Board Problems

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Board Problems

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

When I try to access the "new posts since last visit" feature all I get is the "No New Posts" message, even tho there are in fact many new posts. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm logged in when I try this, if that makes a difference at all.

-Valerie
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Are you sure your not talking about a different website?? Or mabey I dont know where that link is. But I do have issue with if I click a link, then when I refresh the page all the new post listings are gone.. Is that what you referring to? Of course I am on "dial up" ](*,) so I never know what to expect..
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Val, I visit this page often. Actually, I go there instead of the front page. Keep in mind that when you visit any page on NWDC you get a 'session cookie'. So, once you visit the site and you're logged in here for a predetermined amount of time, the clock 'resets' on the posts that are new since your last visit. The same thing happens to me (all cleared out even though I haven't seen all the new stuff) if I leave NWDC open in another browser window while I'm doing something else.

I hope that helps.

Calvin
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Okay, I still can't access the "New since last visit" section. If I log out, log in, stay logged in even if I close the window, it still happens. In order to read new posts I have to wade and sift thro all the different forum sections, scan the dates and look for posts. Time consuming to say the least.

Any ideas? This doesn't happen on other boards and I'm stumped.

-Valerie
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Did you turn cookies off?
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Just cleaned off my cookies etc. When I first started coming here I could use the "New since last visit" feature but not anymore. Today, when I log in and try to respond, I have to log in again before it will let me.

Gremlins? Computer Gods messing with me?

-Valerie ](*,)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hmmmm... do you have the little checkbox checked for 'Log me on automatically each visit'?

That might help. So, are there two problems:

- you have to keep logging in
- show new posts since last visit doesn't work

??
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Yep, I have the auto log-on checked. If I log out, when I log back in I can read the posts, but when I try to respond, I have to log in again, each time I try to reply to a post.

-Valerie
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Test (this is Calvin logged in as Zen Diver)
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

test.
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

test.
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

test.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I don't know what to tell you. I logged in as you and tried visiting, leaving, going to the unread messages with the box check and unchecked, posted messages, quit the browser and reopened and posted again. I did all the usual actions and the site behaved just as it does with my account (properly). I'm stumped.

You said that you did clear your cookies at one point, right? Has the site always been malfunctioning or is this recent? If it hasn't always behaved this way, is there anything you can think of that you might've installed, or any setting you changed around the time this started happening?

Does anyone else have these problems?

Thanks for helping me to de-bug, I know you're probably frustrated and I'm sorry I haven't been able to find a solution yet.

Calvin
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I have occasionally had this same problem.
Actually, earlier today when I signed on and hit the "View posts since last visit" it said there weren't any although there were many. Then when I logged on this evening, there was no problem.
Last edited by WylerBear on Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

The problem has been going on for a month or two; it didn't at the beginning.

Tonight, with a different password, I log on, again, with the "view new posts since last visit" I get "no posts" even tho there are many. Also, I log on, and if I choose to respond to a post I get the log-on screen again. I log on a second time and I can then post, sometimes.

Very odd.

-Valerie
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

testing testing testing

-Valerie (as Valerie, trying to get this weirdness figured out :book: )
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Seems to be working... here's a "new message" for you to play with. :salute:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Sorry Soundman, it may be working for you but not for me. I can at least post, but I still get the "no new posts" screen. Tonight I logged on, hit the "new since last vist" and it did bring me to new posts, but only the first two actually took me to the new posts. After that I continued to get "no new posts" even tho there very clearly were new posts.

Sigh...

-Valerie
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'm at my wits end. I don't suppose you have another browser to use to try it? If you're not using Firefox you probably should give it a go anyway, it's pretty good (and I believe a new version is out shortly, to compete with IE7).

I wish I could solve this problem! ](*,)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Sorry that didn't help. I saw that you'd just posted and were still online so I thought I'd drop a quick post to give you a "new message" to see if it worked. ](*,)
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Zen Diver »

Well, I don't know if it was Calvin's magic or that the Computer Gods have smiled upon me, but things are working this morning! It's been a long long time and I'd stopped frequenting because it was just too frustrating and time consuming. ](*,)

A huge THANK YOU to Calvin for all the time and effort in trouble shooting. :salute:

-Valerie
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Hmmmm....I see that you are logged in as "Zen Diver 2". Does everything work correctly when you log in using your original "Zen Diver" member log-on?

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

W00t W00t! =D>

Very cool. There's no crossed fingers smiley, but I'd be using one now if there were. :supz:
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

John Rawlings wrote:Hmmmm....I see that you are logged in as "Zen Diver 2". Does everything work correctly when you log in using your original "Zen Diver" member log-on?

- John
Can't seem to log in using the original Zen Diver anymore. Says that account is not active.

-Valerie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

identity crisis? :pale: