PLEASE READ: Pacific Northwest Dive Expo - May 3 and 4

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

PLEASE READ: Pacific Northwest Dive Expo - May 3 and 4

Post by John Rawlings »

I keep running into divers that haven't heard that the first Pacific Northwest Dive Expo will be held on Saturday and Sunday, May 3rd and 4th, at the Tacoma Convention Center. I wanted to make certain that all NWDC members were aware of it, because it looks like it's going to be good! I'd like to see this first one succeed and grow each year!

Here's a link to all the information: http://www.nwdiveandtravelexpo.com/content/view/1/69/

There are tab links to directions, schedules, exhibitors listings, etc.

If you take a look at the list of exhibitors you will see dive shops, charter operators and gear manufacturers from all over the Pacific Northwest and elsewhere. It would be a GREAT time to meet the people that can set up dives all over the PNW.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of you there!

John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: PLEASE READ: Pacific Northwest Dive Expo - May 3 and 4

Post by John Rawlings »

Bump \:D/
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

We'll be there!

As well as some awesome Vendors and Dive outfits. \:D/

The party Sat night should be a blast :occasion5:
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Cool, Matt! It'll be GREAT to see you there with the NWSD gang!

Hey, everyone! Here's a link to a $2.00 off coupon for admission from the Washington Scuba Alliance that I just received by e-mail:

http://www.wascuba.org/data/PPS2Dollars ... veExpo.pdf

Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

There are also 50% off coupons at Borders (in the Tukwila store they were located on a small table near the bathrooms upstairs, so you may have to look for them).

And, oh yeah, I'll be there too!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I'll be there as well.

I also keep running into more and more divers who don't have a clue about this, and I think it's a shame.

Tell your friends!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

It is a shame. I discussed this with the producer of the show and he is convinced that just putting the advertising into his own magazine is going to fill the place. I am on the mailing lists of at least a dozen different dive shops in Washington and have only gotten one that has mentioned it. Plus, with no advertising anywhere "generic", this isn't going to do anything to promote diving. I think Wally (Tacoma Scuba) is doing more than all the rest of the shop owners (or the show producer for that matter) by being at the Spring Fair and passing out the fliers.

I sure hope this works.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

rcontrera wrote:It is a shame. I discussed this with the producer of the show and he is convinced that just putting the advertising into his own magazine is going to fill the place. I am on the mailing lists of at least a dozen different dive shops in Washington and have only gotten one that has mentioned it. Plus, with no advertising anywhere "generic", this isn't going to do anything to promote diving. I think Wally (Tacoma Scuba) is doing more than all the rest of the shop owners (or the show producer for that matter) by being at the Spring Fair and passing out the fliers.

I sure hope this works.
Yeah....I'd love for the PNW to have its own regional show each year like California, Florida, and the NE.

- John

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

There are some people coming to this that I'd really like to meet, and it's something I would dearly love to support, but I'm going to be in Mexico that weekend. Somebody else needs to go in my place . . . :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John Rawlings wrote:Yeah....I'd love for the PNW to have its own regional show each year like California, Florida, and the NE.

- John
And ABSOLUTELY no reason why we shouldn't!

Just my casual acquaintance with the dive community here in the PNW since my certification not quite 3 years ago convinces me that there would be PLENTY of interest... as long as shops and divers put aside their differences and concentrate on scuba. Hopefully NWDC can be some help in that regard. Since you mentioned Wall at Tacoma Scuba, Amy at A2Z is promoting this as well. Hopefully other shops will as well.
rcontrera wrote:It is a shame. I discussed this with the producer of the show and he is convinced that just putting the advertising into his own magazine is going to fill the place. I am on the mailing lists of at least a dozen different dive shops in Washington and have only gotten one that has mentioned it.

I sure hope this works.
You'd be surprised how many people LOOK at a dive magazine and don't actually READ the ads...

Talk to the Dive Shops that you frequent and help get the word out everyone!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I hope to see EVERYONE at the show! All the dive centers are giving out 50% off coupons! I have a stack in my store...just stop by and pick one up. Our booth is 20/21 and we will be there having a great time all weekend.

This is going to be a great show and for the 1st year...130 booths!!! There are going to be so many great products and people at the show. There are seminars going on both days and the party Saturday night is going to be a lot of fun. You will run into people you know and you may make some new friends too. New friends=new dive buddies :supz:

There is also going to be a pool so you can demo product and BRING YOUR NON DIVING FRIENDS to try SCUBA for FREE! It is going to be a very festive weekend and for $5 a day...that is a pretty good deal.

Don't forget about the treasure hunt! There are even more prizes this year! Rick said only 25 people have signed up so far and more than 100 prizes to give away. You can sign up on the Dive Expo website.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

Boy ... I just re-read my post above and I think I didn't make myself clear and may have stepped on some toes. If I did, that was not my intent.

I did not mean to imply that no dive shops were promoting the event. Every shop that got the fliers are giving them out. As I said, I did get one in the mail from one of the dozens of shops that I am signed up for newsletters.

But this show is supposed to bring in NEW divers. It is the new diver that drives the industry and helps keep the doors open for the dive shops. As an industry, we are pretty good at advertising to our existing base but seem to have lost our focus on the "newbies". Without advertising to the "generic" mediums (radio, newspapers, TV, etc.), all our advertising push is aimed at people that are already interested in diving (people that already go to dive shops). The Puyallup Spring Fair booth is just the only non-diving venue that I have seen any advertising for the show. I am just afraid that this is going to be one of the best kept secrets from the non-diving community.

THAT was what I so clumsily tried to say the first time.
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

The fact that the dive show and the Treasure hunt is on the same day has got to hamper his participation.. Hum, why did they decided to do that?
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Sea.Explorer
Just Settling In

Post by Sea.Explorer »

In my opinion it is too bad that there is not more advertising for this show. Advertising in a local SCUBA publication is a bit like preaching to the choir if you ask me. I don't want to take away from the work of the organizers here but it seems that a big part of events like this that I have been to is that it raises awareness for non divers and helps promote the dive industry and local businesses. I know that some of the more successful dive shows like Our World Underwater in Chicago do large scale advertising including newspaper adds, billboards etc. This is the first year so I suspect there will be a learning curve. There are a lot of examples of similar shows around the country to learn from though.

I had a small booth at the Point Defiance Zoo yesterday and handed out information about the show and my exhibit. I will have my diving equipment museum set up at the show. I will have lots of early SCUBA equipment, double hose regs, and my collection of original Cousteau Equipment on display along with many many photos, posters, books etc. Stop by pick up a red hat and introduce yourself. I guarantee I will have at least at least a few items you have never seen before. I would love to meet you and give yo the nickel tour. See you at the show. Image

Ryan Spence
Flashback Scuba
Last edited by Sea.Explorer on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

Cera wrote:The fact that the dive show and the Treasure hunt is on the same day has got to hamper his participation.. Hum, why did they decided to do that?
I asked the same question to the producer and got mumbles, a lot of "uh"s and basically a statement saying just because!

I am sure that it has something to do with the organizer trying to appease everyone but I think poor planning is the best reason.

Ryan ... thanks for advertising outside of the industry. We need all we can get!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I cannot speak for Rick on the way the show is advertised and promoted. I do know he has single handled put together this show. Remember, this is a first-year show and he has no idea how it is going to be received. How this show will grow is based on how many people show up and the return on investment for the advertisers and exhibitors. Please, come, support the show and have some fun.

In the next 2 weeks you should see ads in the local newspapers, and on Kiro and Komo. I also encourage everyone to bring a non-diving friend or family member to the show and let them try scuba in the pool.

If you are interested, Rick needs volunteers to help at the show. You can contact him at rick@nwdivenews.com.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I had the impression that the Expo was an outgrowth of the Treasure Hunt ... which is why the two events are happening at the same time.

I do plan to be at the Expo on Saturday ... wouldn't miss it, I hope it's successful enough to become an annual event. Certainly there's enough scuba activity in the PNW to justify an event like this here ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

I know everyone is promoting the Dive expo, and it will be GREAT!!! Thanks for the good word Ray.
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

Shearwater and Silent Scuba are going to have a booth and we will have with us the Pursuit technical dive computer, a Megladon, rEvo and Optima rebreathers on display. We will also be giving a talk at one of the seminars.

We will also be signing up people for the "Rebreather Experience" that we will be having on Sunday June 29th

Stop by and say hello.

Curt McNamee
Silent Scuba, LLC
Shearwater Research, Inc
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Pinkpadigal wrote: Don't forget about the treasure hunt! There are even more prizes this year! Rick said only 25 people have signed up so far and more than 100 prizes to give away. You can sign up on the Dive Expo website.

Do you know if more divers have signed up by now? I'm vacillating on whether to do the dive or not. Don't really want to go if it's going to be the mad, free for all that has been described before but of course, ALWAYS want to dive. And diving for prizes sounds like fun. Just can't decide...
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
submarine
Avid Diver

Post by submarine »

Where is everyone from NWDC meeting on Saturday (May 3rd) night for coctails? :partyman: :occasion5: :smt064
Matt & Stacy

Do We Dive?... Of Course!
Life Is An Adventure...
It is not the destination that is the most rewarding,
It is the journey along the way!

http://i-rv.net/gallery/main.php
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Highway 99 Blues Club, where my band is playing!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Has this been mentioned on Scuba Radio? I try to listen but lately haven't had the chance to even hear the recorded shows. They even do shows from various events and maybe they could help promote for next year.

I wasn't able to go last year but I'm planning on this year though.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I had not been paying much attention to this show until today, but I finally went and looked at the website- Holy Cow! There's gonna be a ton of cool stuff at this! Lectures on Sixgills, Great Whites, Rebreathers, Pesentations by NWDC Members NWScubamon and Zendiver and I forget what-all else......I'm going to be there all day on Saturday, for sure! Maybe Sunday, too!

http://www.nwdiveandtravelexpo.com/content/view/1/69/
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Hope to see many of you around the Whidbey Island Dive Center booth ! Friday and Saturday..
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown