So Sick Of Gas Prices...!!!!!!!!!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

So Sick Of Gas Prices...!!!!!!!!!

Post by H20doctor »

The gas thing is really Hacking me off... Not only do I drive everyday from lake stevens to the eastside and then back Home again. But I spend over $8,000.00 yes 8K a year on gas...!!!!!!! Oil is 123.00 a barrel and it keeps going up because the stock keeps going up.. Funny how we take it, but we cant do anything about it...? ( Did you know that the are now showing x rated movies at the pump while you get gas....? Ya its stars all of us..and were getting screwed.!!!!..LOL )
My client drive 2 Hummers...it cost him over 100.00 of diesel to fill up. over a 100.00 Bones. And did you know that they can make Bio diesel out of a Grass weed...a WEED... not grain, or corn ,or rice, ...A WEED...!!!! AAARRRRRRRRGGHHHHHHHHH
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: So Sick Of Gas Prices...!!!!!!!!!

Post by Scubak »

Tell us how you really feel! :)
I can really understand...Gas prices are getting truly out of hand and they are predicting that oil will go to 200$ a barrel.
K
"Let's go diving!"
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I was at the local stop and rob the other day. I realized I was purchasing the two most important fluids on the planet.........GAS and BEER. Funny thing is, my attitude about them is identical. Consume as much as I can afford. Eventually the GAS will run out. But I'll be too intoxicated to care! :partyman:
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

"my client drives 2 hummers"

i feel so very, very sorry for him...

not.

buy a hybrid and/or buy a smaller car and/or drive less.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Scubak wrote:Tell us how you really feel! :)
I can really understand...Gas prices are getting truly out of hand and they are predicting that oil will go to 200$ a barrel.
K
Goldman Sachs is predicting that.

They were also telling everyone on wall street to load up on CDOs right as they were unloading all their positions and aggressively shorting that market right before the bottom dropped out of it.

GS is a fairly evil corporation and they tend to make announcements which further their own interests.

The current oil price spike is fairly unsustainable and other commodities have already broken down. I doubt it will reach to $200/bbl before it breaks down.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Pez7378 wrote:I was at the local stop and rob the other day. I realized I was purchasing the two most important fluids on the planet.........GAS and BEER. Funny thing is, my attitude about them is identical. Consume as much as I can afford. Eventually the GAS will run out. But I'll be too intoxicated to care! :partyman:
Not as long as week keep plowing under barley fields to grow more soybeans for Biodiesel. :angryfire:

Lets not forget that the "big three" (Bud/Miller/Coors) have changed the way they pay for hops, causing the growers to grow a smaller variety. Couple that with world wide poor growing season for hops last year, and you won't be able to afford to get drunk either.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:

Lets not forget that the "big three" (Bud/Miller/Coors) have changed the way they pay for hops, causing the growers to grow a smaller variety. Couple that with world wide poor growing season for hops last year, and you won't be able to afford to get drunk either.

Good thing we have you if all else fails! You should try making a special Diving blend from Seaweed. :occasion5:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Somehow I doubt that would be very good. I try to stay away from adding things high in slat to beer... :vom:
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

we have just started to see beer prices go up at work, we had to put up signage explaining the hops issue so as not to shock the customers. looks like it will be adding around a $1-1.50 to a 6 pack of good beer. some local breweries also stopped making certain beer styles since its not economic. pretty sad really. guess its time to go back to whiskey!!
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I just read that the US has the 3rd largest oil reserves in the world. What we need to do is begin drilling, if we pump our own oil the arabs will have no choice but to lower prices.

Hybreds are NOT the answer, most are worse for the environment, in their total life than the cars that they replace. I saw an article where they compared the Hummer H3 to a Prius and the Hummer was better, long term, for the environment due to the chemicals in the battery packs that need to be changed out every 5-7 years at something like $10,000.00 a pop.

Now they want us to use ethenol which takes more fuel to produce than it replaces not to mention it's main production by-product is, Hello, CO2 a greenhouse gas we are supposed to be reducing to "save the world".

Okay, I'll stop ranting now....
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Whoa! wait a minute, can we get back to the Beer?!?!?! :smt119 You mean to tell me the price of Beer is going up too? :crybaby:
Burtchef wrote:guess its time to go back to whiskey!!
Whew, that was a close call! Thank God :prayer: Howard has a solution to the problem. :partyman:

Okay we can go back to talking about GAS again..........................
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Whiskey is made from grains also..... ](*,)
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

TCWestby wrote:I just read that the US has the 3rd largest oil reserves in the world. What we need to do is begin drilling, if we pump our own oil the arabs will have no choice but to lower prices.

I grew up on the edge of a very large oil field in Montana called the Williston basin. There is a very high producing zone there called the Bakken zone. They are having a difficult time drilling it because it is a thin layer so I believe that it has to be horizontally drilled. Also drilling rigs are in such demand right now, they don't have the resources to go after it.
Life is good, let's dive!!
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

My husband keeps telling me we get 90 % of our oil from canada, its not the arab nations; its our politicans that are screwing us... they don't even try to regulate the oil industries.. we use less so the companies refine less, its pretty fricking magical. Now they are proposing a gas tax holiday!! wow 18cents a gallon will save the average person 30$ over the summer... but cut millions of funding to all of our roadways, which are already short on funds because of stupid politicians... AARRRGGG...If only we ran the world :laughing3:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Nwbrewer wrote:Whiskey is made from grains also..... ](*,)

yea but corn ,rye, and potatos are cheap :supz:
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

[quote="TCWestby"]I just read that the US has the 3rd largest oil reserves in the world. What we need to do is begin drilling, if we pump our own oil the arabs will have no choice but to lower prices.
quote]

Except most of our oil reserves fall in the middle of national parks... George bush has been trying to drill in parks for years! The answer is alternative sources.... Of course, that is if the oil companies don't buy the rights to them and keep them off the market for years like they did with fuel cells.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Cera wrote: they don't even try to regulate the oil industries..
Huh?!? If we could drill where there are known reserves, and build new refineries, supply would increase, cost would go down, as would dependence on foreign oil. Anybody check on when our latest domestic oil discoveries were or when the last refinery was built? We have refineries that are operating on 70's technology and cant' be upgraded because of over-regulation. The reason we can't do those things is because of our own government's regulations and environmental policies that are 30 years old. Whoo boy...

But there's plenty of blame to go around in this whole stinkin' mess...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

The parks can be drilled with minimal disturbance, we no longer have to make a mess and with horizontal drilling we don't have to be all over the place.

I agree that the politicians are a big problem but part ofvthat is the whiney envirementalists. Don't get me wrong, I want to protect the earth but we need to do something now!

Alternatives take time to develop, though I was reading today about a company in Spokane that makes fuel cels for powering communication vendors to use as backup.

We also need more nuculear plants to provide electricity.

I say fire all the politicians and replace them with real folks that will listen to the people.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Gotta chime in here.....

There are 2 reasons for high gas prices. #1, supply and demand. Demand is increasing with the industrialization and economic growth of countries like China and India, and supply is dwindeling due to a lack of willingness to drill in known but untapped areas. #2, the weakening dollar in the world marketplace. And since I hate to complain without providing a solution to the problem...

The reason we "lack" supply is because we are not willing to drill in oil reserves off the coast of Florida and California, in the Gulf of Mexico, in Alaska, and in one of the largest oil deposits in the world in North Dakota. Oh, and by off the coast, I mean farther out than you could possibly see, even with a substantial boat ride. Why will we not drill off the coast? Because we don't want to "destroy the environment". Guess what? OTHER COUNTRIES LIKE CHINA ARE DRILLING THERE!!!!! Maybe I'm just a dreamer, but I'd like to think we could be at least as responsible as a country that is drilling off our coast with NO stake in the local environment. Why will we not drill in Alaska? Again, the environment. Last time we drilled there and created a pipeline, not only did the surrounding Alaskan community's economy get a boost, but so did the environment. Among other things, the Carabou population increased exponentially because they were able to survive harsh winter conditions thanks to the heat created near the pipeline that melted snow and made food accessable. And why not in N. Dakota? Well, you got me there.

As for the weakening dollar, the solution is actually pretty simple. The FED increases it's rate by 3 points or more. Another solution? STOP TAXING THE BEJEZUS OUT OF US!!!!!! Food for thought.

Just so everyone knows.... Senator Clinton has proposed a Gas Tax Holiday for the summer, where federal gas tax will be removed from gasoline sales for the summer months. This will lower the cost of gasoline about $0.22 per gallon. She then states that the government will "make up for the lost revenue" by placing a tax on the windfall profits of oil companies. I don't know what a windfall profit is or who defines that, but I do know that if you increase the taxes upon a company it will simply increase the cost of it's product, thereby passing said cost on to the consumer. Yup, you'll pay the federal tax anyway, just in a different way. You'd think a candidate for the Presedency of the United States would have a better grasp on economics than a truck driver.....

Last thing, I promise... The oil companies who search for, drill for, refine, ship and deliver the gas make an average of $0.08 per gallon. The federal government, who has no hand in this process, taxes you $0.22 per gallon. Honestly, who needs to be regulated?
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Did you just use the word "exponentially"??? :smt119 ..................Joe, that guy is using you computer again!!!!
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

TCWestby wrote:I just read that the US has the 3rd largest oil reserves in the world. What we need to do is begin drilling, if we pump our own oil the arabs will have no choice but to lower prices.
No, we need to leave the carbon in the ground.

The Earth is considerably colder now than it was back in the Jurassic because all the CO2 in the air back then has been sequestered in coal, oil and gas deposits. If we dig up all the carbon and turn it all back into CO2, we'll turn the climate back to the temperatures that prevailed in the Jurassic. We need to leave the carbon in the ground and keep it out of the air.

Also, we can't pump our own oil fast enough to make a difference in global oil supply. While there are reserves in the US, it'll take a decade to put another Mbbl/day of pumping capacity online, but China has been increasing its consumption at a rate of 1 Mbbl/day per year. So, even if you could do a decade of work in exploiting ANWR in a single year you'd still be only treading water. Exploit the US oil reserves as fast as you can and it won't have any effect on oil or gasoline prices.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Cera wrote:My husband keeps telling me we get 90 % of our oil from canada, its not the arab nations; its our politicans that are screwing us... they don't even try to regulate the oil industries.. we use less so the companies refine less, its pretty fricking magical. Now they are proposing a gas tax holiday!! wow 18cents a gallon will save the average person 30$ over the summer... but cut millions of funding to all of our roadways, which are already short on funds because of stupid politicians... AARRRGGG...If only we ran the world :laughing3:
It doesn't work that way. The price is set via demand from customers and supply. If you cut the gas tax out, the pump price won't decline.

And the WA and ID state attorneys general has investigated gas prices and determined that there's no price fixing, its simply supply and demand economics which is pushing up prices.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Fishstiq wrote: The reason we "lack" supply is because we are not willing to drill in oil reserves off the coast of Florida and California, in the Gulf of Mexico, in Alaska, and in one of the largest oil deposits in the world in North Dakota.
From the Bush Administration’s Energy Information Administration 2004 Congressional-requested "Analysis of Oil and Gas production in ANWR":

"It is expected that the price impact of ANWR coastal plain production might reduce world oilprices by as much as 30 to 50 cents per barrel [in 2025]."

Also:

"Assuming that world oil markets continue to work as they do today, the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries could countermand any potential price impact of ANWR coastal plain production by reducing its exports by an equal amount."

ANWR is not a Saudi Arabian Ghawar oil field. It's just trying to bail faster as the ship goes down, it doesn't solve the fundamental problem...
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Well we do have Lots of Oil in the us... Texas... alaska.... and off shore thats for sure.... But the oil in the alaska Pipeline is too full of sulfur and cost too much to refine for car fuel...So they dont want to refine our oil in alaska Boo Hoo.. I am sick of this Fuel Lie... Now lets drink some Beer.. Ice cold Mac N Jack
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

H20doctor wrote:Well we do have Lots of Oil in the us... Texas... alaska.... and off shore thats for sure.... But the oil in the alaska Pipeline is too full of sulfur and cost too much to refine for car fuel...So they dont want to refine our oil in alaska Boo Hoo.. I am sick of this Fuel Lie... Now lets drink some Beer.. Ice cold Mac N Jack
Texas production has peaked and is declining. You also aren't going to get more than about 1Mbd production capacity out of offshore gulf of mexico oil over the next couple of decades.

There is a bunch of oil out there, but it isn't anywhere near as large and as easy to get at as Ghawar. We fundamentally cannot address high oil prices through the supply side. We have to reduce demand.

And technically oil prices will just rise until economic activity is hurt enough for demand to decrease -- either we are going to conserve and develop alternative energy sources, or oil demand will fall through global economic contraction.