PLEASE READ: Pacific Northwest Dive Expo - May 3 and 4

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Re: PLEASE READ: Pacific Northwest Dive Expo - May 3 and 4

Post by BUZO71 »

So, who's diving on Saturday at the Treasure hunt? I'm in real need of a buddy.... (do I sound too desperate???)
Fortes fortuna iuvat
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

BUZO71 wrote:So, who's diving on Saturday at the Treasure hunt? I'm in real need of a buddy.... (do I sound too desperate???)
Don't worry...if you show up without a buddy, they will find you one.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I checked out the website, but maybe I missed it. What time do the doors open for the convention center?

Also is it worth the mess of diving the treasure hunt?
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Exhibition Hall - Tacoma Convention Center 10am-6pm. There are two or three rooms of workshops/seminars during those hours.

I have never been and am wondering the same thing about the dive. However, my buddy and I are going to brave it. For those of you who have dove Owen Beach before...
WHAT is the site like??? Am I going to be at a major disadvantage (to finding golf balls) having not dove there before, and making my first dive in 3-5 feet of vis?
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Can we still sign up tomorrow morning?
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Believe so. Site says pre-registration for the Treasure Hunt is closed, but open from 8:30 to 10:00am at Owen Beach. Dive starts at 10:30 sharp.

http://www.nwdiveandtravelexpo.com/content/view/32/72/
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

WHAT is the site like??? Am I going to be at a major disadvantage (to finding golf balls) having not dove there before, and making my first dive in 3-5 feet of vis?

There is a fairly large exchange tommorrow, with slack water at about 11 AM, so expect quite a bit of current, especially in the shallower areas of Owen Beach. The site has a shallow, gravel sloping bottom out to about 15' deep and then slopes more steeply to about 110'. The golf balls will be pretty shallow and easy to find.

In the area where the "hunt" is, you'll see mostly sea stars, crabs and other divers. The viz will start out OK, but with that many divers, it will deteriorate rapidly. You can't get lost, just head up slope (South) to get back to the beach.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Anyone win anything last year? Is it worth it?

Thanks for all the info!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

mancub wrote:
I have never been and am wondering the same thing about the dive. However, my buddy and I are going to brave it. For those of you who have dove Owen Beach before...
The site has a gradually sloping bottom that is exactly like the beach. You can get as deep as you want, but the Treasure Hunt stuff is usually 40 fsw and above. Current sensitive (I haven't checked 'em for tomorrow), no structure to speak of shallow. If you like seastars tho, you'll see about 10 different species, as well as gunnels, poachers, possibly some small octos, crabs of various species etc.

-Valerie
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

Hi all -

I just returned from helping with set up for some buddies at the dive expo. This is truly an amazing event for us to host in our area - please try to make it to Tacoma Convention Center this weekend to show the folks that diving our waters is what we love to do!

(And if you make it there Saturday afternoon after the treasure hunt at Owen Beach, stop by the DUI booth and say hi!)

Jackieg
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Yes I just was down there and I am really excited and hope this to be a long term show. One seminar not to miss is Berkley the owner of Backscatter is and excellent Photographer Instructor and I know we have some amazing shooters on this board, but it is always good to gather as much valuable information as possible.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i'm bummed i can't make it to the expo. i hope all of you have a great time, learn new things, and win some awesome prizes. somebody bring me back a t-shirt or sticker...
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

jackieg wrote:Hi all -

I just returned from helping with set up for some buddies at the dive expo. This is truly an amazing event for us to host in our area - please try to make it to Tacoma Convention Center this weekend to show the folks that diving our waters is what we love to do!
And don't forget to bring your non-diving friends since this is supposed to help the diving industry grow!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Well I have to say I was pretty impressed. Cheng and I went over this morning pretty soon after the doors opened. I had told her we'd probably spend a couple hours looking around, say hello to a few friends, and head out.

I think we left around 5 PM ... couldn't believe how many familiar faces I saw there, old friends I hadn't seen in a while, and lots ... I mean LOTS ... of people I've only known thru the Internet, and finally got to meet in person.

If today was any indication, this show is a raging success, and hopefully something that the area will see every year. What a FANTASTIC way to bring the diving community together.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Grateful Diver wrote:Well I have to say I was pretty impressed. Cheng and I went over this morning pretty soon after the doors opened. I had told her we'd probably spend a couple hours looking around, say hello to a few friends, and head out.

I think we left around 5 PM ... couldn't believe how many familiar faces I saw there, old friends I hadn't seen in a while, and lots ... I mean LOTS ... of people I've only known thru the Internet, and finally got to meet in person.

If today was any indication, this show is a raging success, and hopefully something that the area will see every year. What a FANTASTIC way to bring the diving community together.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I was amazed at the turn out at the show. I don't know what was expected, but it certainly way more than I expected. We ended up staying much longer than we had planned as well.

Puget Sound has such an amazing dive community and it was awesome to see so many people.

Oh, and congratulations to Chris for finding the treasure chest!
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I thought it was great! I tried on a weezle, and will be getting one soon. Cotton long underwear doesn't work very well.

One thing I wish was different, there were not a lot of advertized deals on gear. If you really talked to some of the guys they went mention a discount but nothing that stood out, saying "buy me today"

Maybe that was not the point of the show but I probably would have bought something if it was.

Overall, FANTASTIC!!! :smt038
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Chris? Chris who won the Treasue chest????
I can't wait till Tim and I go tomorrow to see everyone!!!
I hope that next year I can volunteer and help ou
"Let's go diving!"
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Got home not too long ago and was WAYYYYY impressed with the show!

I was not expecting it to be nearly as large (square footage wise OR visitor wise) as it was and surely hope this is going to be a regular event in the years to come. Way to go Rick and staff! I can't even imagine the work and manpower that went into putting that show together. WOW!

It knocked my crocs off! :D

It was a blast seeing and meeting so many people I've interacted with over the years, and I got to meet Penopolypants and Pez among others...

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Scubak wrote:Chris? Chris who won the Treasue chest????
The message I got from Chris said "Penelope and I found the treasure chest." So, congratulations to both!
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Scubak wrote:Chris? Chris who won the Treasue chest????
our very own Pez!! :partyman:

airsix wrote:The message I got from Chris said "Penelope and I found the treasure chest." So, congratulations to both!
-Ben
i got the same text message. i'm dying to know the prize was! the suspense is killing me. :smt119

good job you guys! :supz:
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I went for the first time with Shehan and it was great. I'll be going in the future and nest year I'll be diving the treasure hunt.

One thing I'd change is to advertise the pre-registration for the hunt. I was going to dive it this year but didn't know you had to pre-register.

This will be an annual trek for me.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

The show is going so great!!! It was so good to see and meet people yesterday. There are more cool seminars today and if you need another coupon, I got a bunch at the shop still.

The reason you didn't see a lot of advertised specials on gear at the show is that vendors were told they could not sell equipment at the show. However, if you see something, and curious about a price, just ask. Most of the LDS are running specials on equipment. We have a huge sale on Sherwood/Genesis/Akona and Whites Drysuits. I know some of the other LDS on the floor are also offering other discount pricing. Seasoft is also selling equipment pretty cheap at their booth.

Some of the cool stuff to check out...

Bubbles Below has a very cool coffee table made out of scuba tanks.
A display of vintage gear
Lighthouse is running episodes of Seahunt on their flatscreen TV
The new liveaboard in the Bay Islands (aquarian adventurers)
Roeguest has orginial paintings and he is doing all kinds of demos with kids.
Hydris has their shark "cage" on display
Seattle Aquarium has great video of Six Gill Sharks
The demo pool is now warm!
Whites Drysuits and DUI are fitting people at the show.
Tacoma Scuba has a very cool painting displayed in his booth
...and so much more!

If I didn't see you yesterday, stop by the "grass hut" today and say hello! :occasion5:

The show is open 10am-5pm today.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I'm going back today. If you still haven't gone, you're going to be sorry that you missed it. This show has a distinct PNW "flavor" to it that I particularly enjoy! it's a great chance to speak with dive charter operators from all over the PNW to see what they offer.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

My wife and I got there about 10:30am and ended up staying until 5pm. So many people to see and talk to. Catching up with friends and meeting divers who I've only known online. I have to say, not one person was how I pictured them in my head from reading posts online. Very interesting.
We had to leave after having dinner with my wife's cousin (he's the new president of Nite Rider) so didn't get to stay for Happy Hour or the dance. Hope everyone had fun.
Congrats to Pez and Penopolypants for winning the big prize and it was nice to meet you.
Thanks to all the organizers, volunteers, vendors, speakers, and attendees for making this a big success. Can't wait for next year!
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Congrats to Pez & Penelopy!!! :supz:
Tim and I are headed over there shortly....
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"