What does your username represent?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Dragonbubbles
Just Settling In

Re: What does your username represent?

Post by Dragonbubbles »

Dragon bubbles, My husband would say it is because I suck my tank down so fast. So I put out big bubbles. Or that I flit around looking at everything while I dive like a dragon on wing. My son would say it because of my dragon tatoos. But truth be told I love dragons and my favorite Picture is of a dragon in a bubble which in a round about way remimnds me of a fish and diving. Don't ask, it's too round about for anyone's but my twisted mind to comprehend. HEHEHEHE
I dont mind the RAIN!! I'm going to get wet anyway.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

I certified (some say I was already certifiable) in the water of Valdez, AK Thanksgiving weekend in overcast with snowshowers, wind and +27F air temp. Oh yes, in a wetsuit. I stood on the shore and said to myself: "What in the hell am I, or any sane person doing here?" After my first dive I was definitely hooked.

At first I tried some other names but ended up with this one. The older I get though; the wussier I get. I may have to change to Tropical Diver.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

dragonbubbles wrote: Don't ask, it's too round about for anyone's but my twisted mind to comprehend. HEHEHEHE
arcticdiver wrote: (some say I was already certifiable)
Yep, you two fit in with this crowd perfectly! :laughing3:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Pez7378 wrote:
dragonbubbles wrote: Don't ask, it's too round about for anyone's but my twisted mind to comprehend. HEHEHEHE
arcticdiver wrote: (some say I was already certifiable)
Yep, you two fit in with this crowd perfectly! :laughing3:
I agree. My most recent Puget Sound dive was with PEZ and as we were gearing up in a light snow I heard several people walking by mumble the word "crazy"... and I felt proud. \:D/ I say embrace it. They're the crazy ones. 80% of all life is in the ocean and they're just walking down the sidewalk ignoring a treasure that's right under their noses.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

airsix wrote:I agree. My most recent Puget Sound dive was with PEZ and as we were gearing up in a light snow I heard several people walking by mumble the word "crazy"... and I felt proud. \:D/ I say embrace it. They're the crazy ones. 80% of all life is in the ocean and they're just walking down the sidewalk ignoring a treasure that's right under their noses.

-Ben
sorry to hijack the thread, but...

last december, i was leaving portland to meet penopolypants at Redondo. at 5:30 in the morning i head out, already dressed in my exotherm (hey why not?). i stop at the local starbuck's to grab some java and the cashier says, "so you heading up to the mountains today, eh?"
"nope, heading up to puget sound to go diving"
(long pause, confused look on his face) "diving? what kind of diving?"
"scuba."
(looks outside at the light snow flurries) "well, cool."
i go over to the side to add cream to my coffee and overhear him say to the other workers:
"yo, that crazy m*#%•rf*#%•r is going SCUBA DIVING!"

i had a huge smile on my face for most of the ride up to redondo.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

spatman wrote:last december, i was leaving portland to meet penopolypants at Redondo. at 5:30 in the morning i head out, already dressed in my exotherm (hey why not?). i stop at the local starbuck's to grab some java and the cashier says, "so you heading up to the mountains today, eh?"
"scuba."
i go over to the side to add cream to my coffee and overhear him say to the other workers:

:supz:
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

nwscubamom wrote:
So why are you Zen Diver 2 instead of just Zen Diver?

Enquiring minds want to know....
Was having site issues with Zen Diver, so I had to re-register and wanted to keep the same name. Zen Dive 2 it was :supz:

-Valerie
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

spatman wrote:
airsix wrote:I agree. My most recent Puget Sound dive was with PEZ and as we were gearing up in a light snow I heard several people walking by mumble the word "crazy"... and I felt proud. \:D/ I say embrace it. They're the crazy ones. 80% of all life is in the ocean and they're just walking down the sidewalk ignoring a treasure that's right under their noses.

-Ben
sorry to hijack the thread, but...

last december, i was leaving portland to meet penopolypants at Redondo. at 5:30 in the morning i head out, already dressed in my exotherm (hey why not?). i stop at the local starbuck's to grab some java and the cashier says, "so you heading up to the mountains today, eh?"
"scuba."

Agreed. When I was doing my rescue class last winter, I had noticed several times that my instructor tended to beg off dives if the weather was inclement (apparently he wanted it to be clement). I didn't care, I'd go in rain or whatever. Well, we had set up our open water work for New Year's Day, and he wanted to do it around 9 AM. I'm not a morning person and grumbled a little. Then the other student came in and said "No way I can make it at 9, I'm going to a party New Year's Eve on the other side of the Sound." So we set it for 1 PM instead. As I was getting ready to exit the shop, the instructor called after me and said "Wuss!" I turned around and said "Weather wimp!" He started to speak, then gave kind of a sheepish grin and said "Okay, you've got me there." He seems a bit more inclined to ignore the weather ever since then...
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

[quote="airsix... I say embrace it. They're the crazy ones. 80% of all life is in the ocean and they're just walking down the sidewalk ignoring a treasure that's right under their noses.

-Ben[/quote]

Good Grief! You mean Washingtonites and Alaskans agree on something??

