Stingray Kills Woman - Just Weird

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Stingray Kills Woman - Just Weird

Post by Tom Nic »

This is just weird, crazy one-in-a-million kind of thing.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/20/eagleray/index.html
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Stingray Kills Woman - Just Weird

Post by Sounder »

Crikey!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Celeus
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Celeus »

Apparently it was a Spotted Eagle Ray, not a stingray. Gotta love the media.
-- Celeus
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

It's a very strange incident, but basically it sounds like the woman hit her head following the impact of the ray... she could have just as easily hit her head due to a large wave or the boat swerving... I hope that's communicated and that the ray isn't made to be the bad guy.

Well, when it's your time to go, I guess the good Lord will take ya... with the odds of this happening, I'd say she had a higher calling.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Celeus wrote:Apparently it was a Spotted Eagle Ray, not a stingray. Gotta love the media.
I believe Eagle Rays DO have stingers... Manta Rays don't though. This was definitely an Eagle Ray but it doesn't appear to be anything beyond a head-on collision between the ray and the woman.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sounder wrote:Well, when it's your time to go, I guess the good Lord will take ya... with the odds of this happening, I'd say she had a higher calling.
No kidding! This would be stranger than driving down the freeway and getting hit by a random animal running out in front of you.
Celeus wrote:Apparently it was a Spotted Eagle Ray, not a stingray. Gotta love the media.
I beleive that a Spotted Eagle Ray is a type of stingray... could be wrong though
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

God wanted her, so He sent the message with a sting ray at 25 miles per hour. :smt051 Who says God doesn't have a sense of humor?!
Celeus
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Celeus »

Tom Nic wrote:
I beleive that a Spotted Eagle Ray is a type of stingray... could be wrong though
Spotted Eagle Rays and Stingrays are generally held to be in different families- Stingrays in Dasyatidae and Eagle rays in Myliobatidae, although most members of this family do have a poison-carrying spine- at least according to Wikipedia.

I noticed the web articles stopped calling it a stingray in fairly short order.

I really hope to not see or hear about dead eagle rays showing up....

My media hate remains intact!
-- Celeus
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Celeus wrote:I really hope to not see or hear about dead eagle rays showing up....

Agreed... and thanks for the Latin. My reference was to the fact that I had just read that Eaglerays do have "stingers".

Hopefully this will be seen simply for what it was, a freak accident and nothing more. It could just have easily been a tarpon or some other large critter jumping out of the blue and causing the same impact.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Tom Nic wrote:
Celeus wrote:I really hope to not see or hear about dead eagle rays showing up....

Agreed... and thanks for the Latin. My reference was to the fact that I had just read that Eaglerays do have "stingers".

Hopefully this will be seen simply for what it was, a freak accident and nothing more. It could just have easily been a tarpon or some other large critter jumping out of the blue and causing the same impact.
Agreed, and I stand informed. Truth is, boats are dynamic and anything can cause a fall... and any fall can result in a head injury. ](*,)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I think this is just one of those times when, if your number is up, it's up. Like the people last year who got hit with a boulder on I-90 going 70 miles an hour. The odds against either one are pretty astranomical. Just freaky....
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

It is not my intention to start a fight, [[ but ]] I see this misconception so often, I needed to say something...
Sounder wrote:Well, when it's your time to go, I guess the good Lord will take ya... with the odds of this happening, I'd say she had a higher calling.
Sounder wrote:God wanted her, so He sent the message with a sting ray at 25 miles per hour. :smt051 Who says God doesn't have a sense of humor?!
Nwbrewer wrote:I think this is just one of those times when, if your number is up, it's up. Like the people last year who got hit with a boulder on I-90 going 70 miles an hour. The odds against either one are pretty astranomical. Just freaky....
I am a Bible student, and, while I don't know everything, there are no indications that "God takes people". :dontknow: Instead, one verse says that "Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all", and many verses express God's love for people. If someone loves us, he doesn't take a wife and mother away from her family.

Again, my intention is not to start :violent3: , please don't take it that direction. Welcome to PM me.
Sounder wrote:Who says God doesn't have a sense of humor?!
Thus we flatulate...

S'Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I think Sounder's post was more "tongue in cheek" than serious.

Sometimes wierd things just happen.

Jake
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

Nwbrewer wrote:Sometimes weird things just happen.
So true! :smt119 Getting knocked over by a 80 lb "flying" fish is... pretty weird.

It's cool to think that there are a number of fish out there that are that big.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the big fish around here. I remember someone catching a big pinkish skate out at Westport off the jetty when I was a kid, was probably 30 lbs, maybe 3 feet across. I would love to run into that sort of thing - under water... - not in the face @ 25 mph though... :pale:
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Let's just shut this one down. If people want to PM and discuss these kind of things, feel free, but I don't think the public forum is the appropriate space.

I often speak tongue-in-cheek as Jake mentioned. If I offended anyone, I apologize.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Tom Nic wrote:

Hey now.... hate CNN if you want, not all media :)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Calvin wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:

\:D/ Nope. Definitely not ALL media! (and by the way, the media hate quote is Celeus', not mine, if you'll check, though can't say I really love our media!)

And BTW Smike, while I am also a Bible student, and find myself in sympathy with your remarks (and I know Doug well, trust me, it's not an issue) I don't typically comment on, much less discuss or correct theology or casual remarks (or even strong focused remarks) about God, etc on a forum such as this, though I'm more than happy to exercise my first amendment rights and discuss stuff in person or PM, and do so regularly!

Club dive tomorrow! \:D/
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Tom Nic wrote:
Calvin wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:

\:D/ Nope. Definitely not ALL media! (and by the way, the media hate quote is Celeus', not mine, if you'll check, though can't say I really love our media!)

And BTW Smike, while I am also a Bible student, and find myself in sympathy with your remarks (and I know Doug well, trust me, it's not an issue) I don't typically comment on, much less discuss or correct theology or casual remarks (or even strong focused remarks) about God, etc on a forum such as this, though I'm more than happy to exercise my first amendment rights and discuss stuff in person or PM, and do so regularly!

My degrees are in Bible (BA in New Testament, MA in Old Testament) and I can confirm that Smike's comments are correct. Where that whole idea came from, I have no idea, though a lot of people figure if they can't explain why something happened, it must be God's fault. I can't help but wonder if the Darwin awards were created in part to counter that mentality... (not that this incident is a Darwin award one, of course)
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

dwashbur wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:
Calvin wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:

My degrees are in Bible (BA in New Testament, MA in Old Testament) and I can confirm that Smike's comments are correct. Where that whole idea came from, I have no idea, though a lot of people figure if they can't explain why something happened, it must be God's fault. I can't help but wonder if the Darwin awards were created in part to counter that mentality... (not that this incident is a Darwin award one, of course)
I don't think the Darwin awards were created to counter this mentality... they were created to "honor" those who have made stupid decisions which ended their lives. For example... if someone went to South Africa to see breaching white sharks, and paddled out on a surf board to get a closer look, and became a meal... they'd be a strong candidate for the award. Nobody would blame God for taking him away.

This incident most certainly isn't a Darwin award candidate. She wasn't doing anything crazy or stupid to put herself at risk so this will most definitely not count.

If I remember correctly, the last recipient of the Darwin award was robbing a woman at gun-point and when he attempted to fire the weapon, it failed. Confused, he looked down the barrel to determine what the problem was and tried the trigger again... this time, it worked. Congrats buddy! You win! :hello2:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:If I remember correctly, the last recipient of the Darwin award was robbing a woman at gun-point and when he attempted to fire the weapon, it failed. Confused, he looked down the barrel to determine what the problem was and tried the trigger again... this time, it worked. Congrats buddy! You win! :hello2:
There was an Honorable Mention a few years back about a guy that removed himself from the gene pool when, after robbing a convenience store, he ran out the door, stuffing the gun in his waistband and it discharged, removing his...mating equipment.

...here's your sign...

:laughing3:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
kwbyron
Aquaphile

Post by kwbyron »

Not to take this thread off topic, but they ran us through training on this down here. My new job requires me to camp a few nights half-way down Padre Island (near where this happened) and due to the high numbers of sting-rays, or sting-ray like organisms, we are encouraged to do the "sting-ray shuffle". This involves shuffling your feet through the sand to avoid stepping on one and getting hit, which I have been told is like being stabbed with a pencil...and then they inject poison.

It's amazing how you only remember the good things about places you miss...I forgot about things like: stingrays, bull sharks, electric eels, man-of-wars, rattle snakes, scorpions, killer bees, and fire ants. :pale:
-Kevin
I feel like a fish out of the water when I'm not diving.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

kwbyron wrote:Not to take this thread off topic, but they ran us through training on this down here. My new job requires me to camp a few nights half-way down Padre Island (near where this happened) and due to the high numbers of sting-rays, or sting-ray like organisms, we are encouraged to do the "sting-ray shuffle". This involves shuffling your feet through the sand to avoid stepping on one and getting hit, which I have been told is like being stabbed with a pencil...and then they inject poison.

It's amazing how you only remember the good things about places you miss...I forgot about things like: stingrays, bull sharks, electric eels, man-of-wars, rattle snakes, scorpions, killer bees, and fire ants. :pale:
Sounds like paradise! :pale:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I grew up in San Diego and spent way too much time at La Jolla and not enough time in class when the surf was good. I remember walking out into the water one morning and feeling a stabbing pain in my foot. I was used to stepping on sand sharks, but theat was my first sting ray. I walked to the life guard station, lifted up my foot to show the life guard and promptly passed out. :pale:
Not a great experience but it was a fun story to tell when I finally made it back to school.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY