Honeymoon in Cozumel

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Honeymoon in Cozumel

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Diane and I are finally tying the knot in February after over 2 1/2 years of dating.

I want to go to Cozumel since it is one place I have never been. I am looking for any recommendations for places to stay. We are looking for a up scale place not to far from town. I plan on doing 4, 2 tank fast boat dives, one cenote dive and try to get to the ruins on the mainland another day.

So any idea's?
Charles
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Have never been to Cozumel, but congratulations on the wedding!! :partyman: :partyman:

:wav: :wav:
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

As I've mentioned in other threads, Scuba Club Cozumel is THE place to stay. (http://www.scubaclubcozumel.com) They were actually featured in the 2008 Sport Diver ultimate dive destinations and were the only Coz entry. Very impressive. :partyman:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We stayed at the Villa Aldora, and I really liked it. They have single rooms, but they also have small and large suites. It's an easy five minute walk into town, and a $5 cab ride if you take all your gear. Aldora runs small, fast boats, has steel 100s and 120s, and our DM, Mateo, was wonderful. He is also an instructor and full cave, and he took us on one of our days of cenote diving. He did a good job and I felt the tours were conducted safely. Aldora is a little more expensive than some of the other dive ops, but I'd recommend them without reservation. And the Villa is small, quiet, and very nice. The boats pick you up at the dock there, too.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Chuck - I too have heard wonderful things about Aldora from several folks. Their diving op sounds top-shelf, and for the same price as the others. I've also heard great things about their accomidations.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Thanks, keep the info coming. I had heard about Aldora divers yesterday and checked them out last night. Sounds interesting.

Up till now I have been checking into all inclusive. Does anyone know what a week of dining would cost in Cozumel? After my last trip to Grand Cayman, I am leaning to all inclusive. The food on Grand Cayman was just brutal. :angryfire: Almost $1000 a week for 2.
Charles
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

If you stay out of the larger restaurants on the main beach road, the food isn't quite reasonable. We found some smaller restaurants further back in the town where the food was absolutely superb, and not expensive at all.

I've only been to one all-inclusive, and that was the Wyndham in Playa del Carmen, and I will NEVER do it again. The food, although included, ranged between uninteresting and inedible. And you couldn't sit by the pool and read a book without some "hostess" trying to roust you to do salsa dancing or learn some silly game.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Well we finally made the decision on where to stay. We are staying at Casa del Mar. On site dive shop which has 80 and 100 cu ft tanks. I will post a dive report when we get back in February.
Charles
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Jenna and I had our 1 year anniversary yesterday. It only gets better and better. Congratulation's to you!