Be my guest...rip into me.

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
oregondiver
Submariner

Be my guest...rip into me.

Post by oregondiver »

Howdy.
I am writing this email to a hidden select few. Since they are hidden, I don't know exactly who to email, but I suspect they are pretty high up on the NWDC group.

There are rumors circulating (yes, you know who you are) that I have gas management issues. How many people are you going to email about me? How many people now do not want to dive with me because of ONE FRIGGING UNFORTUNATE INCIDENT this weekend (that your emails are perpetuating)?

Instead of using your energies and knowledge to talk to me and spend the time re-educating me...you are besmirching my name in mud.I will be lucky if only one person wants to dive with me by the time you are done. It actually makes me want to cry (and I did earlier, but I was also at the dentist so take your pick which hurt more), but that is OK. You live with your karma and I will...well, probably be reluctant to join on club dives again. Only out of embarassment and possible inability to find someone to dive with, due to your diligent efforts.

So, when you sent out your emails talking about me to others, did you even think I would call you out? Or are you perfectly happy to talk smack behind someones back? If this is what NWDC is about, then I probably don't fit in here. And I think that makes me even sadder than before. I was excited to dive with all these happy excited divers, now I am just plain ole reluctant.

To all the other people who have no idea what I am talking about....I am sure someone will educate you since they aren't trying to educate me directly, only through a round-about means. So for all others...Sorry for taking up bandwidth with my pity party.
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
BDub
I've Got Gills

Re: Be my guest...rip into me.

Post by BDub »

oregondiver wrote:Howdy.
I am writing this email to a hidden select few. Since they are hidden, I don't know exactly who to email, but I suspect they are pretty high up on the NWDC group.

There are rumors circulating (yes, you know who you are) that I have gas management issues. How many people are you going to email about me? How many people now do not want to dive with me because of ONE FRIGGING UNFORTUNATE INCIDENT this weekend (that your emails are perpetuating)?

Instead of using your energies and knowledge to talk to me and spend the time re-educating me...you are besmirching my name in mud.I will be lucky if only one person wants to dive with me by the time you are done. It actually makes me want to cry (and I did earlier, but I was also at the dentist so take your pick which hurt more), but that is OK. You live with your karma and I will...well, probably be reluctant to join on club dives again. Only out of embarassment and possible inability to find someone to dive with, due to your diligent efforts.

So, when you sent out your emails talking about me to others, did you even think I would call you out? Or are you perfectly happy to talk smack behind someones back? If this is what NWDC is about, then I probably don't fit in here. And I think that makes me even sadder than before. I was excited to dive with all these happy excited divers, now I am just plain ole reluctant.

To all the other people who have no idea what I am talking about....I am sure someone will educate you since they aren't trying to educate me directly, only through a round-about means. So for all others...Sorry for taking up bandwidth with my pity party.
I'm not sure what happened, as I wasn't at the club dive, but everyone makes mistakes. Lord knows I've made plenty of them underwater. Anyone who says they haven't are lying.

Don't focus on the negative...focus on learning from your mistake and fixing it. Making a mistake isn't a big deal. Not learning from it is.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I have to guess what you're talking about by reading between the lines, but I haven't received anything about you or anyone else. And anybody who rips someone for gas issues has forgotten where they came from, because we all start out in the same place and we're all on the same journey. I'm sorry this happened to you, and if I get such a message, be assured that you won't be the one I rip into. I'm an a**hole by nature, and when provoked I can really make it work for me :boxing:

As for the club, don't give up on the rest of us because of one idiot. Diving? Let me know when you're up this way and we'll go with you any time we're available.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

hey shell

i sent you a PM, but i just want to say publicly that i am happy to share with you what i know about gas management and show you other resources if you're interested. i'll also go diving with you anytime.

i know these things can be upsetting, especially how they can get out of control on the internet, but please don't judge NWDC to harshly as a whole. the folks here are great people and divers and most of what we get bent out of shape about is safety.

and sorry about the dentist. mine makes me cry sometimes, too. usually when i see the bill.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I'll second what BDub said. Learn from your mistakes and move on. The only people I refuse to dive with are those who refuse to learn from past errors. I've done my share of dumb things underwater.

Rather than worry about what others are saying behind your back, tell us what happened, WHY you think it happened, and what you intend to do to correct it. If you can get that far, you're well on your way to becoming a better diver.

Hey I went virtually OOA in my OW class.... :pale:

Jake
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Shell, I have no idea what happened ... I wasn't there and I haven't heard anyone mention it.

But we all make mistakes. The key thing is to learn from them.

If you'd like to talk about it privately, send me a PM. Many here can tell you that gas management is a pet subject of mine, and I have helped a lot of people learn more about how to plan their dives in such a way that they never have to worry about running out of air.

I'm happy to help you to ... as always with this topic, there's no charge for my time or efforts. I just want you and everyone else to dive safe.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Geeze, oregondiver- calm down! It'll definitely help with any gas management issues you might have! Look at this thread- I see a bunch of people offering to HELP you- THAT'S what NWDC is all about. If you have issues with people doing stuff somewhere off this site, I don't see how you can reasonably blame this site for it. Please, take Bdub and Gratefull diver up on their offers- they are 2 of the most accomplished instructors I have ever met- when people like that offer to help you out, I can only say that it would be your loss if you choose to ignore it.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

You are the right person for this club. You will find no shortage of club members willing to dive with you, myself included. The fact that you admit you had a problem, and are eager to address it is all I need to know about you.

Who won't I dive with? The person who thinks they have learned it all and never makes mistakes. THAT is the dangerous person, not you.

I have more to say that you will find in your PM inbox. Chin-up.

-Ben (who personally has lots to learn and regularly makes mistakes)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Samson

Post by Samson »

I thought that he must have ate too many burritos at the BBQ or something and ran a bunch of you out of the house or something of that nature!!!! :partyman: \:D/ :laughing3: Now that is something that I can understand someone giving your crap about!!! LMAO!!!!

As everyone previously has stated,. we all make mistakes.. its how we learn... I know I am gonna make my share....
Dont let one guy put ya down bro.....

Samson-
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

This is fu$%ing bullshit, I was there and I am totally turned off to who ever started this crap. YOU know who you are and I am so pissed I can't explain it. Shell a friend of mine is a fine diver and I WILL dive with her any time, any where. She may have done a dive without the proper gas planning, but talking about her behind her back is outrageous and makes we want to punch someone in the Jejunum. :boxing:

Ihave gotten emails and PMs about her dive, Stop askiing me what happened and leave me out of this. I talked with her after the dive and she understood. So people need to get a life and stop talking about this incident. I forgot about it after the dive, who remembers this sort of stuff 72 hours later, the people that like to Gossip :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: This is so Over now I am going to lock this thread and Enough is enough. Karma is a bitch so stop Spreading RUMORS People :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

=D> =D> :salute: :salute:

Well said.

I don't know what a Jejunum is, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to get punched there! :pale:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Gotta say- BJ's heart is in the right place, here. I'm not gonna lock the thread; but after talking to a few people about "all this", I'm sorta hoping it just fades away. All the "he said, she said" pms and gossip have a nasty way of hurting people's feelings, and I'm hoping we can just move past it......

Maverick wrote:This is fu$%ing bullshit, I was there and I am totally turned off to who ever started this crap. YOU know who you are and I am so pissed I can't explain it. Shell a friend of mine is a fine diver and I WILL dive with her any time, any where. She may have done a dive without the proper gas planning, but talking about her behind her back is outrageous and makes we want to punch someone in the Jejunum. :boxing:

Ihave gotten emails and PMs about her dive, Stop askiing me what happened and leave me out of this. I talked with her after the dive and she understood. So people need to get a life and stop talking about this incident. I forgot about it after the dive, who remembers this sort of stuff 72 hours later, the people that like to Gossip :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: This is so Over now I am going to lock this thread and Enough is enough. Karma is a bitch so stop Spreading RUMORS People :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

The Jejunum is the upper portion of the small intestine, guaranteed to make you :vom: if punched there :laughing3:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Maverick wrote:The Jejunum is the upper portion of the small intestine, guaranteed to make you :vom: if punched there :laughing3:
Well THAT's my problem! I've been punching people in the duodenum and ileum. :evil4:

Kidding and just trying to lighten the mood. \:D/
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

airsix wrote:
Maverick wrote:The Jejunum is the upper portion of the small intestine, guaranteed to make you :vom: if punched there :laughing3:
Well THAT's my problem! I've been punching people in the duodenum and ileum. :evil4:

Kidding and just trying to lighten the mood. \:D/

you're just.... just dangerous...... I don't know if we can be friends.... \:D/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Yikes! Just found this thread after a very busy day...

Don't know what happened behind the scenes, or who thought what, or said what or what got understood / misunderstood, etc. etc. (Being the typically clueless male that I am!)

I'll dive with you anytime, anywhere (well, ALMOST anywhere!) and will be more than happy to talk diving philosophy, gas management, or the Mariners :violent1: with you (or anyone else) anytime, anywhere. And for what it's worth, I haven't heard of ANYONE who said they wouldn't dive with you or anything else remotely negative. We've all made mistakes and said things we regret, and we're all learning in the process.

Here's hoping you have a better day than this one!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'm wary of diving with anyone who claims not to ever have had a gas management issue. So, Shell, consider me an available dive buddy. \:D/
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I have had sooooo many messed up dives its crazy.. On one dive from 75 feet to 15 I sucked down a 1000 psi in 8 mins !!! Cause I was spooked on a night dive... Another dive at edmonds U P I couldn't free descend at night cause I was so terrified something was down there it was going to get me .. It took me 15 to calm down and I was diving with 6 other divers and they all waited for me. I eventually had to drop on one of the floating bouy lines. Then once down I only lasted 10 mins into the dive because I thought the freeking ferry was going to come and chew me up. I panicked and has to surface . :smt038. Trust me I've done worse as a diver.. Be patient and take it one dive at a time and you get there ..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

See. Shell?

Face it ... you're part of our family ... which means you're stuck with us ... :supz:

Let's just go diving ... it gets easier with practice ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, I have no idea what happened, but if my buddies had decided not to dive with me because I made mistakes when I was a beginner, then I'd have no dive buddies at all. We all make mistakes, and as long as everybody ends up okay and you learn from them, then the end result is positive.

Anybody with a good attitude, who is willing to learn, can dive with me any time.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

LCF wrote: Anybody with a good attitude, who is willing to learn, can dive with me any time.
Well said Lynne.

Shell, I don't know you, but if there are people out there throwing you under the bus because you made a mistake or didn't know something, screw them.

You seem to be willing to learn, we all make mistakes, and people should lay off. I hope you keep diving, I hope you learn from whatever happened, and I hope you keep diving fun for you.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

At first I thought, what a strange invitation! Haha

Shell, you know you've got more reliable dive buddies up here than you could have ever imagined. You are an accomplished diver, and what makes you a fantastic dive buddy is that you know you still have much to learn. I'm sorry I missed the club dive, but if anyone wants to talk smack about peoples skills, get ahold of me because I just returned from a place where a "bubbling" tank valve is "normal" and Wreck penetrations without redundant gas supplies, proper lights, or reels is no problem either. In fact, few that I observed inside the wrecks lacked bouyancy skills suitable for reef diving let alone wreck penetrations.

Oh and by the way, I too was inside these wrecks, even though I lacked the proper equipment and training and frankly knew damn well I shouldn't have been there. These weren't deep penetrations mind you, but on occasion I was well outside of the daylight zone.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Pez7378 wrote: Oh and by the way, I too was inside these wrecks, even though I lacked the proper equipment and training and frankly knew damn well I shouldn't have been there. These weren't deep penetrations mind you, but on occasion I was well outside of the daylight zone.
#-o

[-X

:boxing:

:violent1:

:crybaby:

:occasion5:

:partyman:

:notworthy:

Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Pez7378 wrote: Oh and by the way, I too was inside these wrecks, even though I lacked the proper equipment and training and frankly knew damn well I shouldn't have been there. These weren't deep penetrations mind you, but on occasion I was well outside of the daylight zone.
#-o

[-X

:boxing:

:violent1:

:crybaby:

:occasion5:

:partyman:

:notworthy:
I'm with you right up until the :occasion5: ..... Pez, you know better. Stop trying to impress :prayer: .

:evil4:
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Pez7378 wrote:... I just returned from a place where a "bubbling" tank valve is "normal" and Wreck penetrations without redundant gas supplies, proper lights, or reels is no problem either. In fact, few that I observed inside the wrecks lacked bouyancy skills suitable for reef diving let alone wreck penetrations.
Indeed. The rest of the world is not nearly as safety conscious as the members of this board. I've seen some things that, well, shouldn't be discussed in daylight. :la:

Maybe we need a private (or better yet, anonymous?) forum on the board where we can tell scary tales without fear of being trash-talked by fellow NWDC members. Jus' thinkin' out loud...

glenn