Sci-fi geeks unite!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Sci-fi geeks unite!

Post by scottsax »

So much sci-fi out there, so little time. What do you like? Books, movies, TV shows, etc....

Some of my faves:

Star Wars Ep. I-VI
Star Trek (all except for Enterprise, hard to watch Scott Bakula in something besides Quantum Leap)
Firefly/Serenity (greatest recent sci-fi series. Period)
Heinlein
Asimov
Bradbury
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever
Neal Stephenson novels
Elfquest comics
X-Men (not so much sci-fi, but I've been reading them for 20 years)

Whew! That's probably good for now.... :smt024
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

i enjoy the movies and t.v. shows. i like all of the star wars movies, all of the star trek moveis and t.v. shows. i even like si-fi comedy movies such as spaceballs. speaking of star wars, heres a little trivia for you and anyone else who cares to answer this. what species is master yoda?
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Um, does Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, & Resurrection count? :book:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

jeff98208 wrote:what species is master yoda?
That's a trick questions! We're never told what he is! :smt024
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Seth T. wrote:
jeff98208 wrote:what species is master yoda?
That's a trick questions! We're never told what he is! :smt024
Unless you count "unknown tridactyl species". :smt024
Looks like in the fanfic they've made stabs at where he's from, but Lucas has kept that information to himself, officially.

And the Alien movies definitely count! :supz:
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

scottsax wrote:
And the Alien movies definitely count! :supz:
Awesome! I love those. I'm going through the Quadrilogy a second time; this time with the special editions. :rr:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'm a big sci-fi fan ... from the original Star Trek series right up till I turned my TV off about 10 years ago. Now I'm more into books.

Asimov is still a favorite of mine ... read the Foundation series decades ago, and enjoy a good reread from time to time. Authors I enjoy include Orson Scott Card, David Brin, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Jack Chalker, CJ Cherryh, Fred Saberhagen, and many others.

Much as I enjoy sci-fi, though, I'd have to admit I'm more into the fantasy side of that genre ... with authors such as McCaffrey, Eddings, Feist, Wurtz, Kennealy, McKiernan, Salvatore, and many others.

Tolkien is King, however. Nobody was happier than me when they finally made a movie that did justice to his master work. And nothing I've ever read has hooked me quite to the depth and degree as Lord of the Rings.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

At this point I should probably point out that I was 6 in 1977 when the first Star Wars movie came out, and it changed the course of my life. I wanted to be Han Solo (Luke was too much of a wuss, and Solo was a badass), I wanted the woman I ended up with to be like Leia (smart, independent, resourceful, smartass, beautiful), and I wanted to have adventures in exotic locations (space stations, etc...) I realize now that space stations probably aren't in my future, but I've had adventures in exotic locations on this planet, and let's face it, under the ocean is about as close as you can come to outer space.

Now if only I had a midichlorian count high enough to allow me to move things with my mind.... :rr:

Anybody ever play the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic video game? Awesome way to immerse yourself in the Star Wars universe. I also have the SW edition of Trivial Pursuit, and I remain the reigning champion. In fact, nobody wants to play with me anymore. #-o

Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Grateful Diver wrote: Tolkien is King, however.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Absolutely. I totally agree.

It's funny though. I've always thought of you as a sappy romance kind guy, Bob. :bootyshake:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Grateful Diver wrote:Tolkien is King, however. Nobody was happier than me when they finally made a movie that did justice to his master work. And nothing I've ever read has hooked me quite to the depth and degree as Lord of the Rings.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Was I the only one who was disappointed that Tom Bombadil didn't make the movie, and that the Scouring the Shire chapter of ROTK wasn't included as well? But you're right. I reread all 4 books prior to the first movie coming out, and it made waiting for the others painful. AND now I need to go to New Zealand to check out that amazing wilderness for myself.

I believe there's diving there, too....

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Sci-fi geeks unite!

Post by Joshua Smith »

scottsax wrote:

Star Trek (all except for Enterprise, hard to watch Scott Bakula in something besides Quantum Leap)
Firefly/Serenity (greatest recent sci-fi series. Period)
Heinlein
Asimov
Bradbury

Neal Stephenson novels
I whole heartedly agree with these choices- (I edited out the ones I don't like- told you I was picky, right?)

And I, too, would cast a vote for the "Aliens" series- with particular emphasis on "Aliens", the second one- best sci-fi movie, ever!

Which brings me around to something I think about way too much- "Aliens" is basically space-Marines vs. space aliens, right? And it kicked ass! How about Hollywood makes me a decent "Space Marines vs. Space Vampires" movie, instead of all the useless junk they churn out?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Does "Abyss" count? If so I'm in. Aliens was great. I haven't watched much StarTrek in some time, since it became more of a soap opra in space. SW 4-6 are some of the best movies ever made.

Jake
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: Sci-fi geeks unite!

Post by scottsax »

Nailer99 wrote:"Aliens" is basically space-Marines vs. space aliens, right? And it kicked ass! How about Hollywood makes me a decent "Space Marines vs. Space Vampires" movie, instead of all the useless junk they churn out?
Hmmm....I'm hoping the Halo movie (if and when it gets made) satisfies my need for Space Marines. Wasn't "Doom" essentially a Space Marines vs. Space Zombie/Monster sort of thing? And who could forget Starship Troopers?

I think the thing that made "Aliens" so good was the characters. The marines all had unique personalities, and Ripley and Burke were fully fleshed out. The problem with video game movies is character development, character development, character development! It's hard to find writers skilled enough to make action heroes you care about. Say what you will about James Cameron and his bloated epics, he knows how to write people you care about.

One other thing-here's a cool link for the diehard Firefly fan. I admit it, I'm a Browncoat.
Last edited by scottsax on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Nwbrewer wrote:Does "Abyss" count? If so I'm in. Aliens was great. I haven't watched much StarTrek in some time, since it became more of a soap opra in space. SW 4-6 are some of the best movies ever made.

Jake
OOOH!! The Abyss! OK-I'd totally breathe the liquid oxygen thing if it existed, just to see what it's like. Pretty much any movie underwater is all right by me. Especially if there's realistic diving scenes.

Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

scottsax wrote:
OK-I'd totally breathe the liquid oxygen thing if it existed,
It does actually. It's called LiquiVent (website) and it looks to have some serious promise for diving. Have a look at wikipedia's article (here). It has a section on the potential of using liquid breathing for diving. Amazing stuff. :book:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Seth T. wrote:It does actually.
That's the coolest frickin' thing EVER!

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

scottsax wrote: OOOH!! The Abyss! OK-I'd totally breathe the liquid oxygen thing if it existed, just to see what it's like. Pretty much any movie underwater is all right by me. Especially if there's realistic diving scenes.
The liquid oxygen thing does exist. It hasn't proven to be viable due to increased episodes of pneumonia among other things.

Authors (including but certainly not limited to):

Larry Niven (the Ringworld series, especially, although his short stories rock too).
Julian May
Robert Heinlen
Isaac Asimov
Arthur C. Clark
Orson Scott Card
Jack Finney
Edgar Rice Burroughs

The Thomas Covenant series....jeez. He whines the whole way through! I found it to be very irritating.

The new Battlestar Gallactica is one of the best shows on television. Other than that, I don't watch much tv. Firefely was pretty awesome, and I loved Serenity.

I also loved Star Wars epsides IV-VI, but Episodes I-III were a travesty.

And yes to everything on Tolkien. It also looks like Peter Jackson may have worked things out with the studios and may be back on as director for the Hobbit.

STNG was my favorite of all the Star Trek series.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

scottsax wrote:
Seth T. wrote:It does actually.
That's the coolest frickin' thing EVER!
Yes, but remember how he puked his guts out after switching to "air"? Yeah, not so fun. :vom:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Penopolypants wrote:Edgar Rice Burroughs
I read at least 10 of the Tarzan series when I was in elementary school. I'd like to see a movie that does justice to those books.
The Thomas Covenant series....jeez. He whines the whole way through! I found it to be very irritating.
Well, I was in middle school when I read those. My first foray into that kind of fantasy writing. It made an impression on me.
The new Battlestar Gallactica is one of the best shows on television.
Haven't watched much of that series yet, but liked what I saw. Was a huge fan of the Glen Larson series as a kid, and I think I've had a hard time accepting Starbuck as a woman. I mean, you KNOW Dirk Benedict's not doing anything now....
Firefely was pretty awesome
Yes. Yes it was. Makes me die a little inside when I think there won't be more episodes.
Episodes I-III were a travesty.
George Lucas is a creative genius, but perhaps a little out of touch with the rest of the world.

scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Seth T. wrote:Yes, but remember how he puked his guts out after switching to "air"? Yeah, not so fun. :vom:
To dive the Pacific Abyss without a submarine, though? Might be worth it to see places no human's ever been. :book:

Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

scottsax wrote:
Seth T. wrote:Yes, but remember how he puked his guts out after switching to "air"? Yeah, not so fun. :vom:
To dive the Pacific Abyss without a submarine, though? Might be worth it to see places no human's ever been. :book:
Very true! I could dig it! \:D/ :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver

Ratfish piss me off.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

scottsax wrote:
I read at least 10 of the Tarzan series when I was in elementary school. I'd like to see a movie that does justice to those books.
I never read the Tarzan series, I just liked the John Carter of Mars series. I've been told I should give them a whirl.

Greg Bear is another favorite author.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Saved by the Camel.
OOC, what Camel were you saved by?

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

scottsax wrote:
Saved by the Camel.
OOC, what Camel were you saved by?
Uncle Pug (Ron). His avatar has always been a camel. He was my dive buddy a few weeks ago on a fun dive after rescue class. We got down to the I Beams and my secondary reg had an uncontrollable freeflow. We tried to fix it, it wouldn't stop, so he shut my air down and we did a shared air ascent from 80 feet. It was fun!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Penopolypants wrote:my secondary reg had an uncontrollable freeflow. We tried to fix it, it wouldn't stop, so he shut my air down and we did a shared air ascent from 80 feet. It was fun!
Clearly you have an interesting definition of fun. :pale:

It would be exciting, though!