In my limited experience the vast majority of people walk through life oblivious to the wonders around them. Maybe it is pain aversion. Maybe it is because they are so used to being hoodwinked and led around by the nose. Whatever, they have no clue the veneer of "civilization" is so thin and the wonders and dangers of nature are so close.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I am the Water doctor... the Master of all water...saltwater and fresh water.. I have had a Reef tank hobbie now for over ten years, and before that I ran freshwater aquariums.. My big 100 gallon is in storage right now, but my 29 gallon is set up here at my house. I fell into the Pool And Spa service industry in 1992, cause I needed a job to support my first kid at the time. I was a Valve technician for pulp and paper mills, but the timber industry went down the crapper in 1991 ( spotted Owl )
So back to my story, I worked for Pool companies learning all about our wonderfull water chemistry, and How pool water works, Ph, chlorine, calcium Harness, Phosphates , Nitrates, Cyanuric Acid, Total desolved Solids, Saturation Index....Should I go on...? In 1997 I started my Own company ....Northwest Pool Service..and I clean and Take care of all the Nice Rich People in the Greater eastside... So thats Why I am the H20 Doctor
Attachments
One of my Pools in Medina
One of my Pools in Medina
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

[quote="H20doctor"] Total desolved Solids, Saturation Index....Should I go on...? .....Please don't, i like pools

it took me awhile to finally read this one

nice-diver isn't too hard to figure out...i am nice guy who will be stuck single forever; it just leaves more cash for snorkels and cameras
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

ArcticDiver wrote:Good Grief! You mean Washingtonites and Alaskans agree on something??
Well kinda. I spent the first half of my life in Idaho and Alaska. By the time I got here (WA) I was pretty set in my ways. he he. Or were you talking about the blind masses agreeing with each other? he he. I love your comment "veneer of civilization". There's a lot of meaning in that.
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

I started on other boards as gis-gal. I am a GIS Analyst by trade.. (aka mapper)
I got tired of the need to explain or the strange looks and snickers. (Even my one son commented and snickered)
Signed up on a new board and wanted to have a new name.
Cold ~ Since I did most of my diving in the lovely tempid waters of Puget Sound
H2O ~ Since the water is where I love to be ~ I find it the perfect relaxer when I am needing to be soothed.

Since I have moved to Houston Texas (I really really miss all my dive buddies and Puget Sound) I have been told that I need to think up a new name.
Until I have spent as many hours in the Gulf and Texas waters as I have in Puget Sound ~ I will remain Cold_H2O
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Hmm, this is gonna be painfull..... #-o ](*,)

A little "prequil", for those who don't know me; I am SKINNY. When I wear shorts, it looks like I'm riding a chicken. If someone says I have a string hanging off my sleeve, it's probably my arm. If I get punched in the chest, my first concern is spine injuries. 'Nuff said. Now, about the name.......

Me and a few friends were at a Seahawks game at Qwest field, drinking sodas and ice water :partyman: :occasion5: and waiting for the game to start. They start announcing players over the intercom, and the cannons go off with a huge "BOOM" as they announce Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack, a 6-foot-4 328 lb Offensive Tackle. One of my "buddies" looks over and says to me, "Dude, we're never gonna call you Pork Chop." Another friend looks my way and says, "How about Fishstiq?" From that second on, I had no choice.
Attachments
Seahawks 008.jpg
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Fishstiq wrote:When I wear shorts, it looks like I'm riding a chicken. If someone says I have a string hanging off my sleeve, it's probably my arm. If I get punched in the chest, my first concern is spine injuries. 'Nuff said.
fishstiq is so skinny...
...his pants have one belt loop.
...he has to run around in the shower to get wet.
...if he wore a yellow suit, he'd look like a #2 pencil.
...he turned sideways and disappeared.
...he hula hoops with a cheerio.
...he has to wear a belt with spandex.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

"Riding" a chicken. Got it. That wasn't the first thing I thought of, but, yeah.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

i wear suspenders with spandex, thank you very much.....
Last edited by Fishstiq on Tue May 06, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Fishstiq wrote:i wear suspenders with spandex, than you very much.....
Uh oh, someone's been drinking! :partyman:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Fishtiq wrote:Last edited by Fishstiq on Tue May 06, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Too late! :laughing3:

-Ben
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Fishstiq wrote: it looks like I'm riding a chicken.
Is that what you kids are calling it these days?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Well most know my story... :smt035
Bass Guitar , not the Fish. My other hobby is playing bass guitar in a claasic rock band and at church.

So the actual pronunciation is BASE-MAN.

An ofcourse, don't foget he time Sparky's typo of leaving the "B" off of my name. #-o
:laughing3:
complete with its own smilie = :bootyshake:

That was a hijacked thread! But fun!

The first time I met Penelope, I asked her if she was Poly-proplyne-pants.
And she said "No but your close!"
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

I know mine may seem pretty obvious.. Cera Well my name is actually SARAH on my B-cert.. BUT there were 3 sarah's in my HS class of 40! so I had to at least spell my name different for everyone... so if you look through my HS yearbook, its spelled both ways, I guess I really confused some people! Any-who It kinda stuck and some people still don't know its not spelled CERA, but hey! (I thought about legally changing it but this was BEFORE the movie "Land Before Time", now there are kids named Cera all over the place; I just cant win!)

I also use JSscubamom because I used to work for Jefferson State Dive Locker and I tended to take care of everyone so they all started calling me the scubamom... :partyman:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

CaptnJack wrote:Years ago I signed up on NWD2D the same day I got my USCG master's license - thats the "Capt" half. Despite what the telmarketers tell me, Jack is my last name. Although a better fit would be "Ron" :)
Wasn't there a comedy movie with a "Capt Jack"? Something about a sinking boat.
Charles
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Re: What does your user name represent?

Post by Aquanautchuck »

When I was a kid I loved "Sea Hunt" it was why I always wanted to dive. I remember someone called a diver a Aquanaut. Years ago when I first went on line and registered a name Aquanaut was already used. So I just added Chuck at the end. I still like the name but it is a pain in the :bootyshake: to type it fast some times.
Charles
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

BASSMAN wrote: The first time I met Penelope, I asked her if she was Poly-proplyne-pants.
And she said "No but your close!"
I remember that! I thought it was cool that you even tried to pronounce it! :supz: Most people look at me kind of confused and say something like "So......pants. What's up?"
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!