PLEASE READ: Pacific Northwest Dive Expo - May 3 and 4

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Re: PLEASE READ: Pacific Northwest Dive Expo - May 3 and 4

Post by nwscubamom »

You know what I found interesting?

There were quite a few booths promoting tropical locations, but from what I saw, for the most part, they were usually empty. The poor person manning the booth was just sitting there twiddling his thumbs while divers clustered around local dive shop booths, drysuit booths, and other gear booths in massive herds.

I found it amusing!! :)

What does that say about us cold water divers?

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

What a show! And what a day it was yesterday!

Yes, Pez found the chest! It was fully buried in the sand with a circle drawn around it. I swam right past it, but he was looking around for me and noticed something funny about that particular lump in the ground and went back to investigate. With obviously awesome results. :supz:

When the prizes were awarded at the end of the day, he got $1000! Given to him in $1 Sacajaweas...a true treasure chest full of coins. :)

That wasn't all, though....the golf ball that he found also won him a vacation package (food, lodging, and of course DIVING!) with Abyssal up in Campbell River! :bounce: \:D/

I won a snorkel. :-({|= Not that I'm bitter or anything. :crybaby:

I'll second what everyone said before, it is absolutely worth it to go. There are some great seminars today as well, and you can check out a really large selection of gear. I got to try on a Fusion with the tech skin (very nice) and found out that USIA has been making their own version of the Fusion for the military for years and UWS will be stocking a version for the general public very soon. Our own Hideawayjohn has a booth up about his Browning Pass Hideway, and he was a total hoot to hang out with at happy hour (I learned a lot about currents). There are other vacation options too, from local charters to resorts in BC and resorts in remote locations. And, of course, gear and more gear.

I was pretty pooped by the time I got home near midnight, but it was so worth it.

Oh, and it was awesome to finally put some faces to some user names as well! It was hard to go more than a few booths without running into somebody I knew personally or through the board.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Post by BbbleMkr »

Yay! Good deal and congrats! I'm envious and wish I could have been there. Were any pictures taken?

dd
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

BbbleMkr wrote:Yay! Good deal and congrats! I'm envious and wish I could have been there. Were any pictures taken?

dd
Zen Diver 2 had her camera at the ready during the treasure hunt, hopefully she'll post some pics. Hopefully all of them were snot free. :)
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

My wife and I had a great time at the show. The turnout seemed to be great and hopefully next year will be even better. For a first year show, I think it got off to a great start.
Attachments
IMG_0044_1.JPG
Life is good, let's dive!!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Geez Pez! How many people did you send that text message to?! I was walking along Pacific Beach when I got the message. Mrs. Sounder and I look forward to pushing Baby Sounder around next year's expo. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

sounder wrote:Geez Pez! How many people did you send that text message to?!
A few. :evil4:
Penopolypants wrote:I won a snorkel. :-({|= Not that I'm bitter or anything. :crybaby:
How many times did I offer to split the loot? :dontknow: At any rate, Penelope will have to accept the other spot on the Campbell river trip valued at $525.00 So, we will be planning a Dive trip to Campbell river with Abyssal dive charters if anyone is interested in joining us. Perhaps we could make it a "Club" event? Check out their web site:

http://www.abyssal.com/
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Well, I, for one, was blown away and thrilled to see so many familiar faces and put faces to a few names I only knew of before. I love having these rare chances to meet up with everyone from the local dive scene, all under one roof; I connected with some I've not seen in years. It was terrific to meet up with Scott and Jude (Tahtsa Charters) again on Saturday, and of course John DeBoeck (Hideaway John) was his usual rascally self excitedly running around. Dive Around the Clock made a lot of really great connections (it's going to be VERY exciting this years!) as well. I brought in some books today for Andy Lamb and Dave Behrens to sign :supz: and spent some time talking with Rogest as he signed two prints I bought. What interesting and down-to-earth folks.

I feel so lucky to have had such a phenomenal time this weekend! Everyone who also feels the same, please take the time to send Rick Stratton an email to let him know; I know the buzz was good, but it's nice to get something tangible too.

Here's a few pix:
Pez, before... (where are you P-Pants?)

Pez and Penopoly Pants, after...

Jude, me and Scott (Tahtsa Dive Charters)

Scott, Bob and Cheng

Georgia (Wylerbear), Jan and myself

Georgia and Janna

Georgia, her wife Carrie, and Amy (PinkPadiGal)

Stillhope Productions Team

Saturday's NW Dive Club representation: Tom Nic, John Rawlings, John DeBoeck (Hideaway John), Maverick, Cuppie, Pez (with winnings) and P-Pants
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

=D> =D> =D>

thanks for the pics, val! i almost feel like i was there... almost... :crybaby:

congrats again, chris!
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Chris, What new dive gear are you going to buy???
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

NWDC was WELL represented....in addition to those of us that Valerie shows in her photos I know that Nailer99, Jackieg, Mattwave, Romer Treece, Bdub, CoachRenz, Curt McNamee, Scubagrunt, and Ken G made it to the show on Saturday, Sunday or both. I'm sure that there were a lot of others that I didn't run into personally....who else was there?

By the way, the vintage scuba equipment display was both large and amazing! The only problem was that I actually remember using some of it! :pale:

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

My buddy and I were there late Saturday morning, and it was fun. Definitely a solid turnout. We enjoyed ourselves, talked to all sorts of people and after getting the run down on certain gear (ie...x-scooters) can't wait to get out of school and start bringing in the scuba units.

happy diving everyone, the northwest is truly a wonderful place to be diving these days.

-Jacob
BUZO71
Aquaphile

Post by BUZO71 »

Done that! great time :supz: ..... The dive was great and so was the Expo =D> ... in fact, I'm considering bypassing the trip in June to the Long Beach Dive Expo.... I picked up a great little toy.... Sensus Ultra Dive logger \:D/ .... Anyone have one? Can't wait to try it out..... OHHHHHHHH, Val wanted to make sure I told you all to SIGN UP for the Dive around the Clock in July :smt064 - I did :salute:
Fortes fortuna iuvat
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Val,
Thanks for posting the great pics. It was good to see you again...today at the dive show. Tim and I had a great time visiting with everyone and meeting some new people.
I am amazed how great a show it turned out to be and I hear it will be bigger next year.
I will definately send an email to Rick and the great group of people that made this possible.
Again, thanks to everyone!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

=D>
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

John Rawlings wrote:By the way, the vintage scuba equipment display was both large and amazing! The only problem was that I actually remember using some of it! :pale:

- John
I'm not even a little surprised by that. :smt064 Of course, at your age, you've started to "remember" stuff that never actually happened, too.........

What a great show this was! It was really cool- made me feel like me and my friends were part of something big. There's a lot of us PNW divers, we're a big market, and a tight community as well. I was there before the show opened on Saturday, and we left Tacoma around 8:30 after drinks at the Best Western, so we were there for about 12 hours; and all day long, I was meeting new people, people I knew from this site but hadn't met in person before, and talking with lots and lots of friends I knew from diving here over the last couple years. It was a blast! I hope all the vendors get lots of new business from the show, and I'm already looking forward to next year! Thanks to everyone who was there, and if you're reading this, but didn't go: You missed a great time, you have to go next year!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Penopolypants wrote:That wasn't all, though....the golf ball that he found also won him a vacation package (food, lodging, and of course DIVING!) with Abyssal up in Campbell River! :bounce: \:D/

There's a guy over on ScubaBoard complaining that the prizes were awarded according to the alphabetical order or your first name ... so that those with names that ended in the first few letters of the alphabet got all the good prizes and those at the end of the alphabet all got snorkels ...

... I think he said his name was Zeus or something like that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:That wasn't all, though....the golf ball that he found also won him a vacation package (food, lodging, and of course DIVING!) with Abyssal up in Campbell River! :bounce: \:D/

There's a guy over on ScubaBoard complaining that the prizes were awarded according to the alphabetical order or your first name ... so that those with names that ended in the first few letters of the alphabet got all the good prizes and those at the end of the alphabet all got snorkels ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
That doesn't make any sense, since Pez's last name starts with a P. His prize was pretty awesome.

I'm actually not bitter at all....a few years ago my sister won a trip to Papua New Guinea after I convinced her to buy a specific brand of regulator. She took me with her. Pez offered the other half of his trip to BC to me. So while my personal luck may not be the greatest I seem to be doing okay as a good luck charm for others, and I'm totally okay sharing in the spoils when it comes to travel. \:D/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:So while my personal luck may not be the greatest I seem to be doing okay as a good luck charm for others...
we're buying a lottery ticket when i come up there next weekend... and i'll take you on a dive trip if i win big...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Penopolypants wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
That doesn't make any sense, since Pez's last name starts with a P. His prize was pretty awesome.

I'm actually not bitter at all....a few years ago my sister won a trip to Papua New Guinea after I convinced her to buy a specific brand of regulator. She took me with her. Pez offered the other half of his trip to BC to me. So while my personal luck may not be the greatest I seem to be doing okay as a good luck charm for others, and I'm totally okay sharing in the spoils when it comes to travel. \:D/
You should take your shiny new snorkel with you and share it with him while you're there.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Penopolypants wrote:That doesn't make any sense, since Pez's last name starts with a P. His prize was pretty awesome.
The scubaboard accusation was that the names were sorted by first name, and top prizes given in ascending alphabetical order.
A= good prize
B= good prize
C= Chris = trip to B.C.
DEFGHIJKLMNO....
P = snorkel (sorry)
:dontknow:
Maybe I'll go next year and sign up as Aaron A. Abernathy. :evil4: That should cover sorting by first, last or middle. Anyway, I'm just joking around - I wasn't there, I wasn't an organizer, and have no idea about any of what went on.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

Congradulations Chris,

And to think I decided to help with a class rather than dive with you at the treasure hunt. I will put in my request now. So Chris next year at the treasure how about you and I team up. Hope you get something really cool with your winnings.

Greg

:supz: :supz: =D> =D>
Got Water?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

spatman wrote:we're buying a lottery ticket when i come up there next weekend... and i'll take you on a dive trip if i win big...
Sweet! :bounce:

Sounder wrote: You should take your shiny new snorkel with you and share it with him while you're there.

Whee! We could practice buddy breathing with a snorkel!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Penopolypants wrote:That doesn't make any sense, since Pez's last name starts with a P. His prize was pretty awesome.
#-o Hi, my name is stupid. I totally missed your joke. I'm going to blame it on Monday.
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

airsix wrote:
#-o Hi, my name is stupid. I totally missed your joke. I'm going to blame it on Monday.
-Ben
Don't feel bad Ben, I missed it too! :laughing3: