I am bitching on this board Because I needed to vent my frustration as a diver and getting and Paying for a rental tank That I offered to pay extended rental for...? all he had to do was charge me 45.00 and I would have left.. But he decided to preach to me His law and give me His wrath.
I do go to other dive stores, many other dive shops, underwater sports, Lighthouse, and others.. All other dive stores are great and friendly and very Helpfull. I love diving, and love and support alot of dive stores in the greater Puget sound... Just dont like the way I am treated everytime I go in there. The side to this story is He thinks He is the author and all knowing scuba store owner and dive cert Shop.... Just My thoughts People... Freedom of speech Here
Last edited by H20doctor on Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Time to buy a couple tanks...
H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

you said that right Captin Jack....
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

jeff just wonders what TRIPPLES would look like???????? \:D/ :dontknow: :la: :smt119
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

OK so now if some dive shops have limited rental tanks and such...........

Sounds to me like someone willing to buy tanks and a van could do some business with all dive shops. they dont have to carry the inventory, but when they need extra tanks, they could call and you deliver for a reasonable fee. Maybe they could do free annual inspections for you cause it is in their best interest.

Not business minded really but I just seen a potential business solution. If they were willing start out small with just tanks and then maybe other gear.HMMMMMMMMMM

Sorry sometimes my brain just gets to thinking :book: :smt024
Jeff Castor
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

H20doctor wrote: I do go to other dive stores, many other dive shops, underwater sports, Lighthouse, and others.. All other dive stores are great and friendly and very Helpfull. I love diving, and love and support alot of dive stores in the greater Puget sound... Just dont like the way I am treated everytime I go in there. The side to this story is He thinks He is the author and all knowing scuba store owner and dive cert Shop.... Just My thoughts People... Freedom of speach Here
Doc,

This is exactly my point. I wasn't saying you acted inappropriately at all. Things happen. When you return a video late, they don't lecture you right? Pay your fee and move on.

Given the number of alternatives in the area, just some of which you listed, why keep going back to a shop owner who treats you this way?

I have to admit, I've been back occasionally to one of the shops where I felt the owner treated me badly, but every time in the process of asking questions he winds up insulting my intelligence, or another shop, or whatever, and I leave without having touched my wallet.

If you really think as you said in the OP that you wish he'd go out of business, stop going in there. If he pisses off enough people, he will.

Jake
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

H20doctor wrote:Just My thoughts People... Freedom of speach Here
Just be careful. I stated my opinions on this board about Smokey Point and have now been permanently banned from the shop. No air fills; no nothing. I told them this was a public forum and I was expressing my concerns about their shop. His response: "I don't give a Sh*$. Get the f*$% out of my store." And that's their problem, they DON'T care. I had several conversations with the owners and nothing changed. I'm glad I'm banned because I'm not supporting a dangerous store. [-X
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Hmmmm, given that I've run into this kind of thing is both the "national" and the "local" shops I wonder if there is something about the dive business that enables this behaviour?

Factors?
It seems common, very common, for dive shop/boat operators to have an attitude that they know all and the diver knows little, or nothing.

At the same time from internet posts it would seem that there is a general disdain for the "average" diver. That the average diver has such poor skills and limited knowledge it is a wonder they can surface safely.
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

Seth T. wrote:
Just be careful. I stated my opinions on this board about Smokey Point and have now been permanently banned from the shop. No air fills; no nothing. I told them this was a public forum and I was expressing my concerns about their shop. His response: "I don't give a Sh*$. Get the f*$% out of my store." And that's their problem, they DON'T care. I had several conversations with the owners and nothing changed. I'm glad I'm banned because I'm not supporting a dangerous store. [-X
Wow, that's an interesting twist... they must follow this board then???
Fortes fortuna iuvat
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

BUZO71 wrote:
Seth T. wrote:
I don't care. This is a PUBLIC board. [-X
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

Seth T. wrote:
BUZO71 wrote:
Seth T. wrote:
I don't care. This is a PUBLIC board. [-X
Don't get me wrong, I feel ya... if that's the response you got from them; if they take critique that poorly, I doubt I would drop money with them either... I'd like to hear fro mthe Owner of Smokey Point... is he/she here?
Fortes fortuna iuvat
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

BUZO71 wrote: Don't get me wrong, I feel ya... if that's the response you got from them; if they take critique that poorly, I doubt I would drop money with them either... I'd like to hear fro mthe Owner of Smokey Point... is he/she here?
I don't believe so. Besides, if he is, I doubt he'll respond. Like I said, he doesn't give a sh*$ about me or my opinions. :axe:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
H20doctor

Post by H20doctor »

I think the same point can be made to diving and diving with other divers... People all use different dive signals... and one signal you may use with a diver may not mean the same thing to another...?
Just as a diver might Be very book smart, and know alot about tri mix gasses, diving safty, etc..etc.. from reading.. But then go out and dive with him and he sucks up all air in 15mins, and is a terrible diver...
Running a dive store is WORK, and its Hard, and a liability to people you sell to and educate. But the costomer is #1... No matter if he is wrong or a dick head... The customer is who pays the bills and keeps the store open for operation. So Be nice to the customers... Even though some customers are idiots... Ha Ha HA : )
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I wish I had the money to open.........................(i feel like i keep repeating myself.)

Funny, seems like Jake and Chris are talking about the same shop. Well, dealers don't treat the junkies with respect, same must hold true with NN addiction, and those who supply the means with which to experience it.........WHATEVER. WHO WANTS TO GO DIVING???? \:D/