Question

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Question

Post by Joshua Smith »

If you could have either Time in a bottle, or Lightning in a bottle, which one would you choose, and why?

I'll post my answer after you all make fun of me, and question my sanity and sobriety.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Question

Post by Sounder »

What about a message in a bottle?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sounder wrote:What about a message in a bottle?

Those are good, too, but not one of the choices. It's a little bit like the one where you have to choose whether to have the power of invisibility, or the ability to fly.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'd take time in a bottle, and I suspect if people really make an effort to answer your question, they'll sort themselves by age. I can live without lightning, but I'd like a little more time.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LCF wrote:I'd take time in a bottle, and I suspect if people really make an effort to answer your question, they'll sort themselves by age. I can live without lightning, but I'd like a little more time.
Very perceptive response. I favor lightning, but I'm leaning towards time.

And I will have a hard time letting go of the lightning, if it ever comes to that. What good is time, if you have no lightning, after all? :axe:

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'd take the time ... and I agree with Lynne, I think it's going to depend on age.

Time seems to speed up as you get older, and all of a sudden there's just not enough of it. Having some bottled up sure would make life a lot easier at times.

I'll take the extra jumbo size bottle, if you please ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I would want water because then i could dive anywhere, just ope he bottle :dontknow:

no really i want time in a bottle
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i would take the time bottle too, but i would like to borrow your lightening occasionally. i would be happy to compensate you with some time in return.

:occasion5:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Interesting. I see this sort of like "immortality vs. wild magic power." And I wish I had more free time to do the things I want to do, but I don't want to live forever, either. So- lightning for me.

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

If I'm driving or working, Lightning! If Im having fun then I want time.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Nailer99 wrote:If you could have either Time in a bottle, or Lightning in a bottle, which one would you choose, and why?

I'll post my answer after you all make fun of me, and question my sanity and sobriety.
I always liked Jim Croce..... (Time in a Bottle.... and Yes, I know I'm dating myself...)

I've never questioned your sanity Nailer, I KNOW you're crazy.... :bootyshake:

-Valerie
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Howcum "Breakfast in a Bottle" wasn't a choice? :partyman:
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Fishstiq wrote:Howcum "Breakfast in a Bottle" wasn't a choice? :partyman:
:laughing3: Well it's readily available. Josh is looking to expand his bottle collection to something more advanced. As captain of this pirate ship he's got BIB down pat.

Nailer, I have to say time. As I think over the events of my life I can identify many times that a little time sprinkled here and there would have been very helpful. I can't think of any events where the use of lightning would have had a positive impact. I can think of times it may have been used, or threatened to be used, but doing so would almost surely have led to regret and suffering. :dontknow:

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

airsix wrote:I can't think of any events where the use of lightning would have had a positive impact. I can think of times it may have been used, or threatened to be used, but doing so would almost surely have led to regret and suffering.
But- one could unleash ones lightning to smite mighty blows against ones enemies, couldn't one? I'm just not seeing a downside to that.
I've heard people describe falling in love as capturing lightning in a bottle, too.

Sure, time in a bottle sounds cool, but what if you were stuck in traffic in 95 degree heat with a busted air conditioner and you accidentally spilled your bottle? Everything would turn all sepia-toned, like a Ken Burns documentary, and you'd spend a subjective equivilant of 17 months stuck on I-5. I don't know about you, but I'd have to break my time-bottle on the dashboard and use the jagged glass to slash my arteries and watch all the sepia-toned blood spill onto the floorboards as Jim Croce played his soothing melodies.
I'm just sayin', there could be some potential downsides to the whole "time" deal, versus having the wild, magical power of the lightning.

Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

Nailer99 wrote:If you could have either Time in a bottle, or Lightning in a bottle, which one would you choose, and why?

Ein bier, bitte.

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nailer99 wrote:Sure, time in a bottle sounds cool, but what if you were stuck in traffic in 95 degree heat with a busted air conditioner and you accidentally spilled your bottle? Everything would turn all sepia-toned, like a Ken Burns documentary, and you'd spend a subjective equivilant of 17 months stuck on I-5. I don't know about you, but I'd have to break my time-bottle on the dashboard and use the jagged glass to slash my arteries and watch all the sepia-toned blood spill onto the floorboards as Jim Croce played his soothing melodies.
well, that would serve you right for keeping your bottled time in the cup holder, and also for keeping a lot of time all in one place. i'd probably divide mine into as many small doses as possible, so if i did do something stupid, like drop my airplane bottle of time while visiting my grandmother for lunch in her "retirement community", i'd only have to suffer a few days of mushy peas, flavorless chicken, and the continuous onslaught of health related updates from every single resident present, as opposed to many months or even years of suffering in that yet unnamed level of Dante's hell.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Surely those who would choose to have lightning in a bottle, would require a substantial amount of time to determine if their chosen use for their chosen contents would truly be appropriate. I rescind my previous comment about having lightning at work, or while driving as I know I would not be rational enough to use it sparingly. My time however is precious, and I would use it judiciously.

I believe that if we all spent a little of our time together, we would not be so hasty to wish for bottled lightning with which to strike each other down.
Last edited by Pez7378 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pez7378 wrote:I believe that if we all spent a little of our time together, we would not be so hasty to wish for bottled lightning with which to strike each other down.
i think your new avatar is starting to affect your behavior... a kinder, gentler Pez...
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

:prayer: (batting eyelashes) :evil4:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I just had a pretty cool idea- I'm saving up money for a scooter right now. I think maybe I'll get 2 smallish plaques made- one that says "time" and one that says "lightning."

"Time" could go on my Rebreather and "lightning" could go on the scoot!

:supz:

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

so what prompted you to post this question in the first place?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:so what prompted you to post this question in the first place?
The same thing that makes me wonder who would win a war between the Space Marines and the Space Vampires.

I ponder the really important questions, while other people agonize about trivial things.

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nailer99 wrote:The same thing that makes me wonder who would win a war between the Space Marines and the Space Vampires.

I ponder the really important questions, while other people agonize about trivial things.
what's to ponder? the vampires already won.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:The same thing that makes me wonder who would win a war between the Space Marines and the Space Vampires.

Maybe. But in my mind, the eternal battle rages on. Perhaps the Space Marines have figured out how to add pulverized garlic to the rounds from their plasma rifles?

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nailer99 wrote:
spatman wrote:

Maybe. But in my mind, the eternal battle rages on. Perhaps the Space Marines have figured out how to add pulverized garlic to the rounds from their plasma rifles?
c'mon, nailer, everybody knows space vampires' body armor reflects the plasma rounds. the only way to defeat them is to throw a space hippie at them, wait for them to start hallucinating from residual psychedelic spores of quark ZR109 in the space hippie's blood, then offer the vampires garlic-laced munchies. the main problem with this approach that the maturation of psychedelic spores occurs once every 10 saturn years, so the supply is dwindling. and so is the supply of space hippies for obvious reasons